Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by Hudge
I can't comment on 14-17, but I had a 2009, which was the first year for that body style. The truck has the 5.7L Hemi in it, and it has proven to be a great motor. The only issue was a front differential leak, and then the wiring for the 4WD became corroded and had to be replaced back in March. My son has been driving the truck for 2 years now, and it still keeps on going. He has replaced wheel bearings and tie rod ends, but with over 130K miles that's understandable. My only advice is when you replace the plugs, replace the coils at the same time as well. I know my truck still calls for changing one set of plugs at 30K, both at 60K, etc. I have a friend that was a Dodge mechanic, and said to forgo that and change them all around 100K as they are platinum plugs. I changed them all out over a 1.5 years ago, when I had 95K on the truck, I should have done it around 80K, as the truck had it's old pep back once they were changed out.

Hudge - I have that same truck in the TRX-4, and it has been a stellar purchase. Aside from the normal wear and tear I haven't had any issues.

I just put it over 160k, and it will be getting its fourth set of new tires this week.

I did have some bad luck with two sets of tires, but that was just the tires and not the truck. I regret going back to a Chevy Silverado, I miss the get up adn go of the Hemi. I made a trip from Arkansas to Charleston, SC the week I bought it in July 2011, I got 21 mpg from AL to SC, and 19 mpg from AR to AL. I have made a few long trips with it in Alaska since we moved there and got 21 mpg on a couple of them. My son does not have such luck, he likes to get speeding tickets instead. Got two in two months this summer in it.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Hudge
. My only advice is when you replace the plugs, replace the coils at the same time as well. I know my truck still calls for changing one set of plugs at 30K, both at 60K, etc. I have a friend that was a Dodge mechanic, and said to forgo that and change them all around 100K as they are platinum plugs. I changed them all out over a 1.5 years ago, when I had 95K on the truck, I should have done it around 80K, as the truck had it's old pep back once they were changed out.

When I had the first few free oil changes from the dealer when I bought the truck. They suggested at the 30K mile oil change I do the plugs as well. I thought it was insane to have to do them that fast. So, I talked to one of the techs. He said pretty much the same thing. Wait until 100K or when the performance started to drop off.

I would agree with you, it was around 85K miles when that happened.

Yeah, I talked to a couple of guys that were GS's in the office with us that had the Ram w/Hemis when I was still AD Air Force, and they all said to wait until around 100K as well to change the plugs and coils out in them. I think one got to 98K, before he did his and he was happy. I had a friend that had the non-hemi, and he changed his out at the 30K intervals, as he claims the dealer told him it would void his warranty if he didn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I've got a 2010 Ram 1500 Lariat with the 5.7 and it pulls everything I need it too with ease, it's rated to 10k lbs but I would never come close to hauling that much weight. I figure the most weight I've pulled with it was probably around 4500 lbs or so, up some pretty steep hills over the years and it sure is nice to keep it at 65 when doing so. The only issues I've had so far was exhaust manifold bolts breaking off on both sides (aft bolts) and a leaking pinion seal in the rear end, the early version 4th gen Rams were known for breaking those bolts but I was unaware of it until I had already purchased my truck. Even with those issues i'm pretty happy with the rig overall but if I were to do it again, I'd get the crew cab.

Yep, I totally forgot about the manifold bolts as mine were replaced around 58K if I remember correctly. Lithia Dodge in Anchorage told me it's a known issue and Dodge refuses to change the bolts or whatever needs to be done to repair it. I'm pretty sure my son's truck needs replacing again, but I told him he's paying for it to be done this go around.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would pass on any truck with the 3.21 gears. Not enough mileage improvement for the loss of torque.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Well I'm still looking. Lots out there but no real deals on a low mileage used one coming up. The more I look at them the more I like the Big Horn package. Might as well get all the bells and whistles if you're gonna pay. I keep seeing a few eco diesels popping up, some not th st far out of budget. Any thoughts on long term reliability and value on them vs the Hemi? I'm sure they would retain value better and would get better hwy and towing mileage.

