Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Folks:

For those of you who use a cooler and ice to wet age meat, I have a couple of questions.

1. I know the water drains through the plug, but doo you keep the meat off the bottom of the cooler with a grate or something?
2. Do you put the ice directly on the meat, or is there something like freezer paper between the meat and ice? (I've seen that done both ways).

Thanks

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ice on bottom deer on top is how I've always seen it.

Personally, if I can't hang, I just age individual cuts in the fridge when I take them out of the freezer.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use frozen plastic bottles in the bottom of the ice chest and set the meat on top of them. Cover the meat with ice and leave the plug open to drain. This keeps the meat from laying in water for the most part. Works well for me.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Personally, if I can't hang, I just age individual cuts in the fridge when I take them out of the freezer.

Yep what Scott said.

When on the road I keep a cooler w/ frozen & sealed gallon milk jugs of water inside. Leaving venison to float in a pool of water is inviting problems, as water breeds nasties.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by efw

Yep what Scott said.

When on the road I keep a cooler w/ frozen & sealed gallon milk jugs of water inside. Leaving venison to float in a pool of water is inviting problems, as water breeds nasties.

The enzymes that break down collagen do nothing after freezing. For tenderizing meat it must be done before freezing.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by efw

Yep what Scott said.

The enzymes that break down collagen do nothing after freezing. For tenderizing meat it must be done before freezing.

Ok, but it do make a difference proffesor

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I wet age first to chill it quicker and bleed it out more then try to get the meat out of the water. I add salt to chill faster, slightly brine the meat, and to reduce bacteria. Tenderloins stay dry if possible. Paper or plastic just encourages bacteria and is best avoided. Although the ice in plastic is good.

Wet or over ice the meat can't age as long as in a proper cold locker, usually about half the time works for me. I have tried to push it two weeks and ended up with meat only I could eat.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by efw

Yep what Scott said.

Ok, but it do make a difference proffesor

Not in my direct experience, or at least not enough to matter. The typical muskox is killed in ridiculous cold and comes back frozen long before any aging had a chance. A pressure cooker has no chance... On the rare one killed early they are wonderful and tender, though quite coarse textured. Just for example.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Aging after a carcass freezes has absolutely made a difference in my experience. More so on a prematurely frozen carcass than one that was not frozen early.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A couple personal notes and a link I'll just leave here and let those interested make of it what they will.

I'll be honest. I'm beginning to realize that what I CONSIDER aged, and a whole lot of people consider aged........just isn't the same critter.

"Wet" aging...........is not in contact with ANY water, melting ice or other kind. WHAT a person considered as "aged" is their own decision to make and MIGHT be the reason more than a few just toss meat on or in ice but for MY opinion (only) "aged" meat is not done in a couple days and is only about 60-70 percent in a week........IF and ONLY IF, temperatures are strictly controlled, but no water, none, ever touches aged meat, "dry" OR"wet" aged. "Wet" simply refers to the fact that the animal has been skinned and cut up to one degree or another, packaged and refrigerated.

IF putting in a plastic bag, make SURE it's NOT one of the higher brand (Glad, etc) garbage bags. They have chemicals in them to kill about everything and it WILL ruin the meats flavor, let alone not meant to be eaten. The cheap as you can get white plastic trash liners work best.

One can "wet age" a steak bought at the store. I guarantee you it is NOT aged long enough to be prime beef. Buy them wrapped in their single plastic/Styrofoam package and toss it in the back of the fridge for a week......minimum. When steaks are marked down in a store, I 'll buy all I can if it's a good cut. It's going to be the best one on their shelf if eating it soon.

A point I'd like to add, only as food for thought for those who would like PRIME, aged meat.......is tenderness is but HALF of the reason to age your venison, if it's even that much.

FLAVOR, is the big one. Well taken care of venison, allowed enough time has a much richer flavor and , once again, I've fed it to a lot of people that refused to eat wild game "because of the gamey taste" and refused to admit what they had just asked for seconds was indeed.........venison, and yes, this goes for burger too.

