Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
I don’t generally post about trips as I/we don’t approach it how most people do, nor do we hunt like most. A lot of times hunts are half testing/half hunting, or at least a portion of it involves things other than pure hunting. Typically we need terrible weather, terrible terrain, hard to find animals.

The backstory....

We do an annual backpack hunt every year with a couple of friends. Pretty much everyone lives on the east coast. Last summer (a year ago) we started talking about hunting with some people we work with. Two guys (“Yo” and “TJ”) were really interested and we planned for a Mule deer hunt. It ended up that while both planned to join last year, only TJ ended up making it. TJ hunts whitetails in the normal eastern way- tree stands, shooting houses, etc., but had never done a western backpack hunt. He is an extremely proficient shooter, in very good condition, and has done some recreational backpacking.

There were five of us that went on the second part of the trip last year (the first part was Colorado elk)- myself, RC, OC, TG, and TJ. Other than I, everyone else has limited backpack “hunting” experience.

RC is a early 30’s female, and has never hunted or shot before a couple years ago.

OC is early 60’s friend that shoots quite a bit competitively, with a solid fitness level.

TG, is a early 30’s coworker. He had never backpack hunted out west, but his fitness and field shooting ability is very high.

TJ, is in his late 30’s early 40’s. He is in an organization that we work with- his shooting ability is stellar, with a high level of fitness. He had broken his ankle a few months before this years hunt, and had surgery 8 weeks to the day before we started. It felt good he said, but we did have a concern about it.

Yo, is a mid 40’s male that works with TJ. World class shooter, good fitness level, and again, hunts whitetails though not backpacking. He had almost no backpacking experience outside of work.

The hunt ended up being a 5.7 mile pack in off trail, but with mild weather for the duration.

[Linked Image]

Lows were in the low 30’s, highs up to mid 60’s. TJ packed in more weight than needed, but was able to kill his first mule deer after a half mile or so stalk, shooting the buck while it was bedded with a 223 at just under 200 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

TG also killed his first mule deer on the last day after chasing him the entire week with my 6.5 Grendel that mtnboomer did his stock magic on.

[Linked Image]

When we hiked out, we packed out two bone in bucks, the two heads, neck meat, rib meat, etc. and one hide as TG wanted to get it tanned.
Every pack was over a measured 80lbs except RC’s, who’s was right at 75lbs. TG’s and TJ’s packs were well over 100lbs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

RC carrying 75lbs with all her own gear and part of the meat was a big deal for her, as it was only her second season/backpack hunt. The first year was a cow elk and deer hunt, where she killed her first animal ever. That year she was only able to carry around 45lbs, and worked the entire year to get her strength up to be able to carry all her own gear, plus animal. We don’t hunt “easy” and she did it in spades.

The whole process lit a fire in TJ and he was hooked. He ended up talking non-stop to “Yo” about it, and the planning for this years hunt started before last years was even over.....

To be cont.......

Last edited by Formidilosus; 12/01/18.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool. I await your next installment.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
thanks for the pics and story, looks like a great time.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Awesome I really appreciate your posts excited for next installment; most inspiring !

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Cont....

This year it was between Antelope for a fun hunt, or elk for an hard hunt. TJ and Yo decided they wanted elk.

This years hunt would be OC, TJ, Yo, and myself. RC and TG couldn’t make it do to work. TJ and Yo spent the summer hiking, shooting their hunting rifles and getting gear together. Both researched the area, learned what they could about elk hunting, and experimented with different gear.

Eventually we arrive at the time: the plan was for me to I drive up from my house, picking TJ and Yo up Thursday at the airport and meet OC at the trailhead that afternoon. However, OC was delayed due to a family issue for two days. He would meet us at the trailhead on Saturday.

After I picked them up we we decided to go to the trailhead that afternoon, hike up the ridge to glass for a bit, then come back down and camp at the truck that night.

[Linked Image]

We didn’t see anything but a group of Mule Deer feeding up and over a saddle about a mile away, but even this relatively short jaunt showed a bit of altitude issues.

Once it got dark we headed back down, and once back at the truck we decided not to setup the tipi as we were just going to break it down tomorrow and hit the trail to get to a ridge to try and locate elk by the time OC arrived.

