Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Edwin264
They have an extremely good sense of smell, very good hearing, and their eyesight is poor. The strawberry jello mixed with corn works good as someone else mentioned.

A little yeast and sugar sets it off.
Beer or brewersyeast and fruit soda.
I jug of strawberry Tampico and molded bread with 30 lpounds of corn mixed in a bucket and dumped into a burlap bag then hung from a strong branch.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Killed this one last Saturday

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

He went into brush, finished him with 45

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by hanco
Killed this one last Saturday

[Linked Image]

He went into brush, finished him with 45

Nice cutters on that one

S
saskfox Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all the help guys. I sure hope to get one on the bbq.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Biggest pig I’ve killed so far. Look at the head on this one

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Big pig, I sure like killing them

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I just returned from a wild boar hunt in Germany. Bait is often illegal in Germany, and trapping is always illegal, so one technique that I learned there and haven't read about on this forum is to set up rubbing posts near a tree stand.

They use a very aromatic tar made from hardwood, I assume common pine tar would be OK to use here since hardwood tar is likely unavailable. Pigs like the smell, and will rub their bodies on a stump or tree trunk that has had tar applied to it. It doesn't take much, the amount used looked like a half a cup or so, and it was refreshed every couple weeks. Too much / too fresh apparently does not seem as attractive to the hogs.

Pigs in the area would visit the tar posts when they felt secure, mostly at night, and could e shot while giving themselves a rub on the stump.

Bait is allowed for hunting pigs in Saskatchewan. But tar may be a good "extra" - The tar should keep them coming even when bait may have run out. If you are going through all the trouble of setting up a stand, I'd suggest using lessons i've learned from hunting bears over bait. An ideal stand would be located down wind of the prevailing wind direction, (NW winds prevail in most of Sask, so SE of the bait site is usually best) and the approach must allow entering the stand without alarming the pigs with your sound or smell. The bait or the tar tree should be close enough for a sure shot, but not right under the stand, about 30-60 meters is good. The bait / tar tree should allow the shooter to see the target well, and should allow the pigs to approach under cover to give them the feeling of security.

The only Saskatchewan pigs I've hunted were the few I've been able to track in new fallen snow. In reasonably open country you should be able to figure out where they might be from their tracks and set up a drive or just follow quietly and try to sneak up on them.

Last edited by castnblast; 11/29/18. Reason: fixed typo
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hanco I killed that pig last year during deer season in Levita, Texas which is in Coyell county. I shot a sow and before she could stop rolling down the hill, I shot this boar. We barely got the sow on the back of that 4-wheeler. The boar, as much as we tried, we could not get loaded. Usually the way I load a pig I can’t pick up is I’ll put his ass on one of the foot boards, get behind the 4-wheeler and pull on his legs while the rack is against my hips. That way I can use the fender as a ramp to slide him up onto the rack. Then I’ll ratchet strap em down. Anyway, two of us couldn’t get him loaded so we just drug his ass off and let the buzzards have him. I estimate him to have weighed around 300.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The local country elec. co-op folks tell me they have a HUGE problem with pigs rubbing against creosote power poles. The tar helps with their tick/lice parasite load. I have seen poles on ranches that have been rubbed almost to the point of failure about thigh high from hogs.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Docbill
The local country elec. co-op folks tell me they have a HUGE problem with pigs rubbing against creosote power poles. The tar helps with their tick/lice parasite load. I have seen poles on ranches that have been rubbed almost to the point of failure about thigh high from hogs.

Yeah that’s a problem here as well. We look for the poles with the highest rubs we can find LOL! Tall pig= big SOB!

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by hanco
Big pig, I sure like killing them

I want to give one a “Texas Heart Shot” with my .338 LM

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Edwin264
Originally Posted by Docbill

Yeah that’s a problem here as well. We look for the poles with the highest rubs we can find LOL! Tall pig= big SOB!

Get a burlap feed sack or some burlap cloth. Wrap it around a tree or pole and wire it securely. Soak it with burnt motor oil. They luv to rub on it.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I need to make a rub post for the hell of it.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Just a curious question: My buddy and I live in VA and have some interest in combining a hog shoot with coyote hunting. Are there any ranches in Texas that offer the opportunity to shoot hogs during the day or whenever legal and trade off with calling coyotes at night and shooting with night vision; bring our own night vision rig? Thanks. PMs are fine if more suitable.

Last edited by ewms; 12/01/18.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
ewms:

Yes there are do a google search. Look up Dolph Brisco's ranch for starters. They like bow hunters but are so over run they may offer other options now. Tres Vaqueros has some hunts too. There are many others.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They will fix you up for a nominal fee.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,127
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.