Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like them for testing accuracy and load work up. They worked well at 308 velocities not so at 300 magnum velocities. Several times the Gamekings were a good match for Barnes & Nosler bullets, the same charge produced a similar or the same point of impact. This is nice as I can shoot more and do more load work up at less cost.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by BobinNH
First day in Wyoming,went into the barn with Bill, and saw the head and cape of a good 6x6 bull elk on the floor.

I nudged it with my boot and said to Bill, "Yours?".

"Yup",he responded.

"Nice Bull", I said."270?"

"Yup".

"Partition?"

"Nope, Sierra", he replied.

I said, "You gotta stop doing that...one of those things will bust up on you one of these days."

"Yup..........maybe". smile

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I would use them on deer, no issues. I prefer a stouter bullet for larger game.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Out of a 30-06 for deer hunting I’d consider them almost ideal. The 30-06 is a bit of ‘overkill’ for deer much of the time. Yes, I’ve hunted MS and GA a bit.

I went on a CO elk hunt two years back, went though bullet evaluation beforehand. I did have some 180 partitions loaded for my 300WSM but actually took the 165 grain gamekings out hunting. The gamekings shot a better. I took a 30 yard neck shot in a 5X5 and my hunt was over, one shot. OBTW, brush covered the larger boiler room.

Yes, where that bullet is placed is paramount.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
A bud of mine shot two 8 pointers in NC this year using 150 grain Sierra Game Kings out of a 30-06. Both bullets passed thru on rib shots, massive damage and both deer went about 75 yards. He was shooting a Jap Weatherby Mark V and it shot 3/4" with these bullets! My next dilemma is do I use 150's or 165's!

IC B2

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sako76
A bud of mine shot two 8 pointers in NC this year using 150 grain Sierra Game Kings out of a 30-06. Both bullets passed thru on rib shots, massive damage and both deer went about 75 yards. He was shooting a Jap Weatherby Mark V and it shot 3/4" with these bullets! My next dilemma is do I use 150's or 165's!

Yes

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sourdough44
Out of a 30-06 for deer hunting I’d consider them almost ideal. The 30-06 is a bit of ‘overkill’ for deer much of the time. Yes, I’ve hunted MS and GA a bit.

I went on a CO elk hunt two years back, went though bullet evaluation beforehand. I did have some 180 partitions loaded for my 300WSM but actually took the 165 grain gamekings out hunting. The gamekings shot a better. I took a 30 yard neck shot in a 5X5 and my hunt was over, one shot. OBTW, brush covered the larger boiler room.

Yes, where that bullet is placed is paramount.

I agree with you I like them for deer. I've also used the 100gr 25cal version out of the 257 Roberts. Never have had much tracking to do using them most of the deer I've shot with them went straight down. If the ammo you received in error shot good out of your rifle I'd use them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't consider deer to be "big game".....most dress out under 160 pounds and the total amount of meat on a typical deer (boned out) is well under 50 pounds.....and yes.....some are considerably larger.

Deer are more like large varmints than big game and with proper bullet placement (necessary regardless of what you are shooting) just about any bullet will put them in the freezer.....if you like Sierra then use them.

I spent several years shooting bonded bullets and finally have changed to Barnes TTSX and won't go back.....that said, if all you want is dead deer the 165 s in a .30-06 will certainly provide it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by vapodog
I don't consider deer to be "big game".....most dress out under 160 pounds and the total amount of meat on a typical deer (boned out) is well under 50 pounds.....and yes.....some are considerably larger.

Deer are more like large varmints than big game and with proper bullet placement (necessary regardless of what you are shooting) just about any bullet will put them in the freezer.....if you like Sierra then use them.

I spent several years shooting bonded bullets and finally have changed to Barnes TTSX and won't go back.....that said, if all you want is dead deer the 165 s in a .30-06 will certainly provide it.

What is wrong with you?
Reason! Sense?

You shoot TSX, and you will concede that something else will do a good job?

You must be trolling.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by szihn
They will come apart on impact the majority of the time, even when they hit small deer---- but from a 308 or 30-06 it won't matter all that much on deer (unless you object to the meat loss)

I would advise AGAINST their use on elk.

Their breaking up inhibits their penetration, and there are a LOT of other choices that don't come apart as badly, so why take the chance?

My experience with game kills and game bullets is that the closer you get to the low end of the power scale when hunting any game animal, the more important bullet design becomes. To clarify, there is a wide variance in performance of 150 grain bullets which you can load into a 30-06 but I think you would have trouble finding many that would not kill small deer well.
If however we were talking about shooting deer with a 223 I lean HARD toward the use of premium bullets that hold 70% or more of their weight. Reason: a 30-06 has a lot of power to spare for deer hunting. A 223 doesn't.

It is also not the best policy to assume a good deer load is going to be as good on an elk. Many are. Some are not. And there are only 2 ways to know which ones are not.