[Linked Image]

The temp was only going to be mid 30’s and Yo had a Sierra Designs 20 degree down bag. Waking up in the morning, turns out he froze all night getting only an hour or two of sleep. Now to go back a bit, he was extremely nervous about being cold, as he doesn’t really do things in true cold weather, nor is he extremely comfortable backpacking in it. This was his biggest concern for the hunt. So the first night of him freezing really started to make him worry.

When we woke up before daylight he said he was freezing and just started to fall asleep, so I told them to go back to sleep and we’ll move after the sun comes up. I had a 19 hour drive to pick them up, and only had about 3 hours of sleep in the last two days leading up to it, so I could use the sleep as well.

Once the sun came up and hit Yo, he got warmed up enough to start moving. After trash talking him for not getting in the truck and turning the heater on- his response was “I didn’t want y’all to think I was a pssy”. This lead to the first lesson on gear with an explanation of how bags are “rated”. We switched out his bag for my Kifaru Slick 0 degree bag and Gore-Tex bivy, packed up and headed down the trail.

Enter the first learning point- sleeping bag ratings are generally not “comfort” ratings. The rating can, and are all over the map. Most are “survival” ratings, not comfort. To be comfortable most seem to need to use the EN “Comfort Rating”.

The ridge we wanted to get to was around 1.5 mile down a trail with a few half frozen creek crossings.

[Linked Image]

And then right at 1,000 vertical feet up. We arrived at the glassing spot around 9am, while it lightly snowed off and on. The wind was pretty decent at about 10-15 MPH. Got to the glassing point, put on puff suits even though it was only in the mid to high 30’s, fired up the Jetboils and started glassing.

Probably shouldn’t put aluminum mugs randomly in your bag....

[Linked Image]

Mid afternoon, the sun came out, and it warmed up to the mid 40’s. Yo was feeling a bit of altitude sickness and we had planned on there being snow up top for us to boil for water but it was dry as a bone, so around lunch time I made a water trip taking all the Nalgenes, dropping the 1,100 feet and back up in about an hour or so.

The best part of spot and stalk hunting....

Napping-

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cont.....

Last edited by Formidilosus; 11/30/18.
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Cont....

All day the weather came and went. Blowing snow, sunshine, a bit of hail, then the sun would pop out. Every time the snow would blow in, Yo would say “hey bro, why don’t we build a fire?” TJ and I kept messing with him and saying you can’t as it will scare all the elk. Really I just wanted him to figure out his clothing system, and learn to trust it.

By the time dark hit, it was below freezing, and the wind had picked up to over 20mph.

[Linked Image]

We moved over to the backside of the ridge to setup the tipi. Found a decent place out of the wind mostly, threw the 4 man SO tipi up and started a fire.

This made Yo quite happy.
[Linked Image]

It was at this point that I realized that in sleeping at the truck and fixing Yo up with my extra bag, I had left my quilt in the front seat of the truck where I put it so I wouldn’t forget it. Tonight wouldn’t be the best sleep ever. Grin.

Enter the second learning point- once gear is packed, do not switch and use vital gear without a quick layout afterwards. Also, having insulating layers separate from the sleeping system and an emergency bivy/blanket can be quite important. We all carry an “emergency bag” with certain items such as an emergency blanket, fuel, lighters, signaling gear, snickers, tourniquet, etc., and no one has ever had to get into it before. To the point where some started asking if we really to need to carry it. Yes, you do. I have never forgotten a major piece of equipment before, but it can happen. Carry enough to get through a night.

We ate and went to sleep. I slept on my sleeping pad wearing my puff suit and inside a SOL emergency bivy. I was quite warm, but of course when I woke up a few hours later, the outside of my clothes were completely drenched in sweat with about a 1/4 inch of water/sweat was in the bottom of the bivy. Pulled that off of me and was generally pretty cold the rest of the night.

The next morning we woke up to frozen ground and headed over to glass. About an hour after sunrise I spotted a herd of twenty-eight elk with several small bulls in it, leaving the tree line about two miles away and heading up and over the ridge.

[Linked Image]Yep

We watched for a while to see if they came back once they fed over, but after an hour or so we hadn’t seen them again and figured they had bedded down. We had to meet OC in a couple of hours, so we would go out to meet him, grab lunch and my quilt, repack and head across the valley to be below the elk that afternoon.

