Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone using 45acp small primer brass that can give your thoughts, opinions, and feedback on using this brass vs the large primer brass? I also shoot 9mm and 38spec/357mag and looking to see if I can streamline/reduce my reloading logistics by only have to stocking one primer: small pistol primers. Has anyone thought about this or tried it? Thanks for your feedback!

BP-B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
People who collect spent brass at ranges for reloading hate it. It means you have to sort it out before reloading.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Any time I run across 45ACP brass with small primer pockets, I crush it and throw it away, then sit and fume for awhile about what I would say to the manufacturer in a nice long letter explaining the genealogy of how they came to be so stupid!

I guess if I didn't have an adequate supply of primers, I might worry more about the logistics of supply. But I still hate it when I miss one of the small primer pockets and try to stick a large primer in it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The_Real_Hawkeye and Allen917,

Yes, I hear you regarding sp primer in 45acp. I currently have large primer 45acp brass on hand and hate it when a small primer brass gets by me as well. Having said that I'm debating whether to make the switch for logistic reason for two reason. One, 45acp large primer brass is a little hard to find but suppliers often have the small primer version available at same price as their larger. Second, I feel like a Star-Trek borg encounter regarding the small primer 45acp. In that resistance is futile as I think manufacturers will slowly phase-in small primer 45acp due to the "lead" disguise.

Is there a performance hindrance moving to small pistol primer vs large?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leomort

Yes, I hear you regarding sp primer in 45acp. I currently have large primer 45acp brass on hand and hate it when a small primer brass gets by me as well. Having said that I'm debating whether to make the switch for logistic reason for two reason. One, 45acp large primer brass is a little hard to find but suppliers often have the small primer version available at same price as thehir larger. Second, I feel like a Star-Trek borg encounter regarding the small primer 45acp. In that resistance is futile as I think manufacturers will slowly phase-in small primer 45acp due to the "lead" disguise.

Starline makes really nice LP 45acp brass for a good price. So availability isn’t a problem.
They are definitely a pain in the ass to sort.
Is there a performance difference? Not that I have ever noticed, and in my opinion a large primer is not needed for the powder charge in the 45ACP. Why the Large primer was used in the first place I don’t know.
After having collected a hundred SP brass as range pickups I did a little testing.
100 SP using 200 gr hardcasts, 7.8 grs. AA5, CCI standard.
100 LP using same bullet, powder and CCI standard.
Just mixed em in a baggie and fired them off. As above I never noticed a difference since I loaded by just grabbing from the bag. Not my favored brass since I have a lifetime supply of LP brass.

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
lSwifty52,

I'm a fan of Starline Brass BUT;

With 45 acp loaded ammo down to 26 cents a round/shipped (black friday/cyber monday & we will see if the price holds) it makes more sense to buy loaded ammo for brass (YMMV).

FMJ bullets in bulk 13 cents each
Primer 3+cents each
Powder 2- 3 cents each (highly dependent upon quantity and what powder)

Then it is 7 to 8 cents per piece of brass.

Starline 45 acp brass is 16.45 cents per piece ($164.50/1,000)

So is CCI 'Blazer' the only small primered 45 acp brass?

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by leomort

Yes, I hear you regarding sp primer in 45acp. I currently have large primer 45acp brass on hand and hate it when a small primer brass gets by me as well. Having said that I'm debating whether to make the switch for logistic reason for two reason. One, 45acp large primer brass is a little hard to find but suppliers often have the small primer version available at same price as thehir larger. Second, I feel like a Star-Trek borg encounter regarding the small primer 45acp. In that resistance is futile as I think manufacturers will slowly phase-in small primer 45acp due to the "lead" disguise.

Starline makes really nice LP 45acp brass for a good price. So availability isn’t a problem.
They are definitely a pain in the ass to sort.
Is there a performance difference? Not that I have ever noticed, and in my opinion a large primer is not needed for the powder charge in the 45ACP. Why the Large primer was used in the first place I don’t know.
After having collected a hundred SP brass as range pickups I did a little testing.
100 SP using 200 gr hardcasts, 7.8 grs. AA5, CCI standard.
100 LP using same bullet, powder and CCI standard.
Just mixed em in a baggie and fired them off. As above I never noticed a difference since I loaded by just grabbing from the bag.Not my favored brass since I have a lifetime supply of LP brass.

That's me too with a lifetime supply of surplus military 45 brass. And you are correct that there isn't any performance difference that I have been able to notice between large and small cases. But my 45 ACP loading get up is set up for LG pistol primers like God intended and I hate to change it. laugh

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The small primer is an indication that it is non-toxic (no heavy metals).

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So is CCI 'Blazer' the only small primered 45 acp brass?

No, my range brass has been Federal, CCI, some WW. Mostly Federal.

Swifty
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I believe all Federal 45acp brass is now sp primer? I think I heard the Winchester NT , which stand for non toxic, is also sp primer?

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
It is made for range ammo

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For a hundred years, you could reload 45 ACP brass and never give primer pockets a second thought. Then some asswipe decides they can save a few bucks by using small primers instead of large ones. I hope his richard falls off the shower.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I'm with Sarge on that one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
People who collect spent brass at ranges for reloading hate it. It means you have to sort it out before reloading.

It is garbage to me and goes into brass recycling bag.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That crap jams up my progressive loader.....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SargeMO
For a hundred years, you could reload 45 ACP brass and never give primer pockets a second thought. Then some asswipe decides they can save a few bucks by using small primers instead of large ones. I hope his richard falls off the shower.

The 45ACP was actually introduced in 1905, so more like 113 years. 😀
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/45_Auto_Cartridge_History.htm

Now, after the official introduction in 1905 by Winchester Repeating Arms Co. & Colt Mfg. Co. of the .45 AC together with the Colt model 1905, the folks at Frankford Arsenal began to activate matters, starting and trying to better up the existing round. They ended up with a slightly modified .45 cartridge with a longer case and heavier copper-nickel jacket bullet of 230 grains, named “Cal. .45 Automatic Pistol Ball Cartridge Model of 1906”

Last edited by Swifty52; 11/30/18.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unfortunately, I bought a case of Blazer Brass. And have some normal brass.

It sucks

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Yep. I hate having to sort it. But I've gotten pretty good at it. I don't throw it away, and I haven't reloaded any of it yet. But if at some point I run out of the normal stuff, it'll be here for my use in whatever amount I have collected. Can't imagine it will make any measurable difference.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
548 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.