Only my two cents, but also once again, I aged and butchered over 3000 whitetail and a handful of elk when I had my shop. Hunters drove up to 80 miles one way (or more in two cases) because of the flavor and tenderness of what came out of my shop.

I ice mine hanging (hide on) with DOUBLE BAGGED ice so NO water escapes on the meat and replace the bags of ice every 12 hours (min) untill very little of it has melted. Water spreads any bacteria that may be present and unless its distilled water (or ice made from such) it has bacteria IN it, to some point or another. "Wet" aged I only do if mandatory and it's to section the animal in sizes that will fit in those bags, get out what air I can, put it in the frig...(34 degrees).........and leave it set, at least a week......minimum. NO water contact.

Yes. You can do it like any of the above and age it "some", but good, tender, flavorful, top notch venison........takes TIME. Lots will say "we do it this way and it was ok." I'm not talking about "ok". I'm talking about meat that makes you slobber eating it.

No offense to anyone. Only my opinion from near two decades of doing this and I will NOT argue the point (again, lol).
I'm offering this for those who want the best and are willing to do what it takes to get it.

Some info, other than my opinion, in the link at the bottom. (Take special note of that under "Wet or dry aging.")

If REALLY interested in the research of aging. Look You'll find research on aging beef ....not days, not weeks...........months, and the flavor changes each produces. Commercially, they age beef the bare minimum due to the weight loss dry aging causes. They sell it by the lb. You CAN buy "aged beef steaks" online, but you won't like the prices. (Maybe I'm just cheap? lol) Keep in mind TOO that BEEF, unlike deer, have fat marbled within it..........and they still can age it a long, long time.
Before someone asks. I prefer dry aged and when the temps are good where it's hanging (out of the wind and sun), a doe or young buck will hang NO LESS than 10 days, 14-16 normally. A bigger, older buck.......21 days, but I don't shoot many of them, lol. (Dangit!)

https://meatscience.org/TheMeatWeEat/topics/article/2018/08/20/aging-beef

God Bless
Steve

Last edited by Steve692; 11/24/18.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Aging after a carcass freezes has absolutely made a difference in my experience. More so on a prematurely frozen carcass than one that was not frozen early.

Okay, but that is not what the folks that study such things have found over and over again...

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I’m kinda curious about it. Just started Googling a bit. Here is one study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24671601

“Freezing and thawing or a combination of freezing, thawing, and aging resulted in increased tenderness for LL and ST steaks when compared to fresh steaks with the same aging time.”

Another that determined while steaks frozen prior to aging exhibited more moisture loss, they saw no difference in shear values between steaks previously frozen then aged, and those aged before freezing:

http://www.beefextension.com/research_reports/1993rr/93_10.pdf

Last edited by MadMooner; 11/24/18.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Mike I do it all the time bringing meat home from texas..meat and ice in the cooler, drain and re-ice daily. I do it more as a method to bleed it than to age it. Also do it out of necessity cause I gotta get the fresh meat home to Montucky.

I havent noticed the same benefit I get from hanging to age for about a week...but it always comes home good nonetheless.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Mike I do it all the time bringing meat home from texas..meat and ice in the cooler, drain and re-ice daily. I do it more as a method to bleed it than to age it. Also do it out of necessity cause I gotta get the fresh meat home to Montucky.

I havent noticed the same benefit I get from hanging to age for about a week...but it always comes home good nonetheless.

I assume that some of that is probably pork, which I'm also curious about. I've seen folks who do the same thing: ice, drain, re-ice daily for two or three days. But again, the question: Ice on top of meat (i.e., meat held of the bottom by a grate or something, with water being drained off by the open drain plug) or meat on top of ice? I'm not sure how the latter would help drain blood, but I can see how it would keep meat cool enough to somewhat break down enzymes.

