Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
K_P Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
My Asolo hiking boots have started to fall apart. Not sure I'll buy another pair--seems that the sole fell apart way before they should have--and wwll before the leather wore out.

Do you have a favorite brand/model? I'm looking for footwear that will handle a mountain trail and back-packing as well as a for general hunting applications. Money isn't a concern when it comes to boots. I learned a hard less half a lifetime ago with trying to economize on boots. I'll spend good money on quality footwear.

Thx,

KP

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Saloman Quest 4D 3 GTX is my current favorite boot.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by tdbob
Saloman Quest 4D 3 GTX is my current favorite boot.

+1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had good luck with Vasque hiking boots in the past, but I am not climbing high int sheep country either. If I ever draw, I'll be buying Zamerlan or Crispi, or some other mountaineering boot for that. My son is an avid hiker and loves his Saloman boots/shoes. I have learned my lesson to ever buy another pair of Merrel boots, as they are just for work and already torn up.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The most comfortable, best fitting boot that I’ve used so far is Lowa Cevedale Tech Lite Hunters. I hunt stone sheep every year, with goat hunts mixed in once every couple years, for the past 16 yrs and I’ve been using these for the last 3 or 4 yrs. They are light, with good support, and a narrower tread than other boots I’ve used which gives me better balance and agility in the mountains. The only downside is, even though they have a full rubber rand, they are not full leather upper. So I do find them not as water resistant as other full leather boots I’ve had. Noticeable in the last couple trips but they are getting some miles on them. I probably could have helped by keeping up on treating the fabric more often and not just the leather. I would definitely buy another pair. I also really recommend the custom foot bed from Lathrop & Sons.

Last edited by mod7rem; 11/29/18.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’d have a look at the Zamberlan 1030.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have been wearing the Hanwag Tarta Top GTX and really like them for hunting and hiking. They are stiff for climbing which I like and they wear like Iron. I really like the way you can adjust the lacing over your foot and have a different tension on your upper.

https://www.hanwag.com/shop/hanwag-tatra-top-gtx-H2358/

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX... been using them for 5 or 6 years. Great boot that I use for early season hunting, hiking, etc.

However, about 3 years ago I broke the boot habit and now do all my mild-weather backpacking in low hikers, using the older equivalent of the Salomon X Ultra 3 GTX.

I'd never go back to boots...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Brad's recommendations are good. June-Sept. I don't wear boots at all. All fall I used the Hoka Tor Ultra Hi and Altra Lone Peak Mid, which are sort of a boot. That included multiple off trail loads over 100 lbs, knee deep snow, and temps down to zero. Many ways to skin a cat, but light boots and shoes are my choice at this point.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
Brad's recommendations are good. June-Sept. I don't wear boots at all. All fall I used the Hoka Tor Ultra Hi and Altra Lone Peak Mid, which are sort of a boot. That included multiple off trail loads over 100 lbs, knee deep snow, and temps down to zero. Many ways to skin a cat, but light boots and shoes are my choice at this point.

Snowy, some of us older, hard-headed guys take a little time to see the light. Experience can be deep but narrow!

The older I get the more flexible I've become in my thinking, and that's only helped me...

Probably one of the most interesting and factual findings the US Army ever discovered is that 1lb on your feet is the equivalent, in terms of energy expended, of 5 lbs on your back. I KNOW this is true from experience, and, within reason, will ruthlessly pair weight from my feet. The shoes must still be rugged enough for backpacking, but I can't fathom backpacking in leather boots like I did in the 1970's... in light of what's available today that's incredibly backwards.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know what Asolo model you are replacing, but if it is the Fugitive GTX, you must drag them behind the truck when you are not using them.

I am all for trying new good stuff, the Asolo Fugitive GTX have been awesome and bulletproof for me. Broke them in in Argentina logging 8-10 km a day following a guide after Red Deer. That was 2015. Put crazy abuse into them last season chasing the little devils we call quail all over the local foothills. Just used the same pair last week in MT to pack out a meat buck. Lots of other stuff too.

