Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
WAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I recently received 2 boxes of .30-06 Federal Premium 165 gr Sierra GameKings due to seller’s error. I have only taken game with 165 gr TSXs with that rifle. Any experience with that load on deer and elk? Thanks in advance for your thoughtful responses. S

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Got a friend that swears by them.

I swear at them.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have used Federal 165 Sierra Gamekings for 35 years in a .308 for whitetail. Dozens of high shoulder DRT shots under 100 yards. Most accurate load for this rifle. Has never failed me. Elk may be a bit different.

Last edited by cv540; 12/02/18.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’ve killed lots of hogs and whitail with the game kings in .308 and 30-06. They worked for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Use them in my sako 30.06 for years now on elk, caribou, bear and whitetail. All have been one shot kills for the most part. I have used TSX's too and the critters can't tell the difference. Try them in yours and see how they shoot as some rifles like certain flavors.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have never been a fan of Sierra bullets on game. That being said, they are always very accurate and that trumps some durability. I have personally had them perform poorly from a .308 and also saw my father-in-law shoot a huge cow elk with the 180 version from an 06, and the bullet completely came apart. It did, however, kill the elk at least.

Last edited by sbhooper; 12/02/18.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd use them on deer with no problems.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've filled the freezer on more than one occasion with em. (but in a 308 tho) No complaints here.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

A long time ago I shot two bucks with a early production M700 "carbine" in 30-06 with those Sierra's. I swore at them, too.

Poor penetration, all three bullets lost their core. Maybe they have improved....

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I use the 150’s in my 308’s, no deer or hogs have gotten up and complained yet!

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They have been around for a long long time for a reason....never used them myself but sure wouldn't be afraid to..

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The heavier 30 cal versions are a bit tougher due to cores that contain more antimony, but I'd not be afraid to use them on deer, and I'd not be afraid to have them in the gun on an elk hunt, as long as I understood that the bullet has a couple likely limitations. The 30-06 runs at ideal speeds for most cup & core bullets.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I found the 165 gr. BTSP from Sierra to be an accurate and quick killing bullet. Some broke up but always gave good penetration exiting most of the time on deer. I killed a number of hefty feral hogs with it also generally shooting high shoulder or neck I got many one shot drops. I pushed it to 2700 fps in my 30-06. I stopped using it when I found the Pro shop and started buying Ballistic Tips. I have the same opinion of the 160 grain .284 Gameking.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been using the 150's in my 30-06's for 43 years. Deer and hogs don't like them one bit. Me I love um.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You don't mention which version you have.
The hollow point was very destructive from the 308.
Instant kills, usually got exits.

However.
It wasn't unusual to see a cloud of hair and mist fly out the offside.
With double fist plus sized exit holes.
Pure rib shots, they were great.
Get a little shoulder, especially off side.
Throw away that shoulder.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have used the 165 BTSP Gameking out of the 308 winchester. It is like arsenic on whitetail deer. Would not hesitate to use that bullet from a 308 case again.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I was able to buy 5 boxes of that same ammo when I bought my first .30/06. I mostly used it for the brass, but I did kill a few deer with it. It worked well enough, but one deer I hit dead square in the spine, from the back, could have been field dressed from the top. Not too happy with it at that point. The brass lasted me until I swapped off the rifle (for some reason

The first deer I shot with it was a broadside shot at 300 yards, and you could see the red mist behind the deer when it zipped thru both lungs. It sucked out a lot of lung matter out of that hole. The deer ran around in a circle before he decided to fall over. Luckily, it was in a wheat field, and I never lost sight of him. Nice easy drag to the truck.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Got a friend that swears by them.

I swear at them.

This, in fact I've totally written off game kings. I don't like the old BTs, the new ones are better they claim, but at least I knew what to expect.

Gks in various forms and speeds, within and without the speed ranges, and have had any kind of result you could guess. From kaboom to FMJ and with absolutely NO rhyme or reason in between.

165 soft point GK in 06, with some amount of varget has been the only one I've seen go through both lungs of a buck, leave pieces of lung on the ground, and never found the buck, only to have him killed 3 or so weeks later neck shot on purpose, so we could see the healed up holes in each lung.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've taken antelope, mule deer, and elk with them - no problem.
The closest thing to a problem was a coyote, of all things smile
~ 85 yards, caught a bit of bone in the shoulder, and left a soft-ball sized crater on the back side. Good thing I wasn't hide hunting !

