Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Andrew Berg lived on Tustumena Lake. He eventually built a few cabins around it to have places to stay during trapping season. He guided hunts, hunted, fished, and was kind of a game warden. The book was great in that it was a daily journal of everything he did from household chores, baking bread, and the trials and tribulations of a remote life style.
He told of a couple heart attacks and just lying in the bush until it past. He was a tough SOB.

Like rowing to Kodiak to see a doctor when he tore up his hand?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Well, he was rowed. I believe he was the passenger.
And, no doc do they turned around and rowed back.

And when it was too rough to beach the boat at anchor point? He slept In the bottom overnight.

That SOB could bake some bread and wash clotches too! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

You would enjoy the Charlie Brower book then. I believe he ran the company whaling station in Barrow.
[/quote]

I did laugh

Th beginning was extremely interesting, Charels Brower as a teen, living on the top side of a ship , sailing up the South American coast to SanFrancisco while the below deck burned and smouldered........they didnt stop untill docked, and collected the insurance when it all burned in port....

His descriptions of traveling through NW Ak in the 1880's and his doings and trade with Point Hopes madman Atanghara,............I'd read it again laugh

Ernest 'Tiger' Burch wrote several books on this area, with a [bleep] of personal accounts, my personal favorites.

Last edited by Caribou; 11/25/18.

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Caribou

You would enjoy the Charlie Brower book then. I believe he ran the company whaling station in Barrow.

I did laugh

Th beginning was extremely interesting, Charels Brower as a teen, living on the top side of a ship , sailing up the South American coast to SanFrancisco while the below deck burned and smouldered........they didnt stop untill docked, and collected the insurance when it all burned in port....

His descriptions of traveling through NW Ak in the 1880's and his doings and trade with Point Hopes madman Atanghara,............I'd read it again laugh

Ernest 'Tiger' Burch wrote several books on this area, with a [bleep] of personal accounts, my personal favorites.

[/quote]

I see Amazon list 4 books by Ernest Burch Jr. Which one should I order first?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I collect the old whalers accounts and diarys, gold seekers jounals, and most anything published.

My favorite is the Arctic, and further the personal accounts, no matter when, 200 years ago or yesterday. Explores and first contacts, accounts fromthe Franklin Expeditions, etc.

Of those, I love the descriptive first hand accounts of the Revenue Cutters and the scientists they brought along.
The Revenue Service (predates the Coast Guard) and the Navy both sent cartographers up the Kobuk and Noatak Rivers in the summer of 1884 and mapped the places. Kobuk River has mostly Inupiaq names, as they were accompanied by locals who could name them, though the guys who mapped the noatak had no loacls along, nor met any while they went up the river. (At that time of year people were down at the Ocean Hunting/Fishing, or on the mountain/ridges looking for Summer Caribou)

Anyways, these also came with the very first maps made of the areas, which is extra kiss kiss special, to me at least, as collecting maps is also a hobbie, and I have afew really good ones...

Caribou, Have you read “The Last Shot”? It’s a good read about how the Confederates chased the North’s whaling ships around the world during the civil war and since word of the surrender at Appomattox hadn’t gotten to them and for them the war continued long after the surrender.

I’m about to begin reading “Tip of the iceberg: My 3,000 mile journey around Wild Alaska the last great American Frontier” by Mark Adams. It’s obviously not a historical account but I don’t care. 😁

I love all the recommendations from the knowledgeable guys about books about Alaska and because of those recommendations I’ve enjoyed a lot of great books. That’s why I tag these posts with long winded blathering. 😁.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Several books on the northland by Vilhjalmur Stefansson including defense of himself for the Wrangle Island debacles. Enjoyed reading his stuff, but he was obviously quite the self promoter.

A north east account that's a short and fun read is Nunaga by Duncan Pryde. A Hudson Bay account of times when some of us here were youngsters.

Also amazing what disease and alcohol did to Alaska's natives back in the day.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/25/18.

1Minute
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

For the Burch books, theres ''Caribou Herds of Northwest Alaska'' (you can see why I read this guys stuff!)

