Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bought a blood tracking light, and it flat out does not work. Tried it on a whitetail blood trail and any white flashlight did a better job of showing the blood on snow or on duff and leaves. This "blood tracking" light has a blue and a green option. Both colors made blood look black like a million other pieces of debris. The blood did not stand out and in the blue or green light when we could pick out a spot to try the light on, it looked like a pinch of dirt kicked up rather than blood. It is a heavy metal tactical looking flashlight named Police Security, a door buster special I should have left closed.

Do any of the blood tracker things work? We could have used one the other evening on the buck shot just before dark. It took a 95 grain Nosler Partition through both lungs a bit high and did not leave a drop of blood that we detected for the first 70 yards. It was piled up about 80-85 yards from where it was hit.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Some guys spray hydrogen peroxide on blood trails to make blood show up.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
H2O2 works but it requires a lot of spray to find a few drops here and there. It doesn't locate a drop. It just verifies that it's actually blood.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have tried blood lights and thermal trackers. Nothing worked as advertised. The thermal tracker failed to register the deer under it. (Tried it even though the deer was in sight).
Another possibility is the radio beacons arrow inserts. They use slide switches and activate on impact. Radio reciever is held to your belly to shield the radio reciever from the beacon. When the signal fades, the arrow is behind you. Seen it used in video, but don't know anyone with one to test it myself.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Another possibility is the radio beacons arrow inserts. They use slide switches and activate on impact. Radio reciever is held to your belly to shield the radio reciever from the beacon. When the signal fades, the arrow is behind you. Seen it used in video, but don't know anyone with one to test it myself.
Those are illegal here. Besides, the OP was rifle hunting.

― George Orwell

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A good Dog is the best if legal in your area.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have had good luck with the Primos blood light. Also the Flir. With the Flir you can see the blood for awhile.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Interesting, why illegal?

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The ones I tried did not do much of anything although these were cheap models. A regular black light bulb did better but only at night. The one thing they were useful for was finding arrows with florescent knocks, they worked great for this. Sometimes a red filter would make the blood appear white and stand out in the dark but it doesn't always work. Peoples eyes and especially color perception varies so it may work for other people.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Waste of good time, good dog is best. I shoulder shoot mine, no looking, dead right there!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kellory

Idaho doesn't allow any electronic device to be attached to bows or arrows.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tejano
The ones I tried did not do much of anything although these were cheap models. A regular black light bulb did better but only at night. The one thing they were useful for was finding arrows with florescent knocks, they worked great for this. Sometimes a red filter would make the blood appear white and stand out in the dark but it doesn't always work. Peoples eyes and especially color perception varies so it may work for other people.

That is a major point...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Idaho doesn't allow any electronic device to be attached to bows or arrows.

Again, interesting. Ohio does not allow anything that projects a beam of light to be attached to the weapon. Optical red dot is fine, laser is a poacher's weapon.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho makes a feeble attempt at keeping archery and ML seasons at least somewhat primitive. We can use compound bows but no crossbows or expanding broadheads. No electronic devices attached to bows or arrows.
For ML seasons, no inlines or scopes. Caps or flints only. No powder pellets. No sabots or jacketed bullets.

But back to the subject...just a few years ago, Idaho started allowing the use of a blood trailing dog. It must be kept on a leash and must be used only during legal hunting hours. No night time tracking.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the feedback. I had high hopes of a miracle device that would make any tiny speck of blood glow or light up for me, but alas, still gotta do it the hard way and find that speck of blood and the next one. I was thinking of the thermal device so it is good to hear how limited they are, with the technology so far anyway. As to FLIR, any warmth in a drop of blood would not last more than a second or less in the snows of the Canadian Rockies during late whitetail season.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rock chuck, Ohio has the same dog laws, with one caveat: a dog here is legally leashed, as long as he either responds promptly to voice commands, or radio collars. He does not HAVE to be in hand.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I’m color blind as hell. With that said, I haven’t lost an animal using this in the dark:

https://www.bluestar-forensic.com/gb/bluestar-kit.php

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DV_Ramrod
I’m color blind as hell. With that said, I haven’t lost an animal using this in the dark:

Interesting stuff!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Okanagan

Interesting stuff!

Tried to find a price, but could not...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bet it is hydrogen peroxide. I am tempted to try florescene dyes in combo with the peroxide but just haven't gotten around to it as most of the game I shoot drops within sight.