Mike

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

This is what I do too Tom, and it works well for me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We don't age feral hogs more than a couple of days and if possible keep it separate from venison especially if a boar. The entire ice chest will taste like hog if it is wet aged together. This is where I would wrap the hog to segregate it if I had to carry them together. Same for javelina.

Just getting ready to head to west Tx. for Mule Deer and am wondering if dry ice will help as it is not that cold this season. When I have used it before it sometimes would freeze the meat so maybe not practical.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RevMike
Folks:

For those of you who use a cooler and ice to wet age meat, I have a couple of questions.

1. I know the water drains through the plug, but doo you keep the meat off the bottom of the cooler with a grate or something?
2. Do you put the ice directly on the meat, or is there something like freezer paper between the meat and ice? (I've seen that done both ways).

Thanks

RM

Hello Mike.....

The way I do it is to put a layer of ice on the bottom of the cooler, chunk the meat in and put ice on top. I don't wrap the meat or anything, don't put salt or anything else in the ice either. Drain the water out each day and refill with ice. I don't try to crowd the meat ie attempt to stuff an entire quartered whitetail in a 48 quart cooler. I put the hindquarters in one cooler and the rest of the deer in another just so I have a lot of ice. I find two little coolers (54 quart) a little easier to work with than one big one but YMMV on that.

You are going to get some water on the meat, especially at first as the first round of ice has to dissipate body heat, but there is no way in heck that bacteria is going to be an issue as long as you have plenty of ice in the box. That water is going to be just above freezing temp, and unless you get water from a creek somewhere to make your ice its gonna be coming from a purified source. The only way you can screw this up is to forget about it, let all the ice melt and the water get warm. After about a week give or take, the meat will appear pale, looking kind of like chicken, and that worries some people, but that is only superficial. I use plain old igloo coolers, not the high dollar stuff.

I don't know how much "bleeding" takes place in this process. You cut a heck of a lot of little blood vessels when you butcher an animal and these are going to bleed into the water. It does not take much blood to make the drain water look red. Usually after a day or two the water gets pretty clear.

I'm usually tired of acquiring ice, draining the cooler, etc after about a week and get motivated to put the deer away in the freezer. So I have not left the meat on ice much longer than that.

I've never had any problems or complaints about meat quality. I have had a chance to eat some venison that was aged in a walk in cooler with the hide on, ie the ideal way, and I could not tell any difference personally. I've also "dry aged" it in a fridge and can't tell the difference. It is my opinion that most average deer people kill are relatively young and don't benefit that much from a long aging process........but this stuff is almost like a religion.

Last edited by RJY66; 11/25/18.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike

I assume that some of that is probably pork, which I'm also curious about. I've seen folks who do the same thing: ice, drain, re-ice daily for two or three days. But again, the question: Ice on top of meat (i.e., meat held of the bottom by a grate or something, with water being drained off by the open drain plug) or meat on top of ice? I'm not sure how the latter would help drain blood, but I can see how it would keep meat cool enough to somewhat break down enzymes.

Mike

Mike I put the ice on top of the meat so the cold from it, and the water all go down. I don't bother elevating it off the floor of the cooler with a grate, I just kind of stir it up a little when Im draining it...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This system works well. Bringing pronghorn from NM, draining and adding ice once or twice a day keeps the meat very well. With hot weather, getting the meat on ice ASAP is crucial. Some call pronghorns “stink goats”. I’ve seen how some handle the meat and no doubt that meat can spoil and quickly. We skin them in the truck, have ice in ice chests ready to go. We have our pronghorns on ice in a matter of minutes, not hours.

Drain the water regularly, add ice as needed. As time passes, you need less and less ice. We’ve kept meat like this for several days. Works great.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Read the posts and the links some provided. Must say it is a bit confusing. Each hunt has challenges with temperatures and distances to travel. I hope Mule Deer chimes in here................

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 66 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,228
Posts18,466,602
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.