We popped back over the ridge, and broke down the tipi. While shouldering my pack, I grabbed the quick release on the gun-bearer, and the rifle slammed down on the frozen ground from shoulder height with the scope taking the full impact. I looked at TJ and Yo and said “it’s fine I’m sure, but we’ll check it when we go out today”.

[Linked Image]

With that we went back around to the glassing spot where Yo spotted some elk about a mile to the left of the initial herd. There were just shy of fifty elk, but no bulls we could see.

[Linked Image]

We marked where they were on the map, and headed back down to the trailhead to meet OC.

[Linked Image]

To be cont......

Last edited by Formidilosus; 11/30/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We are waiting smile

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Enjoying your story and pictures. I will be watching for future updates.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks for sharing.

Every season I ask myself whether I really need to keep the SOL bivy in my bag. Guess I’ll keep it around. My reason for keeping it is in the event of falling, breaking a leg or otherwise unable to move on a cold day.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
This is hunting as its meant to be. Reminds me of my younger days:) Very, very well done and great information.
Thx, R

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Very cool so far,,,,,

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I don’t generally post about trips as I/we don’t approach it how most people do, nor do we hunt like most.

A lot of us have been have been hunting this way for decades... maybe you should post down at the backpack hunting forum.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Looking forward to the next installment.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F

When we got back to the trailhead OC was waiting. He had driven the 39 hours without sleeping after a couple of stressful days and was feeling it. We showed him the pictures of the elk and discussed our thoughts for the plan. He agreed, and on the way out we found a safe spot to check my zero on a 1.2’ish MOA rock at 780 yards. It hit the left edge.

Enter third learning point- rifle systems and scopes should stay zeroed even through abuse. Scopes are a aiming devices and they must maintain POA/POI.

So we all went into town, ate lunch, picked up a couple of supplies and drove back to the trailhead. After packing, and parking the vehicles it was around 3:30 when we stepped off. By the map it should be 4.5 miles to where we figured to setup camp, with 3 of those miles on the trail- the last 1.5 miles would be mostly “up”.

[Linked Image]

We made decent, but not great time with OC and Yo both feeling a bit beat down, stopping for dinner where we left the trail. By the time we hit the planned spot to setup camp it was 11pm. We had hiked pretty hard for 7 hours and everyone was ready for bed. We pitched both tipis and fell asleep.

The plan was to be up at daybreak and move up the finger ridge we were on, to glass across to the big ridge that the elk had been feeding on. Imagine a 11k foot ridgeline running left to right with some spurs and draws coming off of it, a very steep valley separating that big ridge from the smaller fingers, and both being hidden from the trail or prying eyes by the terrain.

The alarm went off way too early for me, and I rolled over and asked OC if he was ready. I got a “I feel like hell” response. Yo said he was a bit sick. I told everyone to go back to sleep, and we’d get up when it broke light a couple hours later. There wasn’t any use hiking up the ridge in the dark when none of us had ever been there anyways.
After day break we started stirring, noticing that it was snowing decently. I grabbed the spotter and went outside to glass what I could while everyone got up. The guys were feeling much better with a bit of sleep and some food and coffee, and were smack talking back and forth when I glassed a couple of bulls across the valley feeding in a meadow 1,200 yards or so away. The dudes were being pretty loud so I hissed at them to “shut the fugg up. I got a couple of bulls”. One of them said “what?”, and I said y’all get your chit ready right now, we have 5 or 6 legal bulls across the valley. I kept the spotter on them, while everyone hurriedly got packed. 4-5 minutes later someone came out and I talked them on to the elk, with them watching while I grabbed my gear.

[Linked Image]

Once everyone got eyes on the bulls we discussed how to do the stalk. The valley that separated us from the elk was way too steep to cross in a timely manner, with TJ pointing out the only option to go up the spur we were on, as it looked like if we got straight across from them they would be in range. Yo and I took off, while OC was getting his pack settled with TJ staying with him. We crossed the few hundred meters of the meadow into the wood line and my calves were cramping a bit- probably from mild dehydration. I stopped and worked them out while letting the other two catch up. When they got there we made sure that everyone knew the plan, and we started climbing.