These have a LOT of life left in them. I guess this is all in case fit brings you back to Asolo. Fugitive GTX is THE way to go in Asolo. Check the reviews.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BTW, just checked Backcountry.com and the Asolo Fugis as well as the Salomons are on sale.

I haven't seen the Fugis on sale for years, and ... I am nowhere near needing another pair so I am going to pass.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Count me in the Salomon fan club. I have one pair that has 6 elk hunts and lots of other miles. Two more pairs share the load now. It was forecast to be quite cold this year so I wore some insulated Crispi boots. My feet tend to sweat and I think they end being colder in an insulated leather boot than a non-insulated boot that breathes better (Salomons). Clearly there’s a limit to that, but I’ve learned breathability is better for me than a little (400g) insulation in a leather boot.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My feet like Merrell boots. I've got significant protruding bony knobs on both heels that require a deep heel. Can't wear Danners anymore, the back of the heel is too flat and grinds the protruding knobs' skin off.

In dry weather, I wear the low-top moab ventilators. I wear them with cordura gaiters if I need to keep rocks, sticks, etc out of my shoes. I only wear high tops to keep water out. My only need for ankle support is when I'm snow shoeing. I haven't done that since I quit being able to wear the Danners. Recently I found Merrell "Phaserbound" waterproof boots. These have a medium-high top and a decent heel pocket. I think they'll work for snowshoeing. I've got a pair of waterproof mid-height Moabs as well.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
K
K_P Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by RickBin
I don't know what Asolo model you are replacing, but if it is the Fugitive GTX, you must drag them behind the truck when you are not using them.

Mine are Asolo TPS 520 GV from 2012. I looked 'em up on my REI purchase history (handy!) and was surprised that they're already 6-plus years old.

The soles started to delaminate. I've learned that they were designed to be re-soled. Asolo recommends Dave Page in Seattle.
Looked up his business--pretty cool.

Thanks for the input gents. I'll be researching your suggestions, but I'm prone to see if re-soling is cost effective. I do like the fit of these boots.

KP

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
KP, I am an Asolo man through and through. I also got 6 years out of my last pair before the sole de-laminated, by then the soles were pretty well worn out. When this pair de-laminates I'll try Mr. Page for a reboot so to speak. I love them because I have a long skinny foot and they fit perfectly. I would definiteyl buy them again. Mine are the Powermatic 200 GVs.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I'm a big fan of eVent so the Hoka has my attention. Can you share more details of your experience with them Snowy? Thanks

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I REALLY wanted to like the Fugitive. But for what ever reason they just don't work with my feet. The Soloman 4D hikers have been great for me however. They are a pretty light boot, but with lots of support. I wore out one pair and am on my 2nd. But living here in GA, they are my winter boot. During summers I sometimes wear low top hikers, but am more likely use a non- waterproof, very breathable mid top during summer months.

And while the Soloman boots fit my foot perfectly, their shoes just hurt my feet.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a pair of Lathrop and Sons Mountain Hunters, bought earlier this year and used them extensively this fall hunting elk and chukars in Idaho. I also bought their proprietary footbeds and am very happy with them. I stopped by their store/practice (their father practices podiatry in the same building), had them fit me up. Very solid support and very comfortable, even during a couple long trips off the mountain with heavy packs (meat). Not cheap, but money well spent.

https://lathropandsons.com/lathrop-and-sons-mountain-hunter.html/

C
C
Boots are a tough subject for the internet.

Fit is key. And some prefer lightweight hikers while others wouldn’t set foot on the mountain without a stiff boot with lots of support. It all comes down personal preference. (I personally can’t see hiking in uneven terrain without at least some ankle support.)

I love my Kenetrek Hardscrabbles - they fit my foot well and strike a good balance between weight and support. I like a good rand for the rocks also.

Kenetrek, Lowa, Asolo, Crispi, Scarpa are all good brands to look at and there are many others. Only real route to the best boot for each individual is trying several types and deciding what works best for you. This usually requires that some miles be put on them.

Good luck in your search.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Non waterproof trail runners are all I use for summer backpacking. The Altra Lone Peak Shoes will be what I try next.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 61 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.