Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M

First, a few qualifiers. Will be hunting with a S&W 8 3/8”, 460.....inserting ear plugs, immediately before a shot is not practical. I cannot/will not hunt with hearing protection permanently inserted, as I want to hear but save my ears when shooting. So, at reasonable prices (cheap)...what do you folks recommend? Walker’s or something else! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I use these for bird hunting and deer hunting. Won’t magnify anything but you can hear pretty well with them.

https://www.earplugstore.com/health-enterprises-acu-life-impact-ear-plugs.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried all of the latest and greatest over the last 48 years or so, and I am now functionally deaf in all but the lowest frequencies--and there is a lot of hearing loss down there, too. I am convinced that the relatively new electronic muffs are the only way to go. My audiologist has told me that if I don't give up shooting, period, I am going to lose my hearing completely.

I wear a set of Howard Leights for all of my shooting, be it sporting clays, load development or hunting. I have had annual audiograms for the last dozen years or so, and the electronic muffs have been the most effective at minimizing the loss of what hearing I have left. They also make it possible to hear elk talking again and conversation with hunting and shooting companions.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Keep the comments, recommendations, and suggestions coming....I’m all ears (pun intended))! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I use Walker electronic ear muffs at the range and 2 things I learned about them.

There are no secrets at the range, you can hear everything.

You just can't tell which direction it's coming from.

I have hearing loss and think the game ears or similar would be great except for not telling which direction the sound is coming from. But they do work.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found a pair of these in the woods this past weekend.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/walkers-game-ear-alpha-power-muff-360-quad

From the specs, they are safe for gunshots and amplify sound. The Mikes are directional.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I just picked-up a set of these https://otistec.com/earshield-hearing-protection/ ( about $20.00 @ Cabelas )a week or so before season and used them during one practice session. No ear ringing after better than 100 rounds of .308, 30-30, .44 and .45 acp combined. With them in your ears , they do muffle normal sound a little, but not near as much as regular muffs. While hunting I have just been leaving them around my neck. I find them much more comfortable than the Howard Leights. The H.L.'s give me a headache if I leave them in very long and are tight enough on my neck to feel like they are choking me. Plus, I have lost several of the replaceable plugs on the H.L's by just wrapping them around my neck. For me, they are a happy in between for hunting, for regular range sessions, I'll stick with a good pair of muffs.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use the Walker electronic muffs too. But I don't hunt in warm weather.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Walker's are the way to go. My hearing is just about gone, but these help to save what I have left. I also keep a pair by the bedside encase there is a bump in the night. Also have a pair in the car just for the same reason.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Still watching responses....Thanks, and keep them coming. I may get around to asking about specific models.....if that info was not included with the comment. Thanks again, I’m a cheap @$$, and want to do it right the first time.....even (especially) if I have to drop a couple of hundred bucks! memtb

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I dropped $1700 on in ear Sport Ear devices, they were awful in terms of hearing understanding a conversation. They were OK in terms of amplification, I thought so so for muting, I sent them back. I would like to try a pair of the $140 new in ear walker game ears.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I just bought the Axil Ghost Stryke Essential. goaxil.com

Haven't tried them out as they just arrived today. I selected them based on my own research. So you know what that's worth:-)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
memtb,

Not a fan of Walkers electronic (low end) muffs. I bought two pair, only opened one, they did not seem to shut off as quick as my old (low end) Howard Leight's or Caldwell's.

My Howard Leight's and Caldwell's are eight to ten years old and are usable only as muff's now... so am going to give the Howard Leights a try again.

For Rifles (centerfire & rimfire) and .22lr pistols I've gone to suppressors for hearing protection while hunting, and suppressed rimfire mostly at the range. Wish I'd done this 30 years ago!

I just do not see the point of centerfire pistols and suppressors... you've taken a handy easily carried gun and turned it into the length of a rifle (well almost).

YMMV,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WoodsStalker
Walker's are the way to go. My hearing is just about gone, but these help to save what I have left. I also keep a pair by the bedside encase there is a bump in the night. Also have a pair in the car just for the same reason.

I keep a set by my bed too. Good point about the vehicle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
memtb,

Not a fan of Walkers electronic (low end) muffs. I bought two pair, only opened one, they did not seem to shut off as quick as my old (low end) Howard Leight's or Caldwell's....

Jerry - the Walkers don't shut off. They're sound compression devices. That's why I like them better than the Peltors I have, which shut off to control the noise. Much easier to have a conversation over gunfire with the Walkers.

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I do appreciate all of the comments. “If”, I go with the Walkers, in the ear, behind the ear, the ear buds, or my least favorite ....the muffs. I read (Amazon comments) good and bad with all....it seems. The jury is still out, for me. I’ve read, though hard to believe, that the inside the ear is more secure. I’m, kinda, leaning toward the in the ear.....just seems less intrusive! Again.....any input appreciated! memtb

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Get comfy ones so you’ll actually wear them all the time.

I swear by my MSA Sordins with gel cups.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kellory
I found a pair of these in the woods this past weekend.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/walkers-game-ear-alpha-power-muff-360-quad

From the specs, they are safe for gunshots and amplify sound. The Mikes are directional.

Their rating is almost as low as Paddler's. Probably why you found them in the woods.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've got the latest Walker's as well. They hang around one's collar and they are directional. As others have said, they allow one to hear what's being said while others shoot, etc. I have lots of other hearing protection for the range, etc. These are the only ones I've tried that I will take hunting. While my hearing is plenty good enough for the hunting I do, one round from my 18", M1A Scout, and my ears will ring for hours. Eighteen inch barreled .308's with a muzzle brake do that to you.
If you get them, make sure you use the proper size inserts. And follow their direction for inserting them. The batteries seem to last one plus hours, but they will protect your ears even when they quit. E

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by alukban
Get comfy ones so you’ll actually wear them all the time.

I swear by my MSA Sordins with gel cups.

Do they provide amplification of speech or typical sound ( example while hunting), while minimizing the sound of gunfire? memtb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
587 members (12308300, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.