The only OC and I had elk tags. Yo and TJ had deer tags. Usually the way we work it is the person who spots the animal gets first choice at it. However, most of the time I don’t shoot anything until everyone else has had a chance. But, this time I told OC that I wasn’t going to wait for him- as soon as I had a shot I was going to kill one of the bulls. He looked at me like “duh” and said “kill the big bastard”.

We were climbing the spine of the spur we were on, with it dropping off pretty quick on our left and right. After 400- 600 feet of vertical we broke through the timber and hit the open area where we thought we would be able to see the elk. Just a bit higher and we spotted them through the falling snow.
We had two types of binocular rangefinders we were testing- the Nikon Laserforce and a European one that isn’t available in the US. OC and TJ had the Nikons and I had the Euros. Yo had Swaro EL ranges. Mine had been acting a bit cantankerous the second morning but I had switched batteries and it seemed to cure it. Now, they wouldn’t hardly range at all in the cold, and when they did only to about 200m. I couldn’t get a range on the bulls at all. There was a large rock about 50m above us that wrapped around the ridge that we climbed up to and I thought it might offer some concealment to get a bit closer. Once we got to the rock, my binos wouldn’t range the elk, but Yo said “666”. I said “are you sure?” So he tried to range again, but the snow had started falling a bit harder and he couldn’t be positive of the range, and I got a range of nearly 800.

We moved across the open meadow, directly across from the bulls, but it was obvious that they would spot us before we got any closer. Going down wasn’t an option. We would have needed climbing gear. So we backtracked around the rock, to the backside of the ridge, updated OC and TJ that we can’t move across here, but we’ll stay on this side and move alone the ridge top, which should put us directly across from them. OC asked “can’t shoot from here?” I said no, we can’t get a solid range, and the wind is whipping pretty good. I also told TJ to be ready; I might need his binos.

We moved another 100 yards across the spine of the ridge, peaking over a couple of times to check that the elk were still there, as I was pretty sure one of them had noticed us. When we finally got to a small saddle, the bulls were stacked in a line moving up the opposing hillside. I asked matt for the binos, and ranged right in the middle of them. “Under 700” I whispered to the guys. I moved back a few feet to be out of view of bulls, dropped my pack, popped the tripod up with the spotter, pulled the weather meter out to get a wind speed, and started donning my puff suit. I said “we’ll crawl up over to where we can clear the grass and get a prone shot”. “Yo, you’re on the spotter for me, TJ you’re with OC, pick out a bull, run the rangefinder for him and as soon as my bull is down, OC you shoot”. Yo, and I will spot if we can”.

“Suite up as we may have to wait a while for the snow to clear out”.
[Linked Image]

It was snowing hard enough that we could only catch glimpses every once and a while of the opposite hill. Once they were ready, we crawled up the 10-12m to the ridgetop and found a spot to shoot from. Yo, set the tripod up and I started trying to figure out which to shoot. I range them again and told OC to set his turret for 650 as that was the closet elk.

There were 7 bulls, none were monsters, but all legal. They were 4x4’s and 5x5’s. Two looked to be the biggest- one was bedded and had a wider spread, the other was standing and looked to have a bit longer main beams but was narrower. YO, TJ, and myself all discussed for a minute which one. With the snow falling, I couldn’t get a great look at them through the 30x Meopta spotter. I’m a sucker for shooting things while they sleep, so I chose the bedded one. I let everyone know which one, told OC and TJ to pick the bottom bull after mine was down.

I ranges the bull with the Swaros at 666, and TJ confirmed. Yo, got on the spotter, found the elk, and started asking about wind. I dialed 4.1 mils elevation, got the pack situated to rest on, places a spare Mag beside the rifle, and checked the wind again. We had a 8-12mph right to left where we were, and because of the falling snow with the spotter we could see that right in the middle of the valley it switched 90 degrees and was left to right at about the same speed from there to the bull. The bull was nearly broadside facing to our right, so I told Yo that the average wind call should be “either center, or right .2 on a pickup” and “center will be splitting the crease on the ribs”. Yo replied “got it”. “Ready”.

To be cont....

Last edited by Formidilosus; 12/02/18.
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Brad
I don’t generally post about trips as I/we don’t approach it how most people do, nor do we hunt like most.