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve used them for years on deer, and can testify that they’re devastating. They’ll turn a deer’s lungs to mush and penetration has never been an issue.
Up close, they will make a mess if you hit a shoulder bone. But if you’re looking for a bullet that will most assuredly put a buck down quickly, I doubt you could do better.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For the accuracy, I have used the 165 h.p.G.K. version on about 5 deer from the '06. All shots have been less than 100 yards and all behind the shoulder. The lungs have pretty well been mush but all the deer have run 100 yards or more. Two went more than 200 yards.

Used 150 grain G.K's in a couple .308's to kill about the same number of deer. They have resulted in quicker kills with the same shots, that is the deer have went less than 50 yards, maybe less than 20 but memory may be incorrect.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I shot a awful amount of critters with them before I knew they wouldn't work...……………….

LC

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'd use them for deer, but elk, nope. Not if I had better controlled expansion bullets available.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I used them for years in a 308. Much like others, I found they open readily. On a shot into the vitals of a deer without hitting shoulder, they are devastating. If you hit the shoulders, they may not be satisfactory. I’ve never shot an elk, but suspect there are better bullets.

Old70

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Many years ago when the GKHP came out I loaded a good load for my 30-06. Come deer season we were moving from the area we were hunting with no luck to another spot we wanted to try. While on the way we spotted a coyote so I decided to see what that bullet would do to the song dog. He was about 200 yards out and when the bullet hit things happened. The front half went one way and the back half another. We walked over to see the results and figured the bullet must have hit the spine and blew up. That left me a bit leery using them on deer so resighted the rifle with 180 gr. factory loads I picked up at the local hardware store. It just may have been a fluke but I lost confidence in that bullet so never used it again on anything other than targets a plinking.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Over the years I have shot a lot of deer and hogs in the shoulder on quartering to me shots. The 150's never failed to kill the animal quickly. The shoulder was ruined and the insides looked like soup. So they do come apart but not before major damage is done. a lot of times with deer I would find the bullet just under the hide behind the opposite shoulder.

Last edited by CWT; 12/03/18.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Far as I'm concerned they are only good for broadside ribcage shots only,if you like eating your venison. They come apart bad on bigger bone. Very accurate

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 12/03/18.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have 3 boxes of 150 grain Federal Premium sitting at home . I know they shoot like a house on fire out of my Tikka 30-06. After reading this stuff skeered to use them on deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't like the amount of damage the hollow point version did.
But, they were the most lethal deer killers i have ever seen. They
even exited, if I would have needed to track. (Ha! Ha!l

I would use them again. I have had worse luck with other bullets.
I prefer to see my deer where I shot them.
Having to hunt before, and after the shot, sucks.

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I have 3 boxes of 150 grain Federal Premium sitting at home . I know they shoot like a house on fire out of my Tikka 30-06. After reading this stuff skeered to use them on deer.

You should be skeered I take them off your hands. All you have to do is meet me half way.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CWT
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

You should be skeered I take them off your hands. All you have to do is meet me half way.

LOL...where you at in NC?

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Central NC around Burlington. And you?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've never used the 165 .30 GK at all that I can recall, but have used the 160 7mm in the 7x57 considerably, handloaded to around 2700 fps. Have never had any difficulty with them at that velocity, but have had with other GameKings at around 2900 or so. But this is pretty much true of cup-and-core bullets, with the exception of Hornady Interlocks.

I suspect the muzzle velocity in factory .30-06 loads would be around 2800 fps, which would probably work OK on deer-sized game, but wouldn't be my first choice on anything larger.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CWT
Central NC around Burlington. And you?

10 miles from W-S

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They will come apart on impact the majority of the time, even when they hit small deer---- but from a 308 or 30-06 it won't matter all that much on deer (unless you object to the meat loss)

I would advise AGAINST their use on elk.

Their breaking up inhibits their penetration, and there are a LOT of other choices that don't come apart as badly, so why take the chance?

My experience with game kills and game bullets is that the closer you get to the low end of the power scale when hunting any game animal, the more important bullet design becomes. To clarify, there is a wide variance in performance of 150 grain bullets which you can load into a 30-06 but I think you would have trouble finding many that would not kill small deer well.
If however we were talking about shooting deer with a 223 I lean HARD toward the use of premium bullets that hold 70% or more of their weight. Reason: a 30-06 has a lot of power to spare for deer hunting. A 223 doesn't.

