Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
While I understand the hobby of it all I cannot, in all accounts, see not going with the 416 Remington in a M70 action. Mine is pretty tidy.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by EdM
While I understand the hobby of it all I cannot, in all accounts, see not going with the 416 Remington in a M70 action. Mine is pretty tidy.

Exactly, could not agree more.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I tend to agree as well. In fact don't see any major reason to choose the .416 Taylor when there are so many .416 factory rounds (often with ammo relatively available even in Africa) these days.

Back when the .416 Tayloer was developed, the .416 Remington hadn't appeared (and the .416 Ruger was far off in the 21st century), and rifles for the .416 Rigby were either extremely expensive, or custom jobs that required handloading, which was often a PITA due to brass availability. The shorter bolt-throw of the Taylor makes no difference in the real world, unless you're so short the withdrawn bolt will hit you in the face. The big factor in rapid repeat shooting with a bolt-action isn't action length, but practice. It might take 10 more milliseconds to work a long bolt between shots.

Plus, of course, the Taylor isn't capable of .416 Remington muzzle velocities without considerably higher pressure, just as the .338 Winchester can't match .340 Weatherby velocities.

But hey, all of it's mostly about what we like and shoot well, and a .416 Taylor loaded to .450/.400 muzzle velocities will kill stuff just as well as either of the .450/400's. Which apparently have always killed buffalo and elephants very well, despite lagging behind the .416 Rigby/Remington/Taylor, et al, by around 200 fps.

The truth is that very few of today's sport hunters will ever kill enough really big game with any cartridge to come to really firm conclusions about any difference in "killing power" with a wide variety of cartridges from .375 (or even 9.3mm) on up--partly because today's bullets are so good, both soft and solid.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did a fair amount of work developing loads for my Ruger in 416 Taylor a few years ago and had a lot of fun in the process. I did tear the recoil lug area out of a Ruger laminated stock and knock some glass loose in a very well known scope. The only data that I had to reference was Mr Wooters article. I was using a Piezo Pressures program and had my barrel set up for that. I couldn't get velocities any where near his reported velocities with safe pressure levels while using IMR-4320. That is when I found out that loose primer pockets and sticky bolts indicate way too much pressure. If you are thinking about that powder, work up to the velocity you want with caution. There are many more acceptable powders now. My rifle loved 350 grain bullets and was very comfortable with 400 grain bullets at 2150. I think 2350 was about as fast as I was able to get a 400 grain bullet to go from my rifle. Another thing that hit hard with me while doing this development was the great disparity in pressures when just changing bullets. I know it is common knowledge now but back then, not so much. That a gun with that level of power was capable of shooting 1 to 1.5 inch groups at 100 was very satisfying. All shooting was from a bench rest and recoil was brisk but very easy to live with. It was very much like my 375 H&H. One gun writer called it a great lady's elephant rifle. Probably right. Biggest thing I ever shot was a tree.

M
mooshoo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
super cool info thanks guys!!!

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've had a Taylor for over 20 years. Mine is built on a tang safety Ruger M77 action. When I first got it I shot it a lot and regrettably it hasn't been in the field for quite a while. Part of the reason is that through two moves I've lost all my data. I did take it to Africa and I used it for everything from Warthogs to Buffalo with Swift 400gr A Frames. At one time I had loaded Hawk 325gr soft points for deer and killed an Elk with it and a couple of whitetails.
I just need to start over with the reloading process and work up a couple of loads suitable for deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The allure of wildcats and less common rounds has worked it's way through my system. The 416 Taylor made perfect sense when it was developed, today not so much. I can't see building one when perfectly capable factory 416's are availble, same with the brass and standard dies.

Now if I came across a reasonable priced well built 416 Taylor I wouldn't pass it up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Phil,

Can you ream out the Taylor to a 416 Ruger?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The allure of wildcats and less common rounds has worked it's way through my system. The 416 Taylor made perfect sense when it was developed, today not so much. I can't see building one when perfectly capable factory 416's are availble, same with the brass and standard dies.

Now if I came across a reasonable priced well built 416 Taylor I wouldn't pass it up.

Agreed, I bought a BRNO 98 mauser 416 Taylor from a guy in your state for 175 bucks shipped, it came with 50 sticks of necked down WW 458wm brass and a set of dies, I threw the stock away, had a B/C syn for a mauser lying on a safe top, took it and all the metal to my 'smith, he owed me about 200 bucks labor on a gun deal.

Had him black matte cerakote all steel, even the bases and ring screws, full length bed the rifle to the stock, tune the trigger to a crisp 3lbs, sent the stock up to Darren75K here at the fire for a nice paint job, mounted a spare 1.5-5 leupold in the talley QD rings and went to the load shop, it was easy to get 2400 fps with 400gr partitions in the rifles 24" barrel with CFE-223 powder, iirc extreme spreads are less than 10 fps, the rifle is way more accurate than a heavy medium bore rifle that will be shot at large game at relative short ranges.