A lot of us have been have been hunting this way for decades... maybe you should post down at the backpack hunting forum.

Grin. I’m not talking about backpack hunting..... I mean more like “we could go around, but we need to work on climbing..... so get the gear out- we’re going up”.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
I put in my ear plugs, got on the gun, told Yo, “ready”. He said “center” and the shot broke. I saw the impact hit right .1 mil of the aim point, Yo said “hit”, the bull stood up and was nearly broadside, I immediately sent another into the ribs as I spotted my first impact. The second shot hit .2 left in the lungs. The bull stumbled back a step, and quartered away and started sinking. I held right .2 and shot again. At that shot the bull started going down, and I reloaded the second mag. He was hard quartering to us kind of sliding down the hill but his head was still up, and I put the reticle center of his neck, and held right .2. He collapsed at the shot. Yo said sarcastically- “you can stop shooting now.... he was dead on the first shot”.

I stayed on the bull for another second, but it was obvious he was down, and TJ said “OC, bottom right bull, 650”. OC confirmed which one, Yo said “got it OC, center when you’re ready”. OC fired, and it went high and left by nearly 2 mils. The bull trotted up the hill, TJ said “670”, and both Yo and I said “down 1.5, right .5”. OC, chambered another round, and fired. It was a wild miss. At that the elk went up and over the ridge, without stopping.

As soon as they were gone, OC said “fck!”. We asked “what?”, and he informed us that he had his big gloves on and when he chambered the second round, he couldn’t feel the trigger and it fired before he was ready.

After that, we discussed what happened on OC’s first shot. He stated “I mean I guess it was me, but it looked good when it went off, and there is no way I pulled it two full mils”. I agreed with him. I’ve seen him shoot probably 100k rounds in my life in some really messed up situations, and I’ve never seen him jerk a shot that bad. There was nothing obviously wrong with the rifle, and he has a solid system, so we decided that he would shoot mine if he got another chance until we could check his rifle.

We had a couple minute conversation with Yo again saying that it was dead on the first shot. I explained the above, and Yo said “man, I work the bolt, but every deer I have killed has dropped at the shot”. I asked if he had ever missed, and he said “bro, no”..... “Well, you might want to be ready, because one day you will....”

A quick peek through the spotter confirmed we were good...
[Linked Image]

Yo was pretty excited
[Linked Image]

Within 5 minutes the snow started coming down hard again, and the wind picked way up. We moved down the backside of the ridge to get out of the wind to eat breakfast/lunch.

French press coffee is pretty good in a snow storm....
[Linked Image]

Third and fourth learning points

Rapid bolt manipulation:

If the animal is still up and/or alive, keep shooting. It doesn’t matter if it’s a 223 or a 338 mag- if the animal isn’t completely down, keep shooting or eventually you will lose an animal. Be able to spot your own hits/misses, immediately run the bolt after follow through, and be prepared to shoot again.
In hunting and depredation/culling several hundred animals, almost all the animals I’ve seen get away have been because dudes want to shoot and then admire their work over the scope/look through binos/pat themselves on the back sometimes even dropping the rifle down without rechambering, just standing there waiting for the animal to go down. Then, even if it dropped at the shot, it gets back up and runs out of sight with the shooter standing there confused.

Learn to shoot very accurately and very quickly, and keep shooting until they are down and dead. This bull didn’t need a second shot- I watched the bullet hit and saw the splash of dirt after it exited. Had I waited he would have fallen over inside of 10 seconds. The first shot went between ribs, hit the top of the heart, and exited the offside shoulder/leg joint leaving an inch and a half exit hole. Doesn’t matter- keep shooting.

Light triggers, thick gloves, and stress do not mix.

Pull off gloves before shooting. If someone is extremely practiced to chamber and fire quickly without thick gloves- they are extremely vulnerable to having an ND due to the gloves hitting the trigger before their finger under stress and at speed. OC knew this: he watched it happen to a ridiculously trained and capable person a few years back on a 180+ inch mule deer. Yet he, like most people do not want to learn from others mistakes and adjust, instead just saying “it works for me” until it bites them on the butt.

To be cont....

