Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
So would you be at the Skylark ranch or thereabouts? I’m over on 125, by the C Lazy U

GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My lil motor boat wearing a tracking collar
Do you turn yours loose? I've never trusted mine enough to try it.

No I took it off of a dead deer and posed it on him as a joke, its property of CPW.

Yes Riverdog, of course if I OWNED the Skylark I wouldn't have to charge for my pack llamas... stop by and meet the boys sometime winters are pretty slow around here.

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Good planning on your part to be able to continue to elk hunt, Congratulations.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not sure if it would be worth the trip but NE Texas has a world of mules and donkeys. Don't know if any could be bought or the price but nearly every small farm or ranch has 2-3 on the property. I have no idea why because a lot of the properties I see them on have no visible need for them and I don't think they make good pets.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Mama elk is hanging in the cooler for another week or more but I whacked off a piece of loin for bbq chops. Tasty and tender. This is going to be one of the good ones.
Conditions vary greatly but if I can, I like to gut and skin them then leave them lie overnight if possible. I'll come up the next morning with the llamas and dice them up before the pack out. That gives them plenty of time to go in and out of rigor mortis which makes for more tender meat. Boning before they cool and go into rigor can make them much tougher. I've learned that the hard way. I've had some really tough meat when I bone them hot.
Bear and wolf problems abound but so far I've been lucky.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Mama elk is hanging in the cooler for another week or more but I whacked off a piece of loin for bbq chops. Tasty and tender. This is going to be one of the good ones.
Conditions vary greatly but if I can, I like to gut and skin them then leave them lie overnight if possible. I'll come up the next morning with the llamas and dice them up before the pack out. That gives them plenty of time to go in and out of rigor mortis which makes for more tender meat. Boning before they cool and go into rigor can make them much tougher. I've learned that the hard way. I've had some really tough meat when I bone them hot.
Bear and wolf problems abound but so far I've been lucky.

Agree 100% ,

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes.

I will use tie down straps to elevate the quarters in trees.

I also leave whatever clothes I can spare, especially hats, surrounding the quarters for scent.

I leave the carcass and guts away from the good meat, so they can get something. In bear country I keep everything inside the scent zone.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Yes.

I will use tie down straps to elevate the quarters in trees.

I also leave whatever clothes I can spare, especially hats, surrounding the quarters for scent.

I leave the carcass and guts away from the good meat, so they can get something. In bear country I keep everything inside the scent zone.

Some guys will pee around the carcass. However, stand hunters often say they can pee off the stand it won't affect the deer at all so I don't know if helps. I guess it can't hurt anyway. You have to pee somewhere so around the elk is as good a place as any.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always had bears more interested in the gut pile, but one time a bear stole a hanging quarter from a tree. There was snow at the time so it was easy to follow the tracks of the thief. I found the quarter after a couple hundred yards. The meat had a perfect dental impression of the bears mouth and teeth pressed/melted into the frozen quarter. Could have made a bear denture from it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
What is the cost to rent Llama's for a pack trip?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I killed a nice bull on my 2017 hunt, out in a high Colorado alpine basin, far from any trees. I took the quarters off, intending to come back in the morning with my llamas. Wife sez "I've seen some bear sign, you better move those quarters down so you can hang them. I say naw, no need, they wont come and if they do they'll go for the gut pile. Wrong. At least two bears came in, didn't touch the gut pile, and dragged one front and one hind two hundred yards, ate an estimated 30 pounds of meat, and tore hell out of two of my new TAG bags. Yep, lesson learned.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Reloder28
What is the cost to rent Llama's for a pack trip?

I get $50/day or $300/ten days Most are higher, some much so.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have heard the same thing about urine.

But human head hair holds a lot of scent...that's why I leave hats.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Way to go fella, good on the elk and making it happen.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just saw this. Congratulations Rock Chuck. I never knew. Very informative thank you.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.