It is also not the best policy to assume a good deer load is going to be as good on an elk. Many are. Some are not. And there are only 2 ways to know which ones are not.

#1 is make your own mistakes.

#2 is to ask others that have made them, or seen them made.

I fall into both categories, but as someone with a LOT of experience in using (and seeing used) good and bad bullets on elk for about 50 years, my counsel is to avoid them for elk.

Not that you can't kill elk with them, but I can promise you many better choices exist.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd use them pretty much anywhere I'd use a BTSP Interlock of the same weight.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Rem. 700 30.06 loves the Federal Premium 165-gr BTSP GK's - extremely accurate. I sighted it in at 200 yards and moving back to 100 yards it shoots small groups exactly 1.5 inches high. All of my deer have been shot under 150 yards - I just don't need that much horsepower for that short of a distance, so my under-construction 6.5x55 SE will be shooting 130-gr AccuBonds. I've never shot an elk so I can't comment there. IF I were to ever hunt 'out West' for mule deer/elk/pronghorn antelope/bighorn sheep I'd definitely change to 165-gr. Partitions.

This doe had a pencil-sized entrance wound and a fist-sized exit on the other side, she ran a short distance and some blood seeped down from the entrance wound:

[Linked Image]

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
With similar shot placement and adequate velocity, I'd tend to think the TSX will perform better than the Gameking. And your meat won't have any possibility of being contaminated with lead.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
The 165 grain GameKing is my go to bullet for both my .30-06s. They are very accurate in both rifles and they put deer down quickly. I have only caught one and it held up pretty well. I have no reason to use another bullet in the .30-06, at this point. If I were to go after an elk I’ll likely go to a Partition or an Accubond.

W
WAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks to all for your comments and insights. I think I’ll mothball them and see if I can sell them or just pull the loads and use the new brass. They were free after the online seller refunded my money and told me to keep the ammo. My lightweight Weatherby is no fun shooter in the recoil department so just firing them for giggles is a non-starter. I think I’ll stick with the TSX load. Happy Trails

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like them for testing accuracy and load work up. They worked well at 308 velocities not so at 300 magnum velocities. Several times the Gamekings were a good match for Barnes & Nosler bullets, the same charge produced a similar or the same point of impact. This is nice as I can shoot more and do more load work up at less cost.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by BobinNH
First day in Wyoming,went into the barn with Bill, and saw the head and cape of a good 6x6 bull elk on the floor.

I nudged it with my boot and said to Bill, "Yours?".

"Yup",he responded.

"Nice Bull", I said."270?"

"Yup".

"Partition?"

"Nope, Sierra", he replied.

I said, "You gotta stop doing that...one of those things will bust up on you one of these days."

"Yup..........maybe". smile

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I would use them on deer, no issues. I prefer a stouter bullet for larger game.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Out of a 30-06 for deer hunting I’d consider them almost ideal. The 30-06 is a bit of ‘overkill’ for deer much of the time. Yes, I’ve hunted MS and GA a bit.

I went on a CO elk hunt two years back, went though bullet evaluation beforehand. I did have some 180 partitions loaded for my 300WSM but actually took the 165 grain gamekings out hunting. The gamekings shot a better. I took a 30 yard neck shot in a 5X5 and my hunt was over, one shot. OBTW, brush covered the larger boiler room.

Yes, where that bullet is placed is paramount.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A bud of mine shot two 8 pointers in NC this year using 150 grain Sierra Game Kings out of a 30-06. Both bullets passed thru on rib shots, massive damage and both deer went about 75 yards. He was shooting a Jap Weatherby Mark V and it shot 3/4" with these bullets! My next dilemma is do I use 150's or 165's!

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sako76
A bud of mine shot two 8 pointers in NC this year using 150 grain Sierra Game Kings out of a 30-06. Both bullets passed thru on rib shots, massive damage and both deer went about 75 yards. He was shooting a Jap Weatherby Mark V and it shot 3/4" with these bullets! My next dilemma is do I use 150's or 165's!

Yes

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sourdough44
Out of a 30-06 for deer hunting I’d consider them almost ideal. The 30-06 is a bit of ‘overkill’ for deer much of the time. Yes, I’ve hunted MS and GA a bit.

