-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have found over the years that 10x as a walk-around bino- is a little too hard for me to hold steady as opposed to the 7x or 8x glasses and a reasonable rest is not always handy when on foot. And for me anything over 10x is demanding of a tripod if used primarily. If you regularly can “rest” a 10x in your style of general hunting, you’d be fine I’d think.

Over the years I’ve distilled my use to a Zeiss BRF (integral rangefinder) 8x45 HD for hunting on foot. They are heavy at over 30 oz but you eliminate a separate rangefinder. For-sit-and-glass hunting I use a Leica 15x56 on a tripod or a window mount if in the truck.

I’m sure there are other brands at less price that would suffice but these two at many years now have proven well worth it, especially priced as demo’s from Cameraland. I’ve really not used any other than the “Big 3” but have never been disappointed in any.

Now, scopes?..that’s another story.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always glad to discuss optics with the members here. Please give a call

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you plan on a 12x or 15x power binox, then you WILL need a tripod.

I hunt in heavy brush. I use a Conquest HD 15x56 mounted on a tripod when on the ground, or a gorillapod 5k when elevated.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

What I don't get is the "best value" or "best bang for the buck" approach a lot here have, Personally I choose what I want and then save 'til I can afford it, and if it is more than I can afford I go without 'til I can.

I have had enough of buying stuff I am not altogether happy with.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Agree with many of the opinion's above. I also own $$ Euro bino's but once I started using Nikon's MONARCH HG's that was it. It also had nothing to do with me doing freelance work with Nikon either. When I am hunting in TX,OK,KS or OR I use the best optic's I have and those are the HG's. An older guy from Maine I recently hunted with had the HG's and also loved em. When you are going to spend a grand on bino's, it's definitely worth looking through the ones you like and buying what works best for your eyes.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I smell...............................................a Pussy!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fellas2
I'm currently sitting on six or seven pairs on what i call, budget friendly binoculars. Suggestions always appreciated.

Sell all that chit and buy a used set of the Alpha's of your choice. I'm a Leica guy.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Meopta for the win!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Weare running a Weekend Meopta sale that's worth taking a look at. The Meopro 10x42 for only $399.99, the 8x32 Meopro for only $299.99

Give a call and let's discuss what would be best for you.

We also have 1 of the demo Leica Trinovid HD's left for only $799.99

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
If you do not want to tripod mount then I suggest you do not go over 10x.

+1

If you wear eyeglasses look at the zeiss 8x42 conquest, nikon 8x42 hg, or leica 8x42 hd each have adequate eye relief so you see the entire field of view.

Last edited by berryns; 12/01/18.

"Venison vanishcth down the vale,
with bounding hoof and flaunting tail."
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The one's that don't get it are the ones that think you have to spend $1500+ to get a fantastic set of hunting binos. Those days are long gone.

The Big 3 should be going out of business any day now lol

Nobody said you shouldn't spend the big bucks if you can afford it and want to.

No,,,but implying those that do choose to buy Alpha products, are somewhat foolish or uneducated consumers because of today's "new kids on the block" is lol.

There are many levels of optics budgets available, along with a multitude of choices based on needs in the field. Each person chooses what fit's his budget and provides the tool to accomplish the task. Arguing brands or even models is futile, especially if price isn't part of the equation.

People with a Ford Focus always feel the need to explain why they own a POS, yet I've never met a guy with a BMW explaining why he's stuck with that car.

Lol...you must not know many people with a BMW. If you own a BMW you need to set up an automatic withdrawal from your checking account with your mechanic the instant the warranty runs out.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART

What I don't get is the "best value" or "best bang for the buck" approach a lot here have, Personally I choose what I want and then save 'til I can afford it, and if it is more than I can afford I go without 'til I can.

I have had enough of buying stuff I am not altogether happy with.

It just depends on how you were raised. A binocular, a rifle, a four wheeler and all that stuff we talk about on here are just toys for most of us. In the grand scheme of things none of these items make much difference in our lives. I was raised that if you can’t buy something like that for cash without even thinking about it, then you can’t afford it. If you have to save, scrimp, plan, or buy it on credit, then you are better off focusing your time and energies elsewhere.

I’m not passing judgment or saying that one is better than the other...they obviously both have their merits and adherents, but that is the thinking for lots of people anyway.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
By the way, I’ll spend $2k on a pair of binoculars as soon as someone can cure me of the habit of setting them on the bumper of my truck while I get out of my hunting clothes and then driving off.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've got the 10x50 and 15x56 Swar's... I can use both pretty easily and have never used tripods. Your results may vary... I'd get the 10 power Swar's again... they get used the most unless I'm out west...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

No,,,but implying those that do choose to buy Alpha products, are somewhat foolish or uneducated consumers because of today's "new kids on the block" is lol.

There are many levels of optics budgets available, along with a multitude of choices based on needs in the field. Each person chooses what fit's his budget and provides the tool to accomplish the task. Arguing brands or even models is futile, especially if price isn't part of the equation.

People with a Ford Focus always feel the need to explain why they own a POS, yet I've never met a guy with a BMW explaining why he's stuck with that car.

That wasn't the implication, the explicit statement was about those who think one must buy an "alpha" from the big three to get a really good binocular.

Personally, I've been quite pleased with my Weaver Grand Slam 8.5x45 binocular, I like the Super Slam ones even better, just could not afford them at the time...right now I'd go with a Super Slam or a Meopro(especially for the deal Doug has going on the Meopro right now).

Last edited by CowboyTim; 12/02/18.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Within the OP's budget, what about the Meopta Meostar vs. the Leica Trinovid HD in 8 or 10x42?

Although not quite in the same league, I have an older pair of Pentax DCF WP 10x42s I'm rather pleased with.

My next pair will likely be either the Meostars or the Trinovid in 8x42.

Last edited by High_Noon; 12/02/18.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have a Demo Leica Trinovid HD 10x42 for only $799.99

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Years ago I decided to quit wasting money on cheap binoculars..I would do without till I saved up enough money for the best...which I thought were zeiss. After looking through both zeiss and Lica ..I walked out with Lica...that was 25 years ago and they are still good as new...
Pay now or pay later..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

$29.99 Bushnell's are where it's at! whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to get you to say "Hell yes I ordered the code red!"

Good flick.;)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, 6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 6 invisible), 1,661 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,200
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.