''The Inupiaq Eskimo Nations of Northwest Alaska''

''Social Life in Northwest Alaska''

'' Inupiaq Ethnohistory''

''Alliance and Conflict''

''Eskimo Kinsmanship, Changing Family Relationships in Northwest Alaska''

What makes them fascinating, to me, is that I actually know/knew alot of the folks he interviewed and worked with. As well, his descriptions of conditions and places that are relevant to me in a personal way.

I dont know which to buy first, I enjoy them all

One other good book is published by the National Park Service ''Kuuvanmiut Subsistence; Traditional Eskimo Life in the latter 20th Century'', basically a description of the area, its resources and how it was done and how it is done, today.
Also, in that book, is a description by Lucy Foster, on page 88 she describes hunting with my fatherinlaw, (then known as Koksiinaq) on her back and his older sister' Belle'(Aqtuq) hunting Rabbits with a shotgun, at the turn of the Century. He was born 1903, and given the name 'Joe Carter' by the Census, a Missionary, because Eskimo names were ''Heathen'', (They were saving souls left and right back then with re-nameing people) but he didnt use the English name until the early 40's when he signed up for the Alaska Territorial Guard, and Social Security

Really, everyone of us here has an excellent story to tell, if only we all wrote......

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
''Caribou, Have you read “The Last Shot”? It’s a good read about how the Confederates chased the North’s whaling ships around the world during the civil war and since word of the surrender at Appomattox hadn’t gotten to them and for them the war continued long after the surrender.''

Yes. I eat that stuff up!!

Indeed, not only did the destroy the Yankee Whaling fleet in the Arctic, but they didnt kill anyone doing so.....

When the US Gov sued Brittan for selling the Shenandoah (sp??) to the Confederacy, and its subsequent ravaging of a very wealthy industry, the payoff was used to fund the purchase of Territorial Rights over Alaska in 1867.....

I have found, a few years back, in the sands, what I believe is the keel to the ship ''Lousiana'', a whaler that the Shenandoah chased into Kotzebue Sound and grounded off Garnet point just inside Escholts Bay (on my way to the Kiwalik, I know it well)
When they got stuck, the crew burned the shjp rather than accept capture, and jumped on a small sloop and went into the very shallow Escholts Bay to escape the Confederates.
Its mostly buried, but we dug and looked at a 3x3 x100 or so feet long oak timber with bronze fittings, and records show that that was the only ship of that size to have sunk in the Sound....

I wrote this years ago, but it mentions it;

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/summer-hunting-2-sir-john-franklin.471886/

''Several books on the northland by Vilhjalmur Stefansson including defense of himself for the Wrangle Island debacles. Enjoyed reading his stuff, but he was obviously quite the self promoter.

A north east account that's a short and fun read is Nunaga by Duncan Pryde. A Hudson Bay account of times when some of us here were youngsters.

Also amazing what disease and alcohol did to Alaska's natives back in the day.''

Stefansson was a prolific writer, mostly about the Northern shores of Alaskas Coast and Islands, and the doings of Eskimo and Whalers and the side storys of Ada Black Jack, and others who ended up on Wrangle Island (The story of the USS Jeanette, etc)

Alcohol and Disease have wracked the world again and again. Most went on unrecorded, but the awfull accounts are not only Alaskan Natives, but around the world, several society's adapted and some just dissapeard. "Guns, Germs and Steel'', is a great book on that subject. My connect would be that wifes grandmother died in the 1918 flu in Nome.

Big Stick
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Very interesting Caribou and thanks for your contributions to my reading list. 👍

I’ll read your link when I get to my iPad. The phone doesn’t make for the best ebook. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Akaska-Yukon Trophies Won and Lost

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've collected or read innumerable books on HBC [Hudson Bay Company aka "Here before Christ"]

One of the best is Robert Campbell's Yukon.......RC was founder of Fort Selkirk for those of you
that have traveled the upper Yukon River........

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B

For the Burch books, theres ''Caribou Herds of Northwest Alaska'' (you can see why I read this guys stuff!)

''The Inupiaq Eskimo Nations of Northwest Alaska''

''Social Life in Northwest Alaska''

'' Inupiaq Ethnohistory''

''Alliance and Conflict''

''Eskimo Kinsmanship, Changing Family Relationships in Northwest Alaska''

What makes them fascinating, to me, is that I actually know/knew alot of the folks he interviewed and worked with. As well, his descriptions of conditions and places that are relevant to me in a personal way.