I went on a CO elk hunt two years back, went though bullet evaluation beforehand. I did have some 180 partitions loaded for my 300WSM but actually took the 165 grain gamekings out hunting. The gamekings shot a better. I took a 30 yard neck shot in a 5X5 and my hunt was over, one shot. OBTW, brush covered the larger boiler room.

Yes, where that bullet is placed is paramount.

I agree with you I like them for deer. I've also used the 100gr 25cal version out of the 257 Roberts. Never have had much tracking to do using them most of the deer I've shot with them went straight down. If the ammo you received in error shot good out of your rifle I'd use them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't consider deer to be "big game".....most dress out under 160 pounds and the total amount of meat on a typical deer (boned out) is well under 50 pounds.....and yes.....some are considerably larger.

Deer are more like large varmints than big game and with proper bullet placement (necessary regardless of what you are shooting) just about any bullet will put them in the freezer.....if you like Sierra then use them.

I spent several years shooting bonded bullets and finally have changed to Barnes TTSX and won't go back.....that said, if all you want is dead deer the 165 s in a .30-06 will certainly provide it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by vapodog
I don't consider deer to be "big game".....most dress out under 160 pounds and the total amount of meat on a typical deer (boned out) is well under 50 pounds.....and yes.....some are considerably larger.

Deer are more like large varmints than big game and with proper bullet placement (necessary regardless of what you are shooting) just about any bullet will put them in the freezer.....if you like Sierra then use them.

I spent several years shooting bonded bullets and finally have changed to Barnes TTSX and won't go back.....that said, if all you want is dead deer the 165 s in a .30-06 will certainly provide it.

What is wrong with you?
Reason! Sense?

You shoot TSX, and you will concede that something else will do a good job?

You must be trolling.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by szihn
They will come apart on impact the majority of the time, even when they hit small deer---- but from a 308 or 30-06 it won't matter all that much on deer (unless you object to the meat loss)

I would advise AGAINST their use on elk.

Their breaking up inhibits their penetration, and there are a LOT of other choices that don't come apart as badly, so why take the chance?

My experience with game kills and game bullets is that the closer you get to the low end of the power scale when hunting any game animal, the more important bullet design becomes. To clarify, there is a wide variance in performance of 150 grain bullets which you can load into a 30-06 but I think you would have trouble finding many that would not kill small deer well.
If however we were talking about shooting deer with a 223 I lean HARD toward the use of premium bullets that hold 70% or more of their weight. Reason: a 30-06 has a lot of power to spare for deer hunting. A 223 doesn't.

It is also not the best policy to assume a good deer load is going to be as good on an elk. Many are. Some are not. And there are only 2 ways to know which ones are not.

#1 is make your own mistakes.

#2 is to ask others that have made them, or seen them made.

I fall into both categories, but as someone with a LOT of experience in using (and seeing used) good and bad bullets on elk for about 50 years, my counsel is to avoid them for elk.

Not that you can't kill elk with them, but I can promise you many better choices exist.

Well said, S. Deer are not an issue, but there are damn sure better selections for elk. Virtually any bullet will kill a deer.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I knew a guy out here, back in the early 90's, I met at the rifle range. He was a nice guy and was working with his 30-06 Mod 700. He liked the way the 165 GK shot and he was getting great speed too. I told him I had used them on deer/hogs in Texas back when they were loaded in 30-06 by Federal ( Red Box). They worked swell on them. Well, he killed a spike elk, took three shots about 150yds and none exited. They ruined a lot of shoulder meat ( he hit no bones) He was kinda bummed. I told him if he like Sierras to go to either the 180 Pro Hunter flat base or even the 200 SBT for elk. I also used the Sierra 150 Pro Hunters in Federal ( Blue Box this time) 300WM for Hill Country deer. I wanted a "bomb", what I got was "Partition Performance"! No blood shot meat, massive lung damage and usually most of the insides "syphoned out" and hanging on the other side! I shot 4 (1 buck, 3 does) The buck I shot at the base of the neck. Exit, golf ball hole all the way through. All shots were under 100yds too. Sweet! Sure fooled me. My BIL always shoots the Sierra 150 BT in his .308 and gets a bit more meat damage, but still exits. These are all small deer, few hogs. The Pro Hunters have always shot well for me, any caliber I've tried them in. They can be as tough as Hornaday Interlocks in my experience.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 12/08/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Based on my experience with 180 SGK this year - I wouldn't use them. I shot 5 animals this year - 4 deer, 1 elk. Not an exit, even on broadside deer. Running these 2630 from my 308. I'm in search of a new hunting bullet for my 308...............