Donsm70 here at the fire graciously sent me some free A-Square cases with the proper 416 Taylor head stamp, I got a hell of a deal and love the rifle, I simply cannot imagine what a 400gr partition leaving at 2400 fps would not handily dispatch, smile

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

There's one for 450 on A H dot com. Well, its a 338/416, close to the taylor but the shoulder is a few thousandths forward. Comes with dies. If I wasn't trying to shrink my safe, and didn't have the 400 Whelen and 10.75x68 I'd have snatched it up already

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by TSIBINDI
FWIW: In 1988 I executed my first of 24 trips to Africa. My rifle(s) of choice: Pre '64 Model 70's. Light rifle: .270win/150gr Nosler Partitions for plains game/leopard. Dangerous game rifle: Custom pre '64 Model 70 .416 Taylor with 25" bbl shooting 400gr Jack Carter original bullets, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw soft points, and Trophy Bonded Sledge Hammer FMJ. Velocity for this rifle was originally 2400fps with both bullets. Ultimately, I reduced the load to average velocity of 2350fps. The reduction in velocity improved the accuracy shooting both SP, and FMJ bullets. (The reduction in velocity had nothing to do with pressure, or extraction problems.) The .416 Taylor" behaved" perfectly in all conditions, and temps (85F-100F) This rifle/caliber successfully accounted for nine buffalo, eleven elephant, one lion, one hippo, and more plains game than I can recall.
Mooshoo, if you're looking for a forty caliber rifle in today's world, there are several other choices which will be sufficient for big bears, or any of the African DG. But, if you're keen on the Taylor, go for it. As an aside; South Africa, Zambia or Zimbabwe customs never gave me any grief regarding my wildcat ammo.
When I began planning for my safari in 1987, there were not many choices in forty caliber rifles. Remington had not introduced their cartridge, and I certainly couldn't afford a Rigby, so I concluded a custom forty was the way to proceed. That decision was quite fortuitous. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Sir,
That is the most badass review of the 416 Taylor I've ever read. You have me sold. Where a lotta guys "talk" about their hand load exploits, and talk about how they're going to "someday" hunt. YOU, and your WIFE ran those 416s like straight up bosses, for decades.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My dear 416 Taylor was built as an northwest Wyoming elk rifle. I guess elk don’t need such a cartridge but don’t tell them. 350 grain Speers at 2550 just dump them, no trailing involved.
Did a lot a bison hunts, 400 grain Hornadys exited always, 350 Speer got six feet of penetration front towards the back. Just a wonderful cartridge. Picking up 7 mag brass and reforming to 416 just warmed my heart and turned a useless object into a real cartridge of great power. After years of the great 458 I wanted a little better trajectory so built the Taylor. Had a wounded bison cow a ways out, held the front sight on hair. 400 grain Hornady soft smacked and she fell on her nose. My old 458 would have to have held above hair.
I sold it recently as I have two more cervical fusions to endure in November. The sale of that rifle has saddened me greatly.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Frank, don't worry bud, the mighty 358 winchester would be a humble replacement with a lot less recoil.

Yah, for north American game, I much prefer the 41 cal 350 grainers over the 400's.

My two biggest moose one shot with the 358 and this past season a 41 wildcat off the 9.3x62: They both dropped instantly. Both needed a finishing shot.

Kinda hard to differentiate the kill power of a medium from a large medium. BUT......the recoil sure is less in the little 358 win.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a 416 Wby complete with 26" barrel and a KDF brake. Recoil was barely manageable as 15 shots were the max I could do in a session. Removing the brake once was punishing. In another session I removed the brake again. BAD IDEA. Recoil brought the gun back hard enough for the bolt knob to bruise the outside of my hand!! I have since sold the rifle and had a Taylor made on an 03A3 action. Currently it has a 24" barrel, but I think I'm gonna go down to 21". I haven't killed anything with it and might not ever, but it is a dream to shoot compared to the Wby. I use 338WM, 7 RM and 458WM for brass. Sometimes the 7 RM necks are cocked and need to be trimmed and squared up.

On a subsequent 375 AI build, I had the dogleg bolt handle cut and flipped forward on a '17 Enfiled. I did this to prevent the bruised hand syndrome - it worked. No need to do it on the Taylor as it is much gentler to the shooter.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 416 Rigby and I could load that up to nearly 416 Weatherby power, way beyond the Ruger, the Remington or the Taylor. But I noticed that with 400 grain bullets the Rigby is just fine at Rigby pressures, no need for me to go further - for me. Of course I'm in my 70's and have bursitis and arthritis.

I'm pretty sure a Taylor would be a good rifle for an old fart like me. I'm not positive what rifle I'd build it a Taylor on. I have a 375 Whelen AI on a Mauser action and a Mauser would work pretty good, I think. If I don't sell my tanger Ruger 77 in 7mm Mag, that could be re-barreled by ER Shaw I suppose and that would require very little extra work, I'd think.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bugger my Taylor is on a tang safety M77. I like my Taylor, I have used it on deer just because I have it but I've taken an Elk with it and it's been to Africa where I used it almost exclusively.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
GSPfan, what barrel - length, weight or contour did you use for your Taylor?

I was thinking nothing longer than 22” and heavy enough to make the rifle ~ 9 lb.

But I’d sell my Rigby first.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have had my Taylor for 20+ years and it has served me well in North America and Alaska.

It is a Ruger M77 Tang safety with 25" Douglas barrel with 1-4 x 20 Nikon. Shoots everything sub MOA and really like the 400 gr and 350 gr pills. My powder of choice is RL15.

Good Day

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bugger the barrel is 24 inches a Douglas premium. I don't recall the contour, I've had it for over 25 years probably closer to 30. The gun with Tally QD rings and a Burris 1.5 X5 scope weighs just a shade over 9 lbs.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I had one someone put together on a Mauser action. It was beautiful and put together right. But the rifle was very light. With 350 or 400 grain heavy loads the recoil was sharp and not pleasant and I’m not recoil sensitive. I sold it. In hind sight I wish I had just rebarreled it. I loved the cartridge and I loved loading for it. I’d definitely own another Taylor but I’d want it in a rifle 9lbs or heavier.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,503
Posts18,452,528
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.