Last edited by Formidilosus; 12/03/18.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good story, photos, and a very good experience for all. A little envious! For those of us that can’t, don’t, or won’t......we could use more stories like this! Thanks. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good deal. Nice writeup.

I never shoot with gloves on, even thin gloves. I just can't get used to it.

One other thing I have done and seen others do when a critter is in front of them and their adrenalin is up, is have their sleeve cuff catch the trigger as they slam the bolt down and move their hand back toward the grip. BOOM.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fantastic!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The most important tidbit; always pack a way to make a quality cup of coffee! I went with a Hario v60 pour over this year.

Edit: a mug that is lightweight, won’t bend and is insulated to keep the joe warm is a must.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prm; 12/04/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As stated, keep driving rounds into an animal until down. But, NOT wildly throwing rounds. If you’re alone and behind a large magnum, depending on the yardage, you may or may not recover to see actual impact. You might hear a “smack” indicating a hit. Rely on what you’re seeing the animal doing in your scope after the first shot if you can’t tell impacts.

A lurch, humped up with head down, stationary but wobbling, or down with head up moving about...These are all a good situation to send another one into him...Don’t get rattled and start changing your POA. You likely made a good hit with your first shot. Otherwise you wouldn’t see these behaviors...😎

Last edited by Beaver10; 12/04/18.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of my pards had this setup for elk hunting. It’s on my Christmas list for the wife...😎

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by prm
The most important tidbit; always pack a way to make a quality cup of coffee! I went with a Hario v60 pour over this year.

Edit: a mug that is lightweight, won’t bend and is insulated to keep the joe warm is a must.

[Linked Image]

Dang, that's some steep country......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
After about 30 minutes the snow slowed a bit and we rucked up, and started picking out way down the ridge across from the bull. It was quite steep, and some of it was done sliding on out butts, and some reverse climbing.

The least steep portion
[Linked Image]

Once at the bottom we paused to refill water in a small stream and find a place to climb up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was a virtual cliff up the other side for several hundred feet. After filling up water, they waited while I moved up and down the gorge trying to see if there was a way up. I finally found what I though would be a route up it, but it would be climbing... not hiking. Everyone got their packs on and up we started. There was enough snow on the rock face that you could kick in foot holds and climb up. It was hands and feet the whole way, with several questionable spots even by our standards.

[Linked Image]

No one said a word until we got out of the cliff 30-40 minutes later. At the top only OC said “that was sporty.... let’s not do it agin”. I asked Yo how he was and he only replied with “fugg that”. TJ said his ankle was holding up ok.

The general consensus-
[Linked Image]

Once we got above the rocks, we got the trees and above that the snow started again, though not super heavy this time. We initially came up with TJ and Yo saying they thought the bull was to the right, and OC and myself thinking it’s to the left. So TJ and Yo went to the right, OC to the left, and I went up the middle. From left to right we were only 100-150 yards apart in the open, but the hill curved around so tight and it was so steep that we could see each other without someone in the middle. After 3-4 minutes of climbing and looking I spotted the bull above OC and called the others over.

Walking up to him you could see two exit holes in the chest, one being the aforementioned first shot through the off leg. The second being the broadside second shot.

[Linked Image]

This was the first elk TJ and Yo had even seen up close, let alone killed. Both were pretty darn excited but it didn’t taken long for Yo to notice that elk are big suckers. After a minute of checking him out he goes- “bro, this things coming out on our backs....”. Haha. Yes, yes it is.

To be cont.....

Last edited by Formidilosus; 12/04/18.
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Beaver10
As stated, keep driving rounds into an animal until down. But, NOT wildly throwing rounds. If you’re alone and behind a large magnum, depending on the yardage, you may or may not recover to see actual impact. You might hear a “smack” indicating a hit. Rely on what you’re seeing the animal doing in your scope after the first shot if you can’t tell impacts.

A lurch, humped up with head down, stationary but wobbling, or down with head up moving about...These are all a good situation to send another one into him...Don’t get rattled and start changing your POA. You likely made a good hit with your first shot. Otherwise you wouldn’t see these behaviors...😎

I think your talking me out of using magnums......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bro, I always scream out first; “300 RUM coming at yah bitches”, and all my furs just fall over...Grin
Sweet hunt you took “YO” on. He’s hooked deep on slaying the Wapiti forever. Cont...😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad

Form's hunting "stories" always involve feats of physical endurance that mere mortals could not accomplish, a rifle that should have been annihilated (but miraculously survived), and ingenious tactics that reinvent the wheel.