Last edited by Tejano; 12/03/18.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bought a tablet pack locally last year for $19.99 I believe.

Drop tablets in a spray bottle with water, mist in the direction the deer/bear went, and watch the blood glow. Neat stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Blood-Finding-Revealing-Agent/dp/B005VR4JJ0

Last edited by DV_Ramrod; 12/03/18.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I hear an old Colman gas light works great.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
A friend has a blood tracking wiener dog. She never misses.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Store it away with the cough silencer and the butt out tool and dispose of them at the next yard sale.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute
Store it away with the cough silencer and the butt out tool and dispose of them at the next yard sale.

^^This!^^ laugh

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Okanagan

Interesting stuff!

Tried to find a price, but could not...

$79.99 at this place. Kinda pricey to find one animal though I don't know how far or how many blood trails it would last.

https://www.arrowheadforensics.com/a-2534-bluestar-forensic-kit.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Luminal. Heard of folks using it, but never met someone actually using it. How expensive, and it's single use, so how long does it stay active?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I had a gerber light that was supposed to show blood--it was a gift. I tried it once and it did nothing for me; flashlight was better. Good buddy is has a K9 for local pd but he's not supposed to use it to find my lost game...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Drop tablets in a spray bottle with water, mist in the direction the deer/bear went, and watch the blood glow. Neat stuff.

Assuming there are enough blood drops for it to work on. Many deer will only leave a drop here and there. It would take gallons of the stuff sprayed all over the ground to find them. Any kind of spray is most useful for identifying SUSPECTED drops of blood, not for finding them.
I shot an elk last week with a lung shot a bit high. It didn't go anywhere but it didn't bleed out of either hole a bit. It walked about 5 yards in snow and went down leaving not a drop in the snow. If it had run a ways, there would be no blood trail to follow.

― George Orwell

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had an uncle by marriage in the family that was half Indian, he taught me how to shoot a rifle , how to walk silent in the woods, and how to track game without any blood. I have found many deer that left no blood trail that I and others have shot. If you know what to look for it is easy and never fails. I tried teaching my older son but he never had the patience to learn.. I am now too old to do it anymore, teach that is. LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hubert
I had an uncle by marriage in the family that was half Indian, he taught me how to shoot a rifle , how to walk silent in the woods, and how to track game without any blood. I have found many deer that left no blood trail that I and others have shot. If you know what to look for it is easy and never fails. I tried teaching my older son but he never had the patience to learn.. I am now too old to do it anymore, teach that is. LOL

Agreed. Read my signature line.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well, near as I can tell, you should have bought Rudolph, the keen nose Weasel dog (dachshund).... who would also dive under your covers in the morning when he wants you to get up , and chew on your toes. They work.

Trust me.... at least to the getting up part. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Luminal. Heard of folks using it, but never met someone actually using it. How expensive, and it's single use, so how long does it stay active?

It glows for a good 4-6 hours.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Assuming there are enough blood drops for it to work on. Many deer will only leave a drop here and there. It would take gallons of the stuff sprayed all over the ground to find them. Any kind of spray is most useful for identifying SUSPECTED drops of blood, not for finding them.
I shot an elk last week with a lung shot a bit high. It didn't go anywhere but it didn't bleed out of either hole a bit. It walked about 5 yards in snow and went down leaving not a drop in the snow. If it had run a ways, there would be no blood trail to follow.

Correct, suspected blood. It’s good to use after traditional tracking techniques have turned bleak, especially if tracking dogs are 2+ hours out from being available and you want to get to your deer before predators do.

Last edited by DV_Ramrod; 12/05/18.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Best blood trailing tool.... ( write this down)
Big hole in...Big hole out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Leupold Thermal Tracker works if the trail hasn't gone cold.
It will set you back a few bucks.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was only asking for a friend, of course.

I shoot all of my animals only on the left side, with a big exit, that puts all of them down on the spot always in perfect dust-on-top-of-snow tracking conditions except when it is clean tracking mud on level ground, though of course I never need to track an animal.

Up in the Royal Group of peaks above the Palliser the other evening, the doggone masseuse in my heated deer blind would not quit massaging my hunting partner's neck and open the shooting window fast enough for the newbie hunter to shoot that whitetail on the left side like I told him to. A tracking device might come in handy for an amateur wannabe who does not know how to pose an animal correctly to shoot it where he wants.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

612 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,246
Posts18,448,040
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.