W
What do you think?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I lived in BC and Canada Post went on strike, we just drove to Pt Roberts, WA or Sumas, WA and mailed our international stuff USPS. Now receiving, that was another story unless you maintained a PO Box in the states.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now the pot heads will have to wait for the mail delivery to resume before they can get their fixes. Too bad!

Jim

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I remember the good old days when they would strike, protest and get into brawls in uniform, wearing tidy, warm weather issue bermuda shorts. I always thought that was a bit humorous, shame on me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Now the pot heads will have to wait for the mail delivery to resume before they can get their fixes. Too bad!

Jim

Ha ha ha, that will be a nightmare for the potheads up here in the Territories where everything comes by snail mail. Im sure they will be taking to the streets in protest hours after the strike starts.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thought they usually waited for the holidays, no?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Makes me wonder how they would know when the strike started...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
It has slowed the receipt of a few proof copies of some books sent from Lexington, Ky.

I don't know about USPS, but Canada Post is becoming less meaningful as the years go by. I have to go to the town post office, and the postmaster told me the majority of CP's work load now comes from companies like amazon who use CP to deliver their products. It would be interesting to find out how much amazon pays CP. I guarantee that it cannot be that much.

amazon told sellers that they have made alternate plans should the strike impede Christmas deliveries. I guess that means couriers.

I recently transferred my business from an Ontario publisher and went to amazon.com . Authors that use amazon's services have their books printed in Lexington, Ky. Despite the strike, it is faster and cheaper to use their Kentucky based operation. I have books in my hands in less than a week, when ordering through amazon. It easily beat the three weeks required up here.

I think Canada Post is becoming less and less relevant as the years go by.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Coincidentally, I received an email from UPS yesterday saying that they will be delivering a package from KY. It seems that amazon has things worked out. CP isn't going to slow amazon down over the holidays.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Canada post’s parcel business is increasing every year. Even courier companies use Canada Post to deliver parcels to locations that they don’t service.
I don’t like getting packages from the US delivererd by UPS, the brokerage fees can be rediculous. I always use USPS/Canada Post for US packages unless it’s not an option.
I ordered a set of hiking boots from the US (roughly $650 cdn) and told the guy on the phone to send them USPS. He decided to send them UPS and I got hit with a $100 brokerage fee. I called the store back to find out what’s what, and the shipping price was the same on his end so he used UPS. I explained to him why Canadian customers hate UPS and he covered the brokerage fee for me and apologized.

Sorry, off topic a little.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to the news tonite Canada Post has asked other countries to stop sending parcels to them because they have accumulated so many they can't deliver that they are running out of space.
Jim

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't think the other countries are going to listen. Would you want (CDN) mail building up in your facility? Send it away. It's Canada's problem!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by mod7rem
Canada post’s parcel business is increasing every year. Even courier companies use Canada Post to deliver parcels to locations that they don’t service.
I don’t like getting packages from the US delivererd by UPS, the brokerage fees can be rediculous. I always use USPS/Canada Post for US packages unless it’s not an option.
I ordered a set of hiking boots from the US (roughly $650 cdn) and told the guy on the phone to send them USPS. He decided to send them UPS and I got hit with a $100 brokerage fee. I called the store back to find out what’s what, and the shipping price was the same on his end so he used UPS. I explained to him why Canadian customers hate UPS and he covered the brokerage fee for me and apologized.

Sorry, off topic a little.

Was charged $52 brokerage fee on a $299 SWFA 20X at the door last night, They will not ship USPS.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Some US companies won't ship to Canada using USPS. I'm not sure why. It is always best to confirm shipping details with them before submitting your order.

I had a feud with Dave Corbin about shipping bullet making dies and equipment up here from Oregon. Shipping USPS was one of the options at his web site, but he sent several orders to me via UPS. I refused them, and emailed him right away. I followed up with a copy of my original email order and his confirmation saying he would ship USPS.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The strike is causing our overseas parcels to our Irish grandkids to get waylade in Montreal of all places.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I ordered a set of hiking boots from the US (roughly $650 cdn)

at that price i'd probably only buy one boot

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ottawa has ordered them back to work. It's unlikely that Canada Post employees will get much sympathy from average Canadians if they disrupt everyone's Christmas. Both the government and the union know this, but the bluster continues.

Bill C-89 passed third reading by a vote of 166 to 43
- CP

Legislation ordering postal workers back to work was passed in the House of Commons during a special session that dragged on into the wee hours of Saturday morning.

Bill C-89 passed third reading by a vote of 166 to 43.

The Senate will now sit Saturday — and if necessary, Sunday — to deal with the bill, which would go into effect at noon ET on the day following royal assent.

The legislative push came as Ottawa, as well as smaller towns in Ontario and British Columbia, and Sherbrooke, Que., became the latest targets of rotating strikes by the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW).

Despite the rush to pass the legislation, Labour Minister Patty Hajdu encouraged Canada Post and CUPW to remain at the bargaining table.

"They can still pull a deal off," she said.

The rest is here. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-post-back-to-work-bill-passed-commons-1.4919412

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to this evenings news broadcast the bill will not be dealt with on Sunday. Instead it will be on Monday with workers expected back on Tuesday.

Jim

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Get stuff ordered, or put in the mail quickly. They have to clear the backlog and then service the higher holiday volume.

Senate passes legislation to end Canada Post strike

Joan Bryden, CP

OTTAWA -- Mail service will resume all across the country at noon Tuesday after the Senate passed legislation ordering an end to five weeks of rotating strikes by postal workers.

Royal assent was granted late Monday shortly after senators approved Bill C-89 by a vote of 53-25. Four senators abstained.

The government had deemed passage of the bill to be urgent due to the economic impact of continued mail disruptions during the busy holiday season. It rushed the bill through the House of Commons last week.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/senate-passes-legislation-to-end-canada-post-strike-1.4192219

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Pre Christmas parcels made it to Dublin from nw ont in 11 days. About normal for December.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 87 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.