#1 is make your own mistakes.

#2 is to ask others that have made them, or seen them made.

I fall into both categories, but as someone with a LOT of experience in using (and seeing used) good and bad bullets on elk for about 50 years, my counsel is to avoid them for elk.

Not that you can't kill elk with them, but I can promise you many better choices exist.

Well said, S. Deer are not an issue, but there are damn sure better selections for elk. Virtually any bullet will kill a deer.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I knew a guy out here, back in the early 90's, I met at the rifle range. He was a nice guy and was working with his 30-06 Mod 700. He liked the way the 165 GK shot and he was getting great speed too. I told him I had used them on deer/hogs in Texas back when they were loaded in 30-06 by Federal ( Red Box). They worked swell on them. Well, he killed a spike elk, took three shots about 150yds and none exited. They ruined a lot of shoulder meat ( he hit no bones) He was kinda bummed. I told him if he like Sierras to go to either the 180 Pro Hunter flat base or even the 200 SBT for elk. I also used the Sierra 150 Pro Hunters in Federal ( Blue Box this time) 300WM for Hill Country deer. I wanted a "bomb", what I got was "Partition Performance"! No blood shot meat, massive lung damage and usually most of the insides "syphoned out" and hanging on the other side! I shot 4 (1 buck, 3 does) The buck I shot at the base of the neck. Exit, golf ball hole all the way through. All shots were under 100yds too. Sweet! Sure fooled me. My BIL always shoots the Sierra 150 BT in his .308 and gets a bit more meat damage, but still exits. These are all small deer, few hogs. The Pro Hunters have always shot well for me, any caliber I've tried them in. They can be as tough as Hornaday Interlocks in my experience.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 12/08/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Based on my experience with 180 SGK this year - I wouldn't use them. I shot 5 animals this year - 4 deer, 1 elk. Not an exit, even on broadside deer. Running these 2630 from my 308. I'm in search of a new hunting bullet for my 308...............

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
To bad mouth all Game Kings is faulty.Using too light a bullet and pushing it faster than it is designed for is more the culprit. A lot of negative comments about Game Kings started when the magnumitus craze started.People thought they could use the same bullets at 3000+ fps as they were use to using in the 2700-2800 fps realm.

165 gr GK at 30-06 velocities at impact distances of maybe 300 yards or so are going to perform much better than say 50 a yards.Being a big fan of heavy for caliber bullets, I don't use the light weights except for pronghorn which are usually out there aways

The 165's are definitely not something I would chose to use one elk though

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by vapodog

What is wrong with you?
Reason! Sense?

You shoot TSX, and you will concede that something else will do a good job?

You must be trolling.

Not at alI.....I also use the same gun (many years) to hunt elk and want the preferable terminal performance with the TTSX bullets for elk......since I want my firearms to have only one load to digest I load them for the heavier game in an effort to get exits.....and I must admit, even TTSX bullets don't always exit elk

If a fella has some Game kings to hunt deer with, he's good to go.....those things have been killing deer for a long time. If I prefer lead free bullets that's my prerogative....others are accorded theirs as well.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would use more lead free bullets but the money wasted, poor on game performance by the several early renditions from Barnes ruined them for me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
WAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I think I will stick with the 165 TSX / 168 TTSX loads for deer and elk. I think I’ll sell the SGK ammo at the next gun show. Thanks, all!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bwinters
Based on my experience with180 SGK this year - I wouldn't use them. I shot 5 animals this year - 4 deer, 1 elk. Not an exit, even on broadside deer. Running these 2630 from my 308. I'm in search of a new hunting bullet for my 308...............

I'm not starting a fight or calling anyone a liar. I just can't reconcile this with my experience with even lighter Sierras on deer, particularly the .308" 150 Game King.

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree and I use the 150's in a 30-06.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Gotta agree with math man. I have shot the 180 in a 300 win mag since 1980. I run these at 3025 FPS. I have shot deer from 25 to about 500 yards. The only bullet ever recovered was in the second deer it killed that was behind the first deer. The bullet was picture perfect mushroom. This is problem only 30 to 50 deer but is a pretty good sample for me. Ed k

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have had the 180 Sierra SBT fail to break a deers neck at 125 yds. from a 300 WM. Smaller deer but neck was rut swollen. If you read the Sierra copy info the Gameking which are usually boat tails are designed for longer ranges so intentionally softer, the Pro Hunters are designed with a double taper jacket and are usually "harder" bullets. The SBT hollow point game kings are usually tougher still. I think there is confusion on the use by hunters and a longer range bullet designed for the 30-06 should not be expected to perform well for the 300 WM at short range. Those that take almost exclusively behind the shoulder shots can expect them to perform well, the on the shoulder shooters might choose the HPBT pro hunter instead. The 120s have worked out this way in the 25-06 for me, I haven't tried the others yet.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,610
Posts18,454,896
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.