Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For the accuracy, I have used the 165 h.p.G.K. version on about 5 deer from the '06. All shots have been less than 100 yards and all behind the shoulder. The lungs have pretty well been mush but all the deer have run 100 yards or more. Two went more than 200 yards.

Used 150 grain G.K's in a couple .308's to kill about the same number of deer. They have resulted in quicker kills with the same shots, that is the deer have went less than 50 yards, maybe less than 20 but memory may be incorrect.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I shot a awful amount of critters with them before I knew they wouldn't work...……………….

LC

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'd use them for deer, but elk, nope. Not if I had better controlled expansion bullets available.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I used them for years in a 308. Much like others, I found they open readily. On a shot into the vitals of a deer without hitting shoulder, they are devastating. If you hit the shoulders, they may not be satisfactory. I’ve never shot an elk, but suspect there are better bullets.

Old70

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Many years ago when the GKHP came out I loaded a good load for my 30-06. Come deer season we were moving from the area we were hunting with no luck to another spot we wanted to try. While on the way we spotted a coyote so I decided to see what that bullet would do to the song dog. He was about 200 yards out and when the bullet hit things happened. The front half went one way and the back half another. We walked over to see the results and figured the bullet must have hit the spine and blew up. That left me a bit leery using them on deer so resighted the rifle with 180 gr. factory loads I picked up at the local hardware store. It just may have been a fluke but I lost confidence in that bullet so never used it again on anything other than targets a plinking.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Over the years I have shot a lot of deer and hogs in the shoulder on quartering to me shots. The 150's never failed to kill the animal quickly. The shoulder was ruined and the insides looked like soup. So they do come apart but not before major damage is done. a lot of times with deer I would find the bullet just under the hide behind the opposite shoulder.

Last edited by CWT; 12/03/18.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Far as I'm concerned they are only good for broadside ribcage shots only,if you like eating your venison. They come apart bad on bigger bone. Very accurate

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 12/03/18.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have 3 boxes of 150 grain Federal Premium sitting at home . I know they shoot like a house on fire out of my Tikka 30-06. After reading this stuff skeered to use them on deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't like the amount of damage the hollow point version did.
But, they were the most lethal deer killers i have ever seen. They
even exited, if I would have needed to track. (Ha! Ha!l

I would use them again. I have had worse luck with other bullets.
I prefer to see my deer where I shot them.
Having to hunt before, and after the shot, sucks.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I have 3 boxes of 150 grain Federal Premium sitting at home . I know they shoot like a house on fire out of my Tikka 30-06. After reading this stuff skeered to use them on deer.

You should be skeered I take them off your hands. All you have to do is meet me half way.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CWT
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

You should be skeered I take them off your hands. All you have to do is meet me half way.

LOL...where you at in NC?

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Central NC around Burlington. And you?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've never used the 165 .30 GK at all that I can recall, but have used the 160 7mm in the 7x57 considerably, handloaded to around 2700 fps. Have never had any difficulty with them at that velocity, but have had with other GameKings at around 2900 or so. But this is pretty much true of cup-and-core bullets, with the exception of Hornady Interlocks.

I suspect the muzzle velocity in factory .30-06 loads would be around 2800 fps, which would probably work OK on deer-sized game, but wouldn't be my first choice on anything larger.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CWT
Central NC around Burlington. And you?

10 miles from W-S

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They will come apart on impact the majority of the time, even when they hit small deer---- but from a 308 or 30-06 it won't matter all that much on deer (unless you object to the meat loss)

I would advise AGAINST their use on elk.

Their breaking up inhibits their penetration, and there are a LOT of other choices that don't come apart as badly, so why take the chance?

My experience with game kills and game bullets is that the closer you get to the low end of the power scale when hunting any game animal, the more important bullet design becomes. To clarify, there is a wide variance in performance of 150 grain bullets which you can load into a 30-06 but I think you would have trouble finding many that would not kill small deer well.
If however we were talking about shooting deer with a 223 I lean HARD toward the use of premium bullets that hold 70% or more of their weight. Reason: a 30-06 has a lot of power to spare for deer hunting. A 223 doesn't.

It is also not the best policy to assume a good deer load is going to be as good on an elk. Many are. Some are not. And there are only 2 ways to know which ones are not.

#1 is make your own mistakes.

#2 is to ask others that have made them, or seen them made.

I fall into both categories, but as someone with a LOT of experience in using (and seeing used) good and bad bullets on elk for about 50 years, my counsel is to avoid them for elk.

Not that you can't kill elk with them, but I can promise you many better choices exist.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd use them pretty much anywhere I'd use a BTSP Interlock of the same weight.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Rem. 700 30.06 loves the Federal Premium 165-gr BTSP GK's - extremely accurate. I sighted it in at 200 yards and moving back to 100 yards it shoots small groups exactly 1.5 inches high. All of my deer have been shot under 150 yards - I just don't need that much horsepower for that short of a distance, so my under-construction 6.5x55 SE will be shooting 130-gr AccuBonds. I've never shot an elk so I can't comment there. IF I were to ever hunt 'out West' for mule deer/elk/pronghorn antelope/bighorn sheep I'd definitely change to 165-gr. Partitions.

This doe had a pencil-sized entrance wound and a fist-sized exit on the other side, she ran a short distance and some blood seeped down from the entrance wound:

[Linked Image]

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
With similar shot placement and adequate velocity, I'd tend to think the TSX will perform better than the Gameking. And your meat won't have any possibility of being contaminated with lead.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The 165 grain GameKing is my go to bullet for both my .30-06s. They are very accurate in both rifles and they put deer down quickly. I have only caught one and it held up pretty well. I have no reason to use another bullet in the .30-06, at this point. If I were to go after an elk I’ll likely go to a Partition or an Accubond.

W
WAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks to all for your comments and insights. I think I’ll mothball them and see if I can sell them or just pull the loads and use the new brass. They were free after the online seller refunded my money and told me to keep the ammo. My lightweight Weatherby is no fun shooter in the recoil department so just firing them for giggles is a non-starter. I think I’ll stick with the TSX load. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 338Rules, 16penny, 13 invisible), 1,181 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,235
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.