Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Suggestion: Have them add some length to your pack straps before you find out too late. And I forgot, they make bibs that match.

You may have to change your handle to "Puffy."

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Windfall
I've probably read all 18 pages of the "Warmest Puffy" thread and there is scant mention of any kind of puffy pants. We all have a closet full of jackets of various descriptions, but how many of us have given a lot of thought to keeping the lower half of our bodies equally warm? Your quads and gluts are big muscle groups with a lot of blood flow and if half of you gets cold, the other half isn't going to be far behind. When I bought my mountain climbing down parka, I bought the pants too and on the warmer days when I don't pack the whole outfit, a thinner top and those puffy pants over wool pants are all I'll need.

Puffy pants go every time a puffy jacket does.

There are few true cold weather puff pants.

Formidilosus,
Have you had any experience with down pants custom made by this company?

https://goosefeetgear.com/

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by mod7rem

Formidilosus,

I do not, but them or Nunatak will be what I have next year.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Formidilosus,

I do not, but them or Nunatak will be what I have next year.

Ya I’m thinking of ordering a pair. Seems like a good price for a custom build. Would you recommend the sewn through or baffled option?

They recommend a minimum of 5.5oz of fill (10 F rating) for the baffled option, do you think that would be too warm for most of your uses? I compared with a couple other puffy down pant brands and 5.5oz seems on the high end for backpack style down pants.

Last edited by mod7rem; 11/28/18.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Ya I’m thinking of ordering a pair. Seems like a good price for a custom build. Would you recommend the sewn through or baffled option?

They recommend a minimum of 5.5oz of fill (10 F rating) for the baffled option, do you think that would be too warm for most of your uses? I compared with a couple other puffy down pant brands and 5.5oz seems on the high end for backpack style down pants.

Nope. My use for down puffy pants is a stationary layer. I want them as warm as possible. I’ll be doing 8.5oz and baffled.

The reason you see puff pants with so little insulation is because people really don’t sit still in true cold weather. If you are moving at all, even relatively light insulation can work fine.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be helping a pard with a bison tag in AK in February. Thinking I may pick up a pair of those ECWS britches if I can find a pair in my size (XXL). Thanks for all the conversation.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you do get puffy over pants, just make sure that you get the easy on zipper to the hip versions on both legs. I could live without the Velcro addition on mine, but once you have a lot of layers and big boots on, you will appreciate those big leg openings. Mine don't go on until I get to my stand and let me tell you, moving around getting dressed in a tree stand isn't easy.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by pointer
I'll be helping a pard with a bison tag in AK in February. Thinking I may pick up a pair of those ECWS britches if I can find a pair in my size (XXL). Thanks for all the conversation.

I threw a pair in the cart too... my patagonias are tired, and were never all that warm to start with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And I can't find them in my size. Guess I could lose weight, but I'd rather just buy the pants. laugh I did find some German stuff at a ridiculously cheap price, but not sure if they are a workable solution.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by jmo1754
I have KUIU super down pro it is fairly warm, however it is thin and not wind resistant.

The pro is marketed to go over your shell layer (wind resistant). My eventual plan is buy the super pro to go over my yukon jacket and base layers.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I just ordered a pair of Western Mountaineering Flight down pants. 4.5 oz of 850 down fill, full side zips, Gore WS seat and knees, DWR treatment of fabric, total wt 12.5 oz. Bought them on Amazon for $300.00. I can't sit for more than 2 hours and I think these will be deluxe.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

726 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 72 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,200
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.