-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’m considering picking up a sort of do-all lightweight hunting rifle (antelope, deer, elk, etc.) and have tentatively decided on 280AI (with Factory Ammo for now until I can find some time to reload). One rifle which seems interesting is the Copper 92 Backcountry, though it’s really expensive. It also comes in 257 WBY which might be a good choice as well (always wanted a 257 WBY and have a Fieldcraft in 25-06 so that’s already pretty close). The other would be a Kimber Montana, which is less than 1/2 the price of the Cooper but may not be as accurate, especially with factory ammo, or have some issues that need to be addressed out of the box.

I’m looking for some firsthand experience and input here, especially on the Cooper 92 on how they liked the rifle, how it handled, and how accurate was it with the limited number of factory loads available currently. Also, how was the recoil of the 280 AI in such a light rifle (either the Cooper or Kimber MT), being both have the option to use a brake?

The third choice would be to give in a just buy one of the Fieldcrafts with the #2 barrel in 6.5 Creed and kill stuff with that.

Thanks very much in advance for your input here.

And, GO>>>

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Montana.

The recoil of the Ackley isn't great enough to worry about in that platform.

Mine shoots .5 MOA with the 160 grain accubond over RL26.

I did have it skim bedded.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I would also choose the Montana here....Good luck with your choice....Hb

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm very happy with my 280AI Montana. No problems at all.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Well, I’ve had a Montana in .308 for 11 years and it has served me well. It still has a problem with feeding the second round out of the magazine, but it has never failed me. Accuracy is about 1 inch. Last week I splurged and bought a Cooper 92 Backcounty. I actually went in to First Stop Guns in Rapid City to look at a Kimber 84L in .280 AI they had advertised on Guns America but it was already sold when I got there. One of the guys asked if he could show me a Cooper and the next thing you know I bought one. I had never actually seen a Cooper before and I was impressed. I got a Swarovski Z3 and Leupold rings and with these installed the rifle weighs exactly 7 pounds. It feels great and handles well. The Trigger Tech trigger is excellent, feels better than the Kimber but maybe that is just from the glow of a new expensive rifle. Haven’t fired a shot yet...had to mail order dies. I did take the muzzle brake off and do not anticipate ever putting it back on.

Last edited by riverdog; 11/25/18.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks very much to those who responded, much appreciated! I guess there were no votes to just get the Fieldcraft/Creed for an all around. I do appreciate the extra horsepower of the 280AI though.

I’ve had a number of Kimber Montanas over the years, some were awesome, others not so much. My only concern is that there is still a possibilty of getting a fair to poor one accuracy wise, or one which needs work or extensive handload workup to shoot well, as I just don’t have as much free time to tinker as I used to, and am hoping to run one of the few factory loads (really Nosler or Hornady) in whatever rifle I get for the forseeable future.

After doing a lot of reading on them, it seems that the Coopers are known for stellar accuracy, especially with factory loads, so getting one of those seems like a safer bet. It’s the fact that I could buy two Kimbers for the price of the Cooper that’s putting me off from getting one, but some have said buy once, cry once and sell something else just sitting around. It’s a tough decision here. I really do wish that Barrett would decide to produce a Fieldcraft in 280AI, as that would be a no brainer here, but there has been nothing announced, and no chatter on the possibility of them doing one.

Any more comments on this suubject would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only have one Cooper, a 17 HMR, fine rifle. Any of the choice you’re thinking about would(should) be a winner. The closest I have to a 280 is my 284 Win, about my favorite rifle.

I’d put some consideration into how you hunt, then weight & handiness of the rifle. I’m usually mobile and in cover, no matter what I hunt. The 26” ‘beanfield’ rifle is of little interest to me, even out West. If you don’t reload, ammo availability and types could be a factor.

I’d also look at what % of each you may hunt, deer, elk, whatever. Case in point, you see the MI guy asking about a deer rifle, then ‘hoping to go West one year’. After a bit, many say he needs a 300 Win Mag.

No sense for all of us to carry the same rifle or chambering, variety makes it interesting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not mine but if I was in your shoes I would be giving this some serious thought.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...1/legendary-arms-works-280-ackley#UNREAD

Last edited by snowboardguy; 11/26/18.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've had two Kimbers and two Coopers. KImbers shot well, Coopers shot better.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You could try to pick up a used Kimber Montana here on the fire that is a known quantity as far as accuracy and function. Depends on how quickly you are looking to purchase.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks all, I think I’m going to rule out the Cooper due to the price tag. So it’s likely going to be the Kimber here. I’ve also been seriously considering picking up one of the Fieldcrafts in 6.5 Creedmoor as a lightweight all around rifle. As I’ve shot 7mm-08 since they began, I’ve been a little hesitant to get into the Creed Craze, but I’m going to be fresh out of 7mm-08 rifles here, so this may be an opening to try something else.

I’m just a little concerned that the Creed doesn’t have the horsepower as an all around rifle, though it has a lot more factory loads available to try. That combined with the Fieldcraft’s almost given accuracy should amount to a very accurate rifle with loads like the Barnes LRX and Hornady Superformance 120 gr Interbond load looking like winners with well constructed bullets at reasonable ranges (sub 500 yds).

Maybe it’s just better to pick up a Fieldcraft Creed and use LAW 280AI that I currently own in situations where I don’t need to drag a rifle around un the mountains.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Why not just get a Fieldcraft in 270 Winchester?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 51 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,330
Posts18,468,566
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.