This one is much less suspenseful than the one where he dropped his rifle off a cliff and was running up ridges to kill elk, but its interesting none the less. I'm not sure how many times you would have to drop a rifle on frozen ground to get a big glob of dirt stuck to it for the photo op, but I image its not easy.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by bellydeep
[quote=Brad]
Form's hunting "stories" always involve feats of physical endurance that mere mortals could not accomplish, a rifle that should have been annihilated (but miraculously survived), and ingenious tactics that reinvent the wheel.

Yep. That’s it. 👍🏻

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bellydeep
[quote=Brad]

Yep. That’s it. 👍🏻

Glad you have a sense of humor about it Form. I greatly appreciate all of your R&D on scopes/mounting systems.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm always impressed by the number of pictures and words. I seem to have a good adventure or two on the regular, but to document it all in this level of detail is astounding if nothing else. I like a guy who looks at the same thing I've been looking at from a different perspective, it's a net positive for general savvy.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
I'm always impressed by the number of pictures and words. I seem to have a good adventure or two on the regular, but to document it all in this level of detail is astounding if nothing else. I like a guy who looks at the same thing I've been looking at from a different perspective, it's a net positive for general savvy.

Well as I said it’s not just “hunting”. Can’t go back to work and say “we climbed a mountain, it was hard”. “I carried this pack, it was great”. The pictures and most of the details have to be written down anyways, so adding a bit to make it a story versus a clinical report isn’t that much work.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Well as I said it’s not just “hunting”. Can’t go back to work and say “we climbed a mountain, it was hard”. “I carried this pack, it was great”. The pictures and most of the details have to be written down anyways, so adding a bit to make it a story versus a clinical report isn’t that much work.

I like it! Good content is sparse around here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Of the hunting variety, I agree!!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A lot of us have been doing this for years. Post in the backpack forum. grin grin grin

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I was thinking the elk forum. But, they did use a rifle, so the rifle forum would work too. Oh wait, the truck forum, as I do recall a truck being used for transportation. But posting a big game hunt in the General Big Game forum? Crazy. grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Agreed, enjoyable read and unbelievable that they did it all while wearing those black blindfolds!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Anyone too good to learn is a goon. Someone who shares what he knows is a teammate. Cool report Formi, thank you.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I love reading about anybody's adventures, Form's included. Can't wait for the rest of the story on this one.

Maybe when Form retires, he'll tell us where he actually works so we can put his knowledge in context. grin There's no doubt he knows his [bleep] and the knowledge is hard won. I for one am glad he shares it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Well don’t leave us hanging, would like to hear the rest of the story too.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Hmmm written in a report. So you're testing gear? In montana...hmmm. Not that you'll answer (or could), but I get the feeling you're apart a of Cool Application Group.....if you get my drift

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 12/28/18.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I was always under the evidently mistaken impression hunting in icy cold, steep country without sleep for a few days was a recipe for disaster which could only be made more rediculous by sipping whiskey to warm one up. My mistake. Carry on.

Great pics and scenery in the thread, so thanks for it.

I only hope stories like this dont impel some mortal man to die attempting a similar type type super human feat.

Last edited by jaguartx; 12/29/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This stirs the imagination, feel like I'm on the hunt. Great piece of writing.

Just because I am wandering around doesn't mean I am lost.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Form I have a new found respect for you - not that I had none before, I just thought you were a shooting guru, but you’re also a badass hunter when you’re not shooting! Great story!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Good post!

I never pack booze, but I'll help drink it if someone else is foolish enough to take the weight penalty, good guy that I am.

I'm getting beyond the really good death-march stuff now (or as my brother put it on his 2nd Alaska hunt with me "Another bleep'n scouting trip?") due to age and ambition lag, but I used to get into it.

My first sheep hunt at 25 was solo, 18 miles to base, kill another 2 miles back in. Once was enough solo, but I did it the next two years in company. 2nd one was with gf, third with her as my wife on our honeymoon and a 100 lb Lab as pack dog. Her ram on our honeymoon was bigger than my two to that point. That was 40 years ago.