I dont know which to buy first, I enjoy them all

One other good book is published by the National Park Service ''Kuuvanmiut Subsistence; Traditional Eskimo Life in the latter 20th Century'', basically a description of the area, its resources and how it was done and how it is done, today.
Also, in that book, is a description by Lucy Foster, on page 88 she describes hunting with my fatherinlaw, (then known as Koksiinaq) on her back and his older sister' Belle'(Aqtuq) hunting Rabbits with a shotgun, at the turn of the Century. He was born 1903, and given the name 'Joe Carter' by the Census, a Missionary, because Eskimo names were ''Heathen'', (They were saving souls left and right back then with re-nameing people) but he didnt use the English name until the early 40's when he signed up for the Alaska Territorial Guard, and Social Security

Really, everyone of us here has an excellent story to tell, if only we all wrote......

Inupiaq Eskimo Nations of Northwest Alaska is on the way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ron Hayes is working on a book....saw him in Candle this summer, driving a 185....was pretty pumped up about getting it finished.

So Ron is working on a book? Well, he has certainly had plenty of ‘Time’ to assembly all his stories. I would most certainly be extremely interested in reading it as would my father who was employed by the dept of interior and expended mucho effort...... Well, that’s for another time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have downloaded many of Ron's online stories and no matter what you think of his ethics, he knows Alaska and tells wonderful stories.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’d sure like to read that book. I wonder if he drops any names. Ethics? For many, many many years, he had none. He certainly knows AK, not unlike many here. I’m sure he knows the Katmai area very well. Quite the bear guide Mr. Hays was. Buster Shebal could of wrote an interesting book, and Bud Helmericks’ books are a good read. Joe Wants book mentions a guy that was a family friend when I was a kid, Clarence LaBounty on Montegue, he had great stories.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I used to have a link to a bunch of Ron’s stories from the “old day and ways”, I think it was on the website for his fishing lodge. I’m not sure if it disappeared after he sold the lodge or what but I haven’t been able to locate it. Whatever he was he was certainly a character the times I visited with him.

I cleaned up all his guns in anticipation of them being put up on GB. He had some pretty neat stuff, most all hard used and practical type firearms. He was a big 300wby fan iirc. Had a much worn 4” M57 S&W with scrimshaw walrus ivory grips. The scrimshaw had a bear and “Ron Hayes the Alaskan Outlaw”.

As was said, ethics notwithstanding, he’s seen some things and can definitely tell a tale.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Rons not shy about his 2 years in the Fed pen, and self describes as 'The biggest F%$#@! poacher in Alaska '' to quote him.....LOL!!
And hes not slow to throw down a name or three. I belive he could outbrag John Greybill............. LOL!!! (I have to watch my company....)

He's 90 years old and still hard at it LOL!!

Last edited by Caribou; 11/26/18.

Big Stick
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, I think that’s what really bothers me about Mr Hays, IMO he sugar-coats his past activities, to the point of bragging, of killing trophies and his illegal and unethical stealing of an extremely valuable public resource from all of us who are attempting to improve our image to the non-hunting public. The same public who will more than likely soon determine our fate as the only true conservationists.

And Caribou you mentioned Mr. Graybill, that’s a name I haven’t heard for quite awhile. What’s totally disgusting about that thief (he’d steal fron anybody) is that when fate finally caught up to him, the guy took his innocent wife with him. How sad.

You all have a good evening, and good hunting to all of you.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hear you Alaskajim.
There is a legal way to do most everything, and keep ones honor and integrity. Some guys will never know those responsibilitys, and bragg about it..

Living alongside a small river, Summertimes, just down river from a former goldrush town, I have the most unusual people ''drop in'' and wax romantic about days gone past.... laugh

I make no excuses at all for these guys, but, like most any 'elder' who Im in company with, I do listen to what they say, and visit as politely as I can....... (and I made it out with my wallet laugh )

I take in all sorts of views; so I digress; If Billy the Kid wrote a book, I'd probably read it.

Last edited by Caribou; 11/26/18.

Big Stick
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Phil,

I've read many (possibly most) of the books mentioned on this thread, but suspect one of my favorites is the one by you that hasn't yet appeared.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.