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
To bad mouth all Game Kings is faulty.Using too light a bullet and pushing it faster than it is designed for is more the culprit. A lot of negative comments about Game Kings started when the magnumitus craze started.People thought they could use the same bullets at 3000+ fps as they were use to using in the 2700-2800 fps realm.

165 gr GK at 30-06 velocities at impact distances of maybe 300 yards or so are going to perform much better than say 50 a yards.Being a big fan of heavy for caliber bullets, I don't use the light weights except for pronghorn which are usually out there aways

The 165's are definitely not something I would chose to use one elk though

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by vapodog

What is wrong with you?
Reason! Sense?

You shoot TSX, and you will concede that something else will do a good job?

You must be trolling.

Not at alI.....I also use the same gun (many years) to hunt elk and want the preferable terminal performance with the TTSX bullets for elk......since I want my firearms to have only one load to digest I load them for the heavier game in an effort to get exits.....and I must admit, even TTSX bullets don't always exit elk

If a fella has some Game kings to hunt deer with, he's good to go.....those things have been killing deer for a long time. If I prefer lead free bullets that's my prerogative....others are accorded theirs as well.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would use more lead free bullets but the money wasted, poor on game performance by the several early renditions from Barnes ruined them for me.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
WAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I think I will stick with the 165 TSX / 168 TTSX loads for deer and elk. I think I’ll sell the SGK ammo at the next gun show. Thanks, all!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bwinters
Based on my experience with180 SGK this year - I wouldn't use them. I shot 5 animals this year - 4 deer, 1 elk. Not an exit, even on broadside deer. Running these 2630 from my 308. I'm in search of a new hunting bullet for my 308...............

I'm not starting a fight or calling anyone a liar. I just can't reconcile this with my experience with even lighter Sierras on deer, particularly the .308" 150 Game King.

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree and I use the 150's in a 30-06.

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Gotta agree with math man. I have shot the 180 in a 300 win mag since 1980. I run these at 3025 FPS. I have shot deer from 25 to about 500 yards. The only bullet ever recovered was in the second deer it killed that was behind the first deer. The bullet was picture perfect mushroom. This is problem only 30 to 50 deer but is a pretty good sample for me. Ed k

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have had the 180 Sierra SBT fail to break a deers neck at 125 yds. from a 300 WM. Smaller deer but neck was rut swollen. If you read the Sierra copy info the Gameking which are usually boat tails are designed for longer ranges so intentionally softer, the Pro Hunters are designed with a double taper jacket and are usually "harder" bullets. The SBT hollow point game kings are usually tougher still. I think there is confusion on the use by hunters and a longer range bullet designed for the 30-06 should not be expected to perform well for the 300 WM at short range. Those that take almost exclusively behind the shoulder shots can expect them to perform well, the on the shoulder shooters might choose the HPBT pro hunter instead. The 120s have worked out this way in the 25-06 for me, I haven't tried the others yet.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
There has always been considerable confusion on the part of many hunters and handloaders on the velocity and placement limitations of cup-and-core bullets on big game, which started almost immediately after practical smokeless rifle powders appeared in the 1880's. This obviously continues to this day, and obviously always will.

But there's something else going on here, which is also common and apparently always will be. Many hunters also assume that because ONE bullet of a certain brand acts in a certain way, then ALL bullets of the same brand will as well. Have heard this not just about cup-and-cores but premium bullets as well. Most hunting bullet companies adjust the design of their bullets depending on what size of game a hunter might use them on. In cup-and-cores the adjustments can include jacket thickness (often the only design feature many hunters consider, if they even consider it at all) and core hardness. Which is exactly not all Sierra bullets work the same way on big game, just as not all Barnes, Nosler or Swift bullets work exactly the same way.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
To all those who decry the disruptive action and lack of complete penetration of GK's on deer-sized game- did said animals die quickly or did they scamper off before dying somewhere on the back 40 or worse yet get away Scot-free?

