Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I've got the latest Walker's as well. They hang around one's collar and they are directional. As others have said, they allow one to hear what's being said while others shoot, etc. I have lots of other hearing protection for the range, etc. These are the only ones I've tried that I will take hunting. While my hearing is plenty good enough for the hunting I do, one round from my 18", M1A Scout, and my ears will ring for hours. Eighteen inch barreled .308's with a muzzle brake do that to you.
If you get them, make sure you use the proper size inserts. And follow their direction for inserting them. The batteries seem to last one plus hours, but they will protect your ears even when they quit. E

I’m surprised by the “very” short battery life! Is this typical for most of the ear protection/ sound amplification products available? memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by kellory
I found a pair of these in the woods this past weekend.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/walkers-game-ear-alpha-power-muff-360-quad

From the specs, they are safe for gunshots and amplify sound. The Mikes are directional.

Their rating is almost as low as Paddler's. Probably why you found them in the woods.

Hmm. I've had mine for many years, and no problems. Maybe they changed the manufacture?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
What is the battery life expectancy? I’m looking for something to put on and forget while handgun hunting! At handgun hunting ranges, I’m hoping to minimize movement and be quick on target acquisition! Thanks. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/03/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by kellory
I found a pair of these in the woods this past weekend.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/walkers-game-ear-alpha-power-muff-360-quad

From the specs, they are safe for gunshots and amplify sound. The Mikes are directional.

Their rating is almost as low as Paddler's. Probably why you found them in the woods.

Hmm. I've had mine for many years, and no problems. Maybe they changed the manufacture?

No idea. I just looked at the link and saw the poor rating.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by memtb
What is the battery life expectancy? I’m looking for something to put on and forget while handgun hunting! At handgun hunting ranges, I’m hoping to minimize movement and be quick on target acquisition! Thanks. memtb

I can't say what battery life might be. I do hunt with them on, but they spend more time at the range. Even wore them at work for a while. Can't remember ever having to replace them very often, but I don't get to spend as much time at the range as I used to these days - and I never was into regular competition. Pretty safe to say they will last through a typical hunt, I think, if only on while wearing them. Starting with fresh batteries, they've always lasted at least a few days for me. If you're worried about it, use lithium batteries. Better shelf life anyway, and the spare batteries are lighter.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the Walkers $140 in ear. The batteries are a type which i have never used. Basically, you peel a little label off, and they activate. From then on, they work for "80 hours," but there is no saving the battery by turning the device off. They simply go-go-go until they poop out.

One set of batteries lasts a whole weekend of shooting birds, or on the range for me. Next weekend, need new batteries.

I bought a big pack of batteries thru Amazon or Walmart for $20 or so.

The units work fine. Sound quality is pretty crappy, like an old-school walktie-talkie or the like, but you can have normal conversations, and they do suppress the report of gunfire.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickBin
I have the Walkers $140 in ear. The batteries are a type which i have never used. Basically, you peel a little label off, and they activate. From then on, they work for "80 hours," but there is no saving the battery by turning the device off. They simply go-go-go until they poop out.

One set of batteries lasts a whole weekend of shooting birds, or on the range for me. Next weekend, need new batteries.

The units work fine. Sound quality is pretty crappy, like an old-school walktie-talkie or the like, but you can have normal conversations, and they do suppress the report of gunfire.

Those are hearing aid batteries, that is how they work. Recognize anyone in this picture?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hickok45 style ear protection while walking. Leith Impacts if more time available.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Really appreciate it guys....you’re giving me plenty to think about! memtb

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RickBin

Rick, my niece is a Doctor of audiology, and told me that testing shows hearing aid batteries will last ~ 10% longer if opened - then not put into use for 7 - 10 minutes. JFYI.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
To tell the truth, I haven't timed the battery life. It could be a couple of hours, but not much longer than that. And I don't know if turning the volume up affects the battery life. You do get a recharger with them. E

Last edited by Oheremicus; 12/04/18.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by alukban
Get comfy ones so you’ll actually wear them all the time.

I swear by my MSA Sordins with gel cups.

Do they provide amplification of speech or typical sound ( example while hunting), while minimizing the sound of gunfire? memtb

Yes.

This review is what sold me:

https://trevoronthetrigger.wordpres...rformance-the-misleading-nrr18db-rating/

There are “plain ol’ dB ratings” used to sell stuff and then there are “firearms frequency-specific dB ratings”.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by alukban; 12/04/18.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

313 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 32 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,626
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.