Most of what I'm seeing is around 28k before actually visiting the dealerships to talk hard numbers. Eco diesels start around 30. Trucks are just too damn expensive these days.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by aboltfan
I would pass on any truck with the 3.21 gears. Not enough mileage improvement for the loss of torque.

I think the 8 speed trans makes this a non issue. Just select 1 gear lower and it's virtually the same final drive ratios as the .392's
The 1st gear ratio is still lower than the old 6 speed with the higher gears.

We have 2 2015 ram 1500 quad cabs with the hemi engines in them. I'm currently at 27,000 miles, and the wife's truck is only at 17,000 miles ( it pays to live really close to work and lead extremely boring lives. We both love them and wouldn't change a thing.
I just pulled my friends 20 ft 1972 camp trailer (5500# )to Orofino and back for a steelhead/whitetail trip and we pulled whitebird hill at 55 MPH, I could have been going faster but I was quite happy keeping it at or above 3 miles per gallon on the ascent.
Just before we left I asked my buddy if the trailer brakes worked and he said he was told they did when he bought it. I reached down and tried the brakes and nothing nada zip.......I was quite worried about the downhill portions until Midvale hill, I just locked out everything higher than 5th gear, and the engine braking did almost all of the work. At one point I was slightly exceeding 60mph and used the brakes, but I could've done without,as I was nearly to the bottom by then.
The 8 speed trans makes all the difference in the world, I'd definitely look for one with it.And both of our trucks are bighorn packages. We have the heated seats, and steering wheel as well, it's great on the lower back after a lifetime of being a young stupid guy that thought he was invincible.

Last edited by HankMcMauser; 12/01/18.

Roughly half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Well I'm still looking. Lots out there but no real deals on a low mileage used one coming up. The more I look at them the more I like the Big Horn package. Might as well get all the bells and whistles if you're gonna pay. I keep seeing a few eco diesels popping up, some not th st far out of budget. Any thoughts on long term reliability and value on them vs the Hemi? I'm sure they would retain value better and would get better hwy and towing mileage.

Most of what I'm seeing is around 28k before actually visiting the dealerships to talk hard numbers. Eco diesels start around 30. Trucks are just too damn expensive these days.

They sure are expensive once you start adding equipment. I bought my '17 Ram 1500 in the tradesman package new with a few extras in '17 for 24K. It has the V6 but it pulls my 3500 pound boat like it's not there. I would have gone for a V8, but that's when the price really starts shooting up and I just didn't need it. On a trip from NOLA to Colorado this summer I got 26.1 MPG for the 1300 mile trip. MPG seems to drop off rapidly once above 70. Even going into a light headwind at 70 it starts dropping off. That probably has to do with the truck's aero, and you'll probably see that with the Hemi as well. Even in Tradesman trim, this truck is the quietest truck I have ever had. Consumer Reports calls it "luxury car quiet." The ride is also very compliant for a truck due to the coil spring suspension. It takes away a bit from the towing capacity, but that's a non-issue for you. At this point I like this truck better than any other truck I have owned. I thought the V6 would leave me a bit disappointed with power, but if you rode in it, you wouldn't know it had a 6 unless I told you.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
My Dodge has been a good vehicle!

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
So the question at this point is it worth a little more to get the eco diesel with more miles or stick with the Hemi and lower miles?

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad

It has the V6 but it pulls my 3500 pound boat like it's not there. I thought the V6 would leave me a bit disappointed with power, but if you rode in it, you wouldn't know it had a 6 unless I told you.

That is good to know. 3500 lbs is way more than I would tow so I'll keep that info filed away in case I ever look at the Rams.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Had a 2015 1500 eco diesel. Good for mileage but not made for towing. Towing a 21’ Crownline 215ss it would struggle very bad, and mileage would be around 15. Same with a feather lite 2 horse slant. The injectors were replaced at 43 k and the egr cooler twice before 51k. Truck went down the road for a 16 3/4 ton Highcountry w the DMax. This being the wife’s truck, I drive a 3500 Ram SRW with the 6.7 Cummins. To me the 1500 felt like a grocery getter more than a truck.

Last edited by Fullfan; 12/01/18.

Don't gobble at me
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

451 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 22kHornet, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 997 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,589
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.