Sierra .30 GameKings have been my go-to's for deer out of various .30-06's for 40 years now. Excessive meat damage? Sometimes. Quick deaths? Always. Personally I like a bullet that disrupts to hell and gone inside the animal and murders it right there, finito. I place a higher value on a quick death than any concern for a couple pounds of inedible bloodshot meat. Were I to engage a larger tougher animal, sure, I would switch out to a TSX or Partition but that's not likely to happen for me ever again so for me it's a moot point.

Match the bullet to its target and try not to over think it too much.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Agreed, but I think you're fighting an uphill battle.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's ok. I've been tilting at windmills all my life.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They work great for windmills too.

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All I know is the 150's from a 30-06 is tough enough to kill 200-250lb hogs even when hit in the shoulder. They don't go far and never ever have I lost one. Now I only hunted hogs for the 8 years I lived in GA so I don't have a huge sampling. But I guess I must have killed 50-60 or so with the 30-06 and 150 BTSP Gamekings. The rest were with 7mm-08 and 25-06 and even the 243 with 95 grain Nosler BT.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
To all those who decry the disruptive action and lack of complete penetration of GK's on deer-sized game- did said animals die quickly or did they scamper off before dying somewhere on the back 40 or worse yet get away Scot-free?

Sierra .30 GameKings have been my go-to's for deer out of various .30-06's for 40 years now. Excessive meat damage? Sometimes. Quick deaths? Always. Personally I like a bullet that disrupts to hell and gone inside the animal and murders it right there, finito. I place a higher value on a quick death than any concern for a couple pounds of inedible bloodshot meat. Were I to engage a larger tougher animal, sure, I would switch out to a TSX or Partition but that's not likely to happen for me ever again so for me it's a moot point.

Match the bullet to its target and try not to over think it too much.

+1. Well put

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Tejano
They work great for windmills too.

Too much grist damage for my taste.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've heard the issues with the Game King loads, but have never experienced it my self. I've got a Mauser in '06 that really likes the Federal Premium 165 gr. Sierra Game King BTSP. I haven't had a deer hit by this round walk more than 5 feet yet. All shots were heart, lung, or front shoulder shots.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I never knew I had made such a poor bullet choice till I started reading on the fire and found out my Sierras and SSTs were junk. Maybe one day I’ll make a better choice but those junk bullets kill stuff dead and usually with little to no tracking.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

They scampered off quickly, and took a while to catch up with and shoot them again.

I don't expect all critters to go bang flop when I shoot them in the front half, but I do expect a bullet like the 165 gr GK to at least penetrate to the further side of a medium size muley. And when it happens three times in a row I think that's enough to make a judgement of the bullet.

Maybe Sierra has changed the 308 cal, 165 gr GK in the last 20 years........

I've killed 8-9 elk with the Sierra 270 cal, 150 gr GK. Will the 150 gr GK kill elk? Yes. Is it a good elk bullet? Nope. There is a distinction between those two things that is lost on folks sometimes.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Based on my experience with180 SGK this year - I wouldn't use them. I shot 5 animals this year - 4 deer, 1 elk. Not an exit, even on broadside deer. Running these 2630 from my 308. I'm in search of a new hunting bullet for my 308...............

I'm not starting a fight or calling anyone a liar. I just can't reconcile this with my experience with even lighter Sierras on deer, particularly the .308" 150 Game King.

Feel free to believe whatever you choose. At least you were polite in doubting my post which I do appreciate.

Maybe there is some validity to my conversation with the Sierra rep about my experiences this year. He stated I should go to a lighter GK and push it faster. I doubted that because it doesn't seem likely - and doesn't line up with my experiences with cup and core bullets. This also seems to line up with some of the other posters doubting my statements on the 180 GK. I'm fairly certain what I observed.

I also load for my nephew and he shoots 180 Sierra Prohunter over 57 gr IMR 4350 for about 2800 ft/sec in his 06. He did achieve exits on 2 deer this year. I still dont understand how running a lighter cup and core bullet faster results in more penetration. It seems counter intuitive.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess deer in some states are just a hell of a lot tougher than the deer I have hunted for the past 43 years. Thank goodness for the 25 caliber, 100 grain Nosler ballistic tips. If it wasn't for them I might never recover another whitetail.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Feel free to believe whatever you choose. At least you were polite in doubting my post which I do appreciate.

Let me be plain: I don't doubt your word, or your experience. I did not mean that at all.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,206
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.