Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
For an object that I might use to keep myself from going over a cliff, I don’t mind an extra ounce.

I'd recommend the correct tool, training and practice for that application...an ice axe. Stay away from cornices and edges in Winter.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
For an object that I might use to keep myself from going over a cliff, I don’t mind an extra ounce.

I'd recommend the correct tool, training and practice for that application...an ice axe. Stay away from cornices and edges in Winter.

I’m not talking about late season.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Anyone used these?

https://ultimatedirection.com/fk-trekking-poles/

Fixed length/non-adjustable. Carbon fiber with a larger diameter than most poles at 20cm. Down side is no adjustment so carry/packing would be more of a headache. I think it would be worth it for my use as it would increase the strength as would the increased diameter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I pack so much stuff along as it is, what I've found works the best for me is to carry along a little folding saw and just cut an appropriate size stick somewhere along the way. I used two of them yesterday and lost them both when I got looking at my GPS or digging something out of my pocket. You can't see the forest for the trees here and sticks are everywhere. I'd feel real badly if I bent or forgot a $100. walking stick out in the hinterland somewhere.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I have a pair of Komperdell duo locks that have been used extensively and have held up great!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought a set of leki cork lite poles. They were like 100 bucks and they adjust to a length that is big enough for a six and a half foot tall person.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Originally Posted by rnovi
Black Diamond flick-locks for me. Stellar on my goat hunt a few years back.

Exactly what I’m running now. As far as durability goes, these things are made to be light. It’s not gonna hold like rebar. Over years and years I wore out a pair of twist locks and let Dennis hold a pair for 10 minutes once, whereupon he broke it in a few seconds. I think the better brands have the balance between weight and durability about right. Or, just get the ones from Costco and if you break them, you had a good day in the field.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
BD Alpine Carbon Cork. Light and rather stout. I've done some things to them where I was shocked they didn't snap in half.

+1 for the BD Carbon Cork poles. Used them extensively in very steep and difficult terrIN AND IN ID this season. Durable, light for the level of performance, tough, easy to adjust and they hold their adjustment in really rough use. Couldn´t have made the climbs without these poles.First season I´ve put away my single aluminum trekking pole - my mainstay in rough terrain for the last 15 years - in favor of the double poles. A world of difference.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
ASs I’ve gotten older, I’ve found the use of dual poles a significant advantage, both for distributing load and climbing effort, as well as balance.

IME adjustable poles are a plus. I find that I lengthen my poles by about +/- 5 cms when descending a steep slope, compared to when ascending. YMMV

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Anyone used these?

https://ultimatedirection.com/fk-trekking-poles/

Fixed length/non-adjustable. Carbon fiber with a larger diameter than most poles at 20cm. Down side is no adjustment so carry/packing would be more of a headache. I think it would be worth it for my use as it would increase the strength as would the increased diameter.

No experience with those but I've broken a couple poles getting them snagged then kicking them with my next step. The brand I use (Gossamer LT4) sells replacement lower sections and I have a couple extras in the closet in case they get discontinued. My hiking takes me places where I absolutely don't want poles, so I'd also be very reluctant to give up the option of lashing them to the pack.

IC B3

For aluminum I like my Komperdell Ridgehikers. Collapse to 25", cork grips (important to me), under $70 for the pair. The lever locks, or 'Powerlock' as the company calls it, have never moved when locked. The weight is just under 20 oz for the pair so not as light as carbon options but I don't find it an issue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AK_Troutbum
I would look no further than the ones that Costco sells every year (Cascade Mountain Tech). They're carbon fiber, weigh only 15 oz. for the pair, flick lock, come with all the attachments, and are only $29. I have 3 sets of CF poles (Costco's, BD Alpine carbon corks, and Locus Gear), the BD's are the heaviest and probably strongest (also the most expensive at about $150, give or take), and the Locus Gear are the lightest and probably least durable, but if I could only have one set, and I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg for them, it would be the Costco ones.

I've got a pair of these I bought over two years ago. I have used them moose hunting on a friends property past Sutton off the Glenn that has a rather steep climb up to get out of the property and they have held up great. My son has used them to climb Matanuska and a few other peaks in the area, and they are fine.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a set of Black Diamond Trail which are aluminum and a set of Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork... I like them both but the Alpine is obviously lighter... they both have the Flicklock feature which I really like... never had any issues with them...

Public landowner...
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Just got back from a mountain bear hunt and mule deer hunt with a total of 10 days on my black diamond trail pros. The aluminum on one is bent pretty bad. My buddy has the carbon fiber versions and experienced no bending. Probably what I’ll use next season. Most of the bending was during sketchy decents.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They will all break. It's not worth worrying about. Costco sells a decent pair from time to time - - carbon and about $40. At that rate they are consumable. The good aluminum ones are so close in weight to carbon it's a wash, IMO. Cork handles and flick locks are good things to have. If you frequent Goodwill stores regularly you will find a decent pair for cheap, in may places. That's probably double true here in Phoenix, as many retirees ditch their cold weather gear when they move here, thus trekkers they've been using to snowshoe. I think we have 3 or 4 sets laying around.

What's surprising is the stuff they will do without breaking.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My poles take a beating in big, loose rock. They tend to stick, and I don't always pull them straight back out of wherever they found there way into. But, that's also one of the places where I appreciate having trekking poles the most.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's where they're indispensable and for me at least, it took a while to get the technique down for scrambling over loose rock with a pack. The trick was just to use the sticks lightly for balance and not put too much weight on them, kind of the opposite of how I use them for coming downhill with a loaded pack on solid ground.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
That's where they're indispensable and for me at least, it took a while to get the technique down for scrambling over loose rock with a pack. The trick was just to use the sticks lightly for balance and not put too much weight on them, kind of the opposite of how I use them for coming downhill with a loaded pack on solid ground.

Agree

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by headwatermike
I use Black Diamonds with flick locks too. They are stronger than many of the "trekking" poles as mine are built for skiing. As such they are a bit heavier. I like being able to adjust for height for uphills vs descents. Mine double as shooting sticks.

Then I ski with them all winter.

I've thought of employing my Leki adjustable alpine touring ski poles as trekking poles. I've used them when snowshoeing in the past. I figured I could just take the baskets off and they might make fine trekking poles

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Costco CMT Carbon pole update:
I bought 3 pairs of these this year. Gave a set to my hunting partner, a set to my wife, and kept a set. Hunting pard and I both used ours through sheep season, and they were great. Never slipped, zero issues.

The wife and I did a goat hunt this fall and I lost the end of one pole in the rocks on the way up. Bummer. Lost the other end on the way down. Major Bummer. I babied them from there out and they didn't get much worse. The next day when we tried to climb up again, my wife broke one of her poles in the rocks as well. I think they just don't like big rocks, which makes sense for a carbon pole - they take a lot of abuse in the rocks. When my AL poles broke (after 4 years) they were still very useable. In fact, I used them when I went back to get the rest of the goat. The carbon poles leave a ragged hollow tube that will continue to degrade(splinter) with use.

Might have to get a new set of BD AL poles for rocky hunts. For $30, these things are pretty awesome though.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 163bc, 12344mag, 204guy, 70 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,118
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.