Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Originally Posted by Azar
Oatmeal is a good binder for lean beef burger on the grill as well. Nothing wrong with that.

So is beef fat;)

LOL. Too true!

But if you're stuck with lean beef for grilling and need a binder...

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Never nothing...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'll mix an egg in if I want burgers to stick together on a grill but I like my elk to taste like elk.

A pound of elk and a pound of sausage does make nice meatloaf but otherwise, no fat mixed in my ground elk.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never mix any fat into elk burger. If we want a burger she fries in olive oil .
Never understood tainting great meat with pig and cow fat. Might as well go to mickey D's .

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
This thread has been very interesting, because when essentially the same question has been posted before, fewer people said they didn't add fat to game burger. Now it seems a LOT more aren't adding anything.

Am wondering if this is due to more of us wanting to eat less saturated fat in our diet, or more knowledge about game-burger cooking, where more of us are aware that adding fat isn't necessary for burgers to hold together.

Would appreciate hearing any comments on this.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Well, it turns out that saturated fat isn’t bad for us....as opposed to what doctors like me have been telling people for the last 20 or 30 years. Lots of literature on this. My personal experience is that you and Eileen are correct, no need to add fat to have good ground game meat. Nowadays we counsel our patients to worry much more about simple carbohydrate Thant saturated fat isn’t he diet. And, if I could consistently get high quality good tasting fat I would make a lot more sausage.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, we've been following the sat-fat research as well--along with the simple carbs. In fact have both lost weight in recent years while eating more fat and fewer carbs.

Eileen has been contacted by many readers who followed the recipes in her sausage cookbook, but reduced the fat content considerably because they thought it would be better for them. Then they complained the sausage didn't taste good. Well, duh!

We get our sausage fat primarily from local sources, along with some from the feral Texas pigs we take most years. Though Texas hogs usually have a diet high in corn (another possible factor in diet effect) despite supposedly being "wild."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Am wondering if this is due to more of us wanting to eat less saturated fat in our diet, or more knowledge about game-burger cooking, where more of us are aware that adding fat isn't necessary for burgers to hold together.

Not here.I just don't like ruining good elk meat with beef or pig fat.It's like adding tap water or Coke a Cola to a good bourbon. If I want fat,I go get a Sonic burger or maybe a steak house prime rib.Truthfully though, I have eaten so much less fat in may years because most of my meat is elk,deer or pronghorn, that my stomach rebels when it try to push fat into it.

I do make about 30 pounds of smoked summer sausage each year with 30% pork in it.Pork,not all pork fat though. Like pork butt or shoulder roasts

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
This thread has been very interesting, because when essentially the same question has been posted before, fewer people said they didn't add fat to game burger. Now it seems a LOT more aren't adding anything.

Would appreciate hearing any comments on this.

I do not add any fat to a "hamburger" as I have learned how to grill it and have it hold together. On the stove, ground burger for spaghetti yields no drippings - which is just fine. Just add sauce and noodles. But for summer sausage and brats, I do have some pork shoulder added to give it some moisture. While adding saturated fat is of some concern, tasting the unadulterated wild meat is most important.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 11/27/18.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was at a butcher that I work for......

The fat that place sold for adding to wild game was in a waxed cardboard box uncovered, directly under the fan blowing off the cold compressor. Un marked , un covered, lord knows for how long.

Same kind of scenario as my regular butcher.....but my regular butcher realizes it and recommends fresh pork butt instead.
He doesn't even care if he sells it to you. The local grocer generally has it from Smithfield bulk packed under $2.00 a pound.

I totally agree U don't need it to eat it......but if you want finicky pallets to enjoy it........it is the devil I know that works the best 4 me.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Add a little pork belly for taste.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jbuck: Indeed I do add 10% Beef Kidney Fat to my Elk and Deer burger.
The Beef kidney Fat is (according to my long time wild game butcher friend!) the sweetest of the beef fats.
Anyway myself and the rest of the VarmintFamily really enjoy this 10% mix.
I have tried Elk burger many times with no added fat and much prefer the added variety.
Be sure and hand trim all the sinew and white tissue from your trimmings before you take the meat to the butcher for adding the 10% Beef Kidney Fat - don't trust the butcher shop personnel to take the time to do this - this method ensures great burger!
Try it - you'll like it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I mix pork into elk sausage, but the burger I don’t mix.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pork loin bone in $0.99 a pound is what is going into mine this year. At about 15%. Then I can have pork short ribs after I filet the pork off. The loins.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
3:1 ratio. Pork butt.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
10% pork fat mixed in, mmmmmmm burgers

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't believe how easy pork loin roast filets off the bone!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IMO, adding beef or pork fat to elk is a bloody sacrilege. Quite literally...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
IMO, adding beef or pork fat to elk is a bloody sacrilege. Quite literally...

Agreed 100% with this.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Depends what your making with your ground elk, you want chili beans don't add fat but you need oil. I use 20% beef fat jut enough to keep it together for hamburger patties and Shepards pie.

"I've made alot of money in my life, most of it spent on guns and women. The rest of it I just wasted."
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1minute, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,853 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,541
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.