Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I’ve sold off a few rifles and have a stash of funds that I intend to use for upgrading my compound bow.

In addition, I’d like to be more self sufficient with my arrows - taking blanks and spinning up the finished product.

Anyone have a resource - website or book - that would be the equivalent of the rifle reloading manual for archery?

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you mean spinning wood to make arrow shafts, I don’t know.
Three Rivers Archery has lots of arrow making stuff.
I buy shafts, and fletch them myself. And in many cases I use turkey feathers from turkeys that I have arrowed.
Three Rivers has the stuff to cut feathers.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Archerytalk is a great resource for information, Lancaster Archery has every piece and part known to man for bow/arrow/equipment needs(like a Midway). Fletching jigs are reasonably priced, buying vanes in bulk is cheap, shafts only in your needed size. Make sure to prep shafts/vanes correctly before gluing, make sure to buy the correct jig straight/left/right helical for your needs.

You don't save much building your own arrow, but you can build exactly what you want in size/length/configurations. Adding a bow press and other tuning equipment would probably be a better spend of your money, and produce better results in bow fitting and accuracy.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Bwana you’re on the right track that I’m headed down.

Yes fletching and making my own arrows from carbon shafts, getting a bow press, etc.

Should I just call up Lancaster and see if they can start pointing me in the right direction?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd take a serious look at what you want to do first, fletching is an easy setup based on budget...tuning tools can be a more detailed look based on model's limb configurations, and learning the techniques need to adjust draw length/cam timing etc...you'll want to have a solid path or you'll end up with a bunch of stuff you'll never use or need(kind of like reloading).

Fletching: You'll need a jig, decide of helical degree or none(straight offset)...vanes of choice(length/height)...glue & prep cleaner. It's easier than the lists suggests, then get info or YouTube for techniques. Archerytak will have tons of info and helpful members.

Most of these decisions are based on bow type, bow speed, broadhead type,...meaning how well do you want to control broadhead flight, versus giving up speed in arrow rotation. Most fixed head shooters use helical, most expandable shooters use 2-3 degree offset fletch, straight is generally for indoor target.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I really enjoy making my own arrows - been doing it for 40 years. Mostly wood arrows, but have been fletching more carbons in recent years. I've gone as far as hand planning square blanks into round shafts which have resulted in far superior arrows to any from wood shafts I've purchased. I'm not aware of any books specific to building arrows and most info on the subject will likely be geared towards the traditional side of things. Here is a link to a bunch of how to videos on 3 Rivers Archery's website that has some arrow making and fletching information:

https://www.3riversarchery.com/video-clips.html

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy a recurve. Then you will almost have to fletch to get the arrows you want.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have been building my own arrows since the early 80's.
While Bitzenberger was THE fletching jib to have, and shop I shot for had bunches on a rotating table............I did just fine with a Jo-Jan Monofletcher.
This back in the days of Flechtite adhesive (took a while to cure).

Yeah, I know they make a Multi fletcher............but I like one jig, for repeatability.

And now with everybody using cyanoacrylates.........it's pretty speedy wink

A jig and a cut off saw will be all you need.
I just use my local shop's cut off saw since I know the gang (and buy my raw shafts there).

They have the newer type of bow press for the latest parallel limb bows............

Last Chance Archery press.
Once you use one you won't run anything else (foot pedal electric).

Have gone back to recurve and use carbons (since 2002).

The local pro shop still has an Easton Assembly Line aluminum arrow straightener LOL
Big $ back in the day. Spent many an eve with that thing and Miller Lite.
Got really good at it (get them straight even down near the ends).

Of course some could not be salvaged.

Hmmm, wonder if I've lost the touch?

Eh, I'm sold on carbons. Have various inserts and weights for the Gold Tip stuff (tune spine for trad bows).

Last edited by hookeye; 11/04/18.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
FWIW I run 4" parabolic feather fletch in helical, w offset.
I shoot big fixed blade heads on trad and modern to 272 FPS and have no issues.
Might be fine at faster speeds, dunno.........that's as fast as I've shot.

I do run 12-21% FOC.

One item might be worth having, the G5 ASD (arrow squaring device).
Have seen new inserts not square at the face, and have banged some to where they lost square.
The ASD made them good again.

Back in the aluminum days I had a machined aluminum V block with blade, for nock alignment.
Not a cheesy device, you could drop this one and it'd not get out of whack.
Could have made it into an ASD.

But when I went to carbon I ditched that boat anchor.

Not going back to aluminum (even though the old Easton charts were right on the money on what you needed- with options).
Not too thrilled with the carbon charts....................but with the GT weight system I make them tune just fine.

Last edited by hookeye; 11/04/18.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
3 Rivers Archery has all the gear I need and very helpful and and friendly folks working for them. I’ve heard much the same about Lancaster but haven’t used them. If you’re going to get a fletching jig get a Bitzenburger. About $100 but worth it. Can be had for less with some looking around. I’ve shot wood,aluminum and carbon in my recurve. I like wood but it doesn’t last as long as I’d like. I have Carbon Express Heritage arrows with Magnus 150’s They look like wood but have enough spine for my bow which has been the issue with wood. Black Eagle makes some nice looking carbon arrows too with plenty of spine. No expert but I love to shoot and hunt with it. Like yourself I’m a hand loader so building my own arrows just makes sense.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I did a super matched set of bleed crested/dipped wood arrows for my Blackwidow MA2 back in '88.
Got the stuff from 3 Rivers..............when they were in the basement of a house down the road from my mom's place..

2 greybarred w white cock feather.......white dip, black bleed crest, white nock................gorgeous on that bow.
Blew up 3 stumping one day.

Sold all my components to my buds and went aluminum.

Shot aluminum up to 2002, when I changed to carbons on my 2001 Blackwidow SA2

Last edited by hookeye; 11/11/18.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Once upon a time I was 100% self-sufficient for bow work, arrows, string making, tuning etc. After a spell I worked in a local shop as the bow tech

Now, with bows that got shorter and limbs more towards parallel, my bow press is useless, after market string makers popped up to make it less cost effective for me to make strings due to the quality I suddenly could get (making a set of strings/cables takes about an hour or so).

I still have the fletching jig and used to spend many weekends fletching, for family, friends and eventually the shop. Now, we are down to 2 archers and we don't lose arrows as much. I can still fletch and do it to repair damaged fletch, but given time it wasn't cost effective for me.

If you are doing it for pleasure, it can be rewarding!

Lancaster is a GREAT resource, the folks that answer the phone know what they are talking about. Tell them what you want.

The bow press will be the biggest investment. But it also lets you do TONS of things.

Other stuff:
- fletching jib (I have a Jo-Jan 6 arrow)
- serving jig (and several different materials)
- arrow cut saw
- arrow square (vital with todays inserts)

Learn how to tune, there's tons of ways, I've pretty much backed off to focussing on broadhead turning. I haven't paper tuned a bow in years as that's just a starting point. I eyeball the setup, sight in at 20 with field points, then broad head tune back to 50.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,551 guests, and 704 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,520
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.