I have packed a number of caribou out of the mountains as far back in as 12 miles, sometimes solo, sometimes with a dog, a couple times with my wife and boys. Usually on a weekend hunt, taking Friday night off, and not due back until my swing shift Monday. Bust-ass hunting at it's best.

Just turned 70, and the last 8 years I have hunted off snow machine, ATV, or boat. Not good for physical conditioning... I noticed it elk hunting at 9,000 feet last October! Living at sea level doesn't help.

If I draw for caribou, it will be a 20 mile boat trip, and 8 mile hike up hill in August, for the 4th time, over the years. The good news is that it is all downhill back to the boat! And I have scouted the country. already.... smile

If the permit doesn't come, fall-back is a 700 mile OW road trip and 6 mile hike in for the caribou, tho I'm thinking I might start the season 18 miles back where I started on that sheep mountain for a sheep hunt, and work my way back out for caribou if the rams don't cooperate.

I too learned years ago one needs to drop the sleeping bag rating by at least 15 degrees to be warm enough to sleep well at night. 20 is better, and/or one can add an 80-100 Lab. That works too, on one side, anyway. Bag hogs, every one! Can pack out 15-20 lbs meat also.

Retired now, and time is of no consideration until meat is cooling, or the food runs out... A no time-constraint back-pack hunt is going to be a refreshing change! smile

Last edited by las; 01/10/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by las
Good post!

I never pack booze, but I'll help drink it if someone else is foolish enough to take the weight penalty, good guy that I am.

I'm getting beyond the really good death-march stuff now (or as my brother put it on his 2nd Alaska hunt with me "Another bleep'n scouting trip?") due to age and ambition lag, but I used to get into it.

My first sheep hunt at 25 was solo, 18 miles to base, kill another 2 miles back in. Once was enough solo, but I did it the next two years in company. 2nd one was with gf, third with her as my wife on our honeymoon and a 100 lb Lab as pack dog. Her ram on our honeymoon was bigger than my two to that point. That was 40 years ago.

I have packed a number of caribou out of the mountains as far back in as 12 miles, sometimes solo, sometimes with a dog, a couple times with my wife and boys. Usually on a weekend hunt, taking Friday night off, and not due back until my swing shift Monday. Bust-ass hunting at it's best.

Just turned 70, and the last 8 years I have hunted off snow machine, ATV, or boat. Not good for physical conditioning... I noticed it elk hunting at 9,000 feet last October! Living at sea level doesn't help.

If I draw for caribou, it will be a 20 mile boat trip, and 8 mile hike up hill in August, for the 4th time, over the years. The good news is that it is all downhill back to the boat! And I have scouted the country. already.... smile

If the permit doesn't come, fall-back is a 700 mile OW road trip and 6 mile hike in for the caribou, tho I'm thinking I might start the season 18 miles back where I started on that sheep mountain for a sheep hunt, and work my way back out for caribou if the rams don't cooperate.

I too learned years ago one needs to drop the sleeping bag rating by at least 15 degrees to be warm enough to sleep well at night. 20 is better, and/or one can add an 80-100 Lab. That works too, on one side, anyway. Bag hogs, every one! Can pack out 15-20 lbs meat also.

Retired now, and time is of no consideration until meat is cooling, or the food runs out... A no time-constraint back-pack hunt is going to be a refreshing change! smile

Talk about age being just a number!!! I hope I'm as able as you are at your age! Cant wait to read the story after your hunt!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Form,

What is this puffy suit made of?

Any kind of suit that will allow you to wake up in sub zero weather with 20 mile an hour winds, and still be drenched in a 1/4" of sweat, combined with just an SOL bivy is something that I should probably look into.

I have been living in the Rockies my entire life, and spent countless nights outdoors, in all manner of weather, in all seasons, so I am all ears.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

[Linked Image]

Nice work and thank you for the play-by-play....really enjoying this thread!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Very nicely written up Formidilosus. Look forward to your posts.

Same here Snowy nailed it, I’ll be taking more pictures on my future hunts for sure. Always forget about pictures in the excitement of the hunt.

Recovering Yankee
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wheres the rest of the story?

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Haha WOW....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,960 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.