Print Thread
Hop To
M
mod7rem Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
For those that have used both for late season deer hunting, which do you prefer? I’ve been using heavy wool pants for a lot of years for deer hunting in cold, snowy sometimes wet weather and now I need to replace them. Not sure if I should go with wool again or try the kuiu guide pant. Deer hunting for me is lots of walking/still hunting, and sitting as much as the cold will allow me. I like wool for the warmth, durability and how quiet it is, but it is very heavy when wet so maybe a change would be nice. I also use the wool pants for lynx hunting in the winter- snowshoeing then sitting over a call, then more snowshoeing and sitting. Wondering if the Guide pant might be better for this to. Thanks

Last edited by mod7rem; 11/15/18.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like the Guide pants better for the kind of hunting you describe, with lots of walking and the possibility of getting wet. Or any qualty synthetic pants.

I think the key is getting a synthetic that's thick enough for the warmth you need for sitting.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Guide pants are great, I don't wear much wool anymore.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Kuiu is built around layering your wear - you're going to want a layer you can add and remove as your activity level changes.

If you are going sit, in clothes that are comfortable (not over-heating) when on the move, you are going to be, or are cold, - JMHO.

The Guide pant is good for walking and hiking if you spot and stalk - the hip vents actually work better for me than I expected.

It does shed light/medium rain/snow water well in my experience, but I'm not hunting deep Alaska or in Georgia swamps.

Kuiu makes several layers that you can take on and off with out having to take your boots off - which I like, I'm sure there are just as options in other brands.

I use the Kenai puffy jacket and pants as my sitting layers, they are in the day pack and go on before I sit in the stand.

The pants are full side zip, so they can taken off easy and fairly quickly - aka "The Stripper Pants" - several bad jokes there in our camp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Guide Pant is my favorite late season pant (better than the Sitka Timberline, IMO, which is another good pant).

As AH64guy said, you can layer up Kuiu base layers or insulation layers under the Guide if needed. You can also throw something like a Mountain Hardwear Compressor Pant over the top, which I do often.

Synthetics are much better than wool, IMO.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tag.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the feedback guys. I’m going to go with the Guide pant. Placed an order this afternoon.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Good choice. Found out last month they are reasonably water repellent if you need to sit in snow for a bit.
Cut loose enough for a good layer beneath.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by lostleader
Good choice. Found out last month they are reasonably water repellent if you need to sit in snow for a bit.
Cut loose enough for a good layer beneath.

No problem sitting on the snow, I always have a sitting mat with me in my Day pack. I use a badlands ultra day pack and I slide the mat into the ventilation space against my back. That way I always have it. I’m looking forward to using them. Hopefully they don’t take too long to get here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd love to hear what you think of the Guide pants after you get them. I'm also looking for a late-season pant that can handle some snow and hold enough heat to keep you comfortable for some sitting.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Guess I am just old fashioned, but for 'normal' deer hunting, I prefer wool or Berber type fleece. Main reasons are quiet and durability. I have trashed a couple pair of light weight synthetic pants busting through blackberry bushes in clearcuts that really don't do any damage to wool or fleece. If you are an extreme hunter, meaning lots of elevation changes and 10+ miles of hiking per day, maybe the few ozs. will make a difference to you. Synthetic stuff really shines on trails and in open country above treeline...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you are planning to remain stationary a long time in below zero conditions, wool still can't be beaten. If you are moving occasionally, spotting and stalking, then a Guide pant with a thinner layer will work. I have both and use both applications.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
N
N
I used both on a Wyoming sheep hunt last year. Deep wet snow, wool worked best to keep me warn. Little or no snow guide pants was great. They dry fairly quick if they get wet. They do not hold the heat like wool. I never been able to layer the lower body effectively as I can the upper body. Yes I had one of KUIU best rain top and bottom sets. I have used wool for many years in Canada, Alaska and US Rockies. Last year was my first use of the guide pants. I bought a second pair this year but will not be used in mountain snow and similar weather this year.

I highly recommend their rain gear. Really great.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,418
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.