Originally Posted by gbf
A Land Gone Lonesome by Dan O’Neil.

It is a good one!

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I enjoyed "Ted Lambert", one of the early Alaska artist. As I remember it, Ted disappeared from his cabin on the Kenai Peninsula and they never found him.
I believe "The Edge of Nowhere" was mentioned. Another good Huntington book.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've a book, copyright 1983 that I enjoyed titled "My Lost Wilderness" by Ralph W. Young

Does he ring a bell with anyone?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunzo
I've a book, copyright 1983 that I enjoyed titled "My Lost Wilderness" by Ralph W. Young

Get a copy of "Grizzlies Don't Come Easy." He guided for brown bear in SE AK for a long time. Out of Ketchikan IIRC. I think he wrote a third book, also.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thank you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am done with "Fifty Years Below Zero", really enjoyed it. If anyone wants to read, send me the cost of a PRI Mail envelope and I will send your way. Reply plus PM.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
kid0917: If love to have the book. PM sent. -tnscouter

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I liked Alaska bear tales. One of the first books I read after arriving in Alaska in 1984.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That was a good one, made me a little cautious when I was fishing alder-brush creeks in Kodiak. I love Jim Rearden's books, too.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great info.. Thanks..

Molon Labe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Would a few folks mind going into more detail on, "Pilgrim's Wilderness- A True Story of Faith and Madness On the Alaskan Frontier" by Tom Kizzia. I'm not from that area but am interested in the story behind the story. Thanks -tnscouter

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tnscouter
Would a few folks mind going into more detail on, "Pilgrim's Wilderness- A True Story of Faith and Madness On the Alaskan Frontier" by Tom Kizzia. I'm not from that area but am interested in the story behind the story. Thanks -tnscouter

Start here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Allen_Hale

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ironbender: Thanks so much for reply. If even half of the purported stories about him are true that guy was an animal. After reading the article in Outside Magazine about him there is no way I'd read anymore on him. What a vile person. I'm including a link to the article I read. It was a source for the wiki sight. Thanks again. -tnscouter

https://www.outsideonline.com/1928141/papa-pilgrims-progress-dark-tale-alaskan-frontiersman

R
R
Originally Posted by Caribou
''Caribou, Have you read “The Last Shot”? It’s a good read about how the Confederates chased the North’s whaling ships around the world during the civil war and since word of the surrender at Appomattox hadn’t gotten to them and for them the war continued long after the surrender.''

Yes. I eat that stuff up!!

Indeed, not only did the destroy the Yankee Whaling fleet in the Arctic, but they didnt kill anyone doing so.....

When the US Gov sued Brittan for selling the Shenandoah (sp??) to the Confederacy, and its subsequent ravaging of a very wealthy industry, the payoff was used to fund the purchase of Territorial Rights over Alaska in 1867.....

I have found, a few years back, in the sands, what I believe is the keel to the ship ''Lousiana'', a whaler that the Shenandoah chased into Kotzebue Sound and grounded off Garnet point just inside Escholts Bay (on my way to the Kiwalik, I know it well)
When they got stuck, the crew burned the shjp rather than accept capture, and jumped on a small sloop and went into the very shallow Escholts Bay to escape the Confederates.
Its mostly buried, but we dug and looked at a 3x3 x100 or so feet long oak timber with bronze fittings, and records show that that was the only ship of that size to have sunk in the Sound....

I wrote this years ago, but it mentions it;

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/summer-hunting-2-sir-john-franklin.471886/

''Several books on the northland by Vilhjalmur Stefansson including defense of himself for the Wrangle Island debacles. Enjoyed reading his stuff, but he was obviously quite the self promoter.

A north east account that's a short and fun read is Nunaga by Duncan Pryde. A Hudson Bay account of times when some of us here were youngsters.

Also amazing what disease and alcohol did to Alaska's natives back in the day.''

Stefansson was a prolific writer, mostly about the Northern shores of Alaskas Coast and Islands, and the doings of Eskimo and Whalers and the side storys of Ada Black Jack, and others who ended up on Wrangle Island (The story of the USS Jeanette, etc)

Alcohol and Disease have wracked the world again and again. Most went on unrecorded, but the awfull accounts are not only Alaskan Natives, but around the world, several society's adapted and some just dissapeard. "Guns, Germs and Steel'', is a great book on that subject. My connect would be that wifes grandmother died in the 1918 flu in Nome.

Thanks for the link.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I read John McPhee's "Coming Into the Country" and Joe McGinness's "Going to Extremes" in the late 70's. I hadn't even been there then, and long before the TV gold mining craze hit, but the two images that still prevail are the "ice fog" McGinness describes on a -40 degree day in Fairbanks, and the guy in McPhee's book who drove a Cat D9 up the AlCan to his homestead on the Yukon. Not a lot of hunting and fishing stories, but good writing and powerful descriptions. I've since fly fished it 4 times on the Alagnak R. and other and Iliamna drainages, but cant say I have any other knowledge of the state than that of a tourist, so I dont know if McPhee and McGinness were simply writing for the urban masses or whether their observations were accurate. Little of both, I suspect. Good reads, nevertheless.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by gunzo

Get a copy of "Grizzlies Don't Come Easy." He guided for brown bear in SE AK for a long time. Out of Ketchikan IIRC. I think he wrote a third book, also.

I just got that one {"Grizzlies Don't Come Easy") in the mail. and just finished "Alaskan Adventure" by Jay Williams, it was great!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Limapapa
I read John McPhee's "Coming Into the Country" and Joe McGinness's "Going to Extremes" in the late 70's. I hadn't even been there then, and long before the TV gold mining craze hit, but the two images that still prevail are the "ice fog" McGinness describes on a -40 degree day in Fairbanks, and the guy in McPhee's book who drove a Cat D9 up the AlCan to his homestead on the Yukon. Not a lot of hunting and fishing stories, but good writing and powerful descriptions. I've since fly fished it 4 times on the Alagnak R. and other and Iliamna drainages, but cant say I have any other knowledge of the state than that of a tourist, so I dont know if McPhee and McGinness were simply writing for the urban masses or whether their observations were accurate. Little of both, I suspect. Good reads, nevertheless.

Quite accurate!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by Limapapa

Quite accurate!

As a sequel to Coming Into The Country, you might enjoy A Land Gone Lonesome by Dan O'Neil as he brings the reader up to date on the places and characters of John McPhee's book.

O'Neil also wrote The Firecracker Boys an interesting story of the attempt by Edwin Teller to create a harbor in NW Alaska with nuclear explosions.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Reading Sam O White by Jim Rearden. An entertaining book of what seems to be a great guy.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,931 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,541
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.