Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13314475 11/28/18
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have a plan.

Been soaking the deer liver in salt water for a while.

Going to cut it up into squares and marinate it a while in some worchestershire, mustard, soy, garlic brown sugar,......and things. Maybe some vinegar.

After that I will wrap the squares in bacon and put them on skewers with onion. Maybe some other vegetable I can find.

Going to then grill the liver. Not sure if this is going to work, but the liver did not cost me much.

Can always schit can this recipe and make hot dogs!

I am MAGA.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Glad to see that you have a backup plan. Years ago, I tried a recipe for some sort of casserole with deer liver instead of the usual liver and onions. Jeez, it was awful!

I used to save liver and heart but the wife refuses to cook or eat it so now it is left for the coyotes.

You know the liver is the "oil filter" of the body, right?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Any time that I've had deer liver it has always been panfried in bacon drippings with onions, never heard of marinating it. Can't hurt to try though as I prepare other venison in the manner that you describe.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Properly prepared, it is always a treat ! (As is heart)

Clean & slice to your liking, marinate in butter milk, dredge in seasoned flour & cook to your liking.

Best not over cooked & served with bacon, onions & mashed taters.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Dont do it.

Negative ghost rider....the pattern is full.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn Jim,
You made me choke on my coffee!

Liver is a strong thing.
If it went bad,
I bet it went real bad.

I must have slipped a cog,
I can't stop laughing.

Hope the hot dogs were good!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i used to eat deer liver until i got a bad one. can't do it anymore. i used to just soak it in salt water and then slice it and fry it in butter and sweet onions. better than starving to death.

My diploma is a DD214
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love liver.

Fried in bacon grease. Served with onions, bacon, mashed potatoes green beans and a salad.

YUM YUM... Think I know what I'm going to have for dinner tonight.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim,

Seems to me that unless you like the bacon really undercooked the method you attempted would result in very overcooked liver.

Is that what ruined it?

I enjoy liver from, deer, elk, pig, calf's, beef, chicken, turkey etc, so to me I think I'll avoid the recipe above.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Steve Rinella (Meateater) recipe is good.
Sliced and soaked a few hours in water with a lemon or two juiced in the water. The lemon juice seems to remove a lot of blood.
Cook onions in bacon grease
Rinse and dry liver with paper towel
Cook liver quickly in same grease. Keep it pink in the middle.
Serve with onions

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back when we had a big Deer camp we'd have the liver for breakfast the next day but I never took any home with me.

I'm back and forth with liver....when I was a kid I hated it and then when I got older I started liking it.
Now days I can take it or leave it but I usually leave it.
Chicken liver's another story.....I love the stuff in Cajun dishes.

F
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
F
Seems like every deer camp has a liver freak in it. Old man thats been a part of our larger group for three decades brings all his seasonings with him just in case he finds a good one.

Hunting with him one year I down a deer cleaned it and left the liver on the gut pile for when he finally showed up to supposedly help me haul the buck to the truck. He looks at the liver, picks it up and walks away saying hes got to get it to the truck, into a ziplock and on ice, stating he'll be back.

Yeah an hour later as Im half way back hauling the buck down the road. Im just shaking my head, at least he brought me a beer.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My brother at camp removes all the gray skin- after soaking it in cold salt water. Slices 1/4 " thick--- egg wash ---- flour---- light coated seasoned bread crumbs--- quick deep fry in cast iron
skillet with 1/2" of good oil. Not overly cooked but just a tiny tad pink. Our venison liver here is very very mild and somewhat sweet. One cannot compare it to calves or pigs liver.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Back when we had a big Deer camp we'd have the liver for breakfast the next day but I never took any home with me.

I'm back and forth with liver....when I was a kid I hated it and then when I got older I started liking it.

Dirty rice is my favorite way to eat liver. About the only way I'll eat it, in fact.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Dirty rice is my favorite way to eat liver. About the only way I'll eat it, in fact.

Eat a couple links of my Boudan and you'll have two ways you'll eat liver. It's loaded with Chicken Liver.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
sick
Go with the hot dogs,lol

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Eat a couple links of my Boudan and you'll have two ways you'll eat liver. It's loaded with Chicken Liver.

I bet it's good! Will have to meet up for a swap sometime. Beer for boudan!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Deal!!!!

PS.....knowing all the great beers coming out of your area these days I'm pretty sure I'll come out ahead on this deal. I'll bring you a couple ropes.

.[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My brother told me that he’s tried cooking the liver two different times and he said he cannot get the blood out of it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I love liver and onions. Use cast iron and cook it done but not over done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 53 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.