Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It's a good question. We all decide for ourselves.

In the case of the OP, the shooter was either incredibly stupid, derelict, and inept.....or he did it on purpose. There's really no other way to that result.

Last edited by MontanaMarine; 11/20/18.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
This is a terrible thing, but for those who won't have a round chambered while hunting do you do the same thing with your shotguns while hunting?

We hunt cold most of the time when carrying rifles.
Rarely so with shotguns.

But the circumstances are also very different.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the 2nd young Hunter in the House. I go over in some detail the process of loading and unloading a gun when in and out of the truck. Yes, all it takes is once, SO TOTALLY AVOIDABLE.

Basically, I’ll go on my side, point down and away, you go on your side, point down and away while loading. The same applies to unloading.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There been 4 deaths here in Michigan in the last week during firearm deer season! one case a 13 year old, shot a 16 year old while loading his gun!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by riverdog
I guess if I can’t trust someone to carry a loaded weapon while hunting or load before going hunting, how can I trust them to load and chamber a round when we make contact with game or get to the place where we decide it is safe to load?

You should be able to trust your hunting partners to load their rifles safely, and to keep them unloaded until there's a reason to have a round in the chamber.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
It even bothers me when folks unload, case their guns and put them in the vehicle w muzzle at the other guy.
Triple check, case it, then put it in w muzzle at you.
Or wait until the other guy is done and out of the way.
Yeah, muzzle at you is bad, but if you totally screw up only you gets killed.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
BTW, I have seen firearm failures where they went boom with finger off the trigger.
But will agree, most folks have the booger hook on the bang switch and either lie about it, or flat out THOUGHT they didn't.
People have different motor skills and sensations of touch.
Some think off the trigger is also out of the trigger guard.
And some can lay a finger they thought was out of trigger guard, on side of trigger and work the bolt and "click".
Dude of some experience tripped my 600's trigger doing that.
Screamed I set it dangerous.
I was watching and told him his %$#@ finger was on the damn trigger.

Gun was unloaded, triple checked and he was testing trigger, pointed safe direction.
He had never shot a light trigger evidently (under 2#).

Who knows how many times he did that crap w a loaded gun and by sheer luck didn't have a boom.
Obviously of poor habit.

That was a real learning experience for him,

Yes, he bought the rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
This is a terrible thing, but for those who won't have a round chambered while hunting do you do the same thing with your shotguns while hunting?

Rarely so with shotguns.

Maybe where you live they are. Ever try flushing and shooting blacktail bucks in tight cover? Jackrabbits? Elk hunt the Cascades in the hemlocks? No damn way I'm carrying cold. Ever.

LOL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
this is a very sad story, that rifle should have been pointed down and away from everyone that was poor learning skills and very sad. my brother`s rifle went off once ,by me ,rifle was a 30-30 lever when brother was unloading rifle carelessly and not paying attention,brother thought he was rifleman "Chuck Oconnors ", our DAD slapped him in the back of the head and scolded hard,we never had any safety issues again DAD was a youth gun safety instructor and when that happened he was pissed. maybe this dud had no gun safety training or a father that cared about safety or came from another broken family ? bad sad death that should not have happen the rifle never caused this death poor gun safety caused it !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by hookeye
It even bothers me when folks unload, case their guns and put them in the vehicle w muzzle at the other guy.

If a guy can't figure out how to remove ALL the ammo from his gun, that guy should likely get another hobby. If a guy can't figure out how to make his gun impossible to fire w/o human intervention, that guy should likely get another hobby.

Which way do you point your hammer in the toolbox? Toward you, or toward your buddy? Which way to you point the scissors in the drawer? Toward your wife, or your kids?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Remington Model 700?

Detachable mag, so likely not.

NRA Patron
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Rarely so with shotguns.

Maybe where you live they are. Ever try flushing and shooting blacktail bucks in tight cover? Jackrabbits? Elk hunt the Cascades in the hemlocks? No damn way I'm carrying cold. Ever.

Re-read his last sentence.

Ever???? You carry rour rifle in the car with a hot chamber, or in the gun safe? Walking from parking lot to trail head?This is all about WHEN one goes hot chamber.

I don't trust my safety, I should trust yours? Plus your hand position, your muzzle control, your balance on slippery rocks, log, etc WHEN A HOT CHAMBER IS NOT NECESSARY??? Behind my back?

I don't think so.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
i've got an old 700 that will do this if the trigger is set too low.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by riverdog
"... We all know however that keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction would have prevented this death. We all know the rules...

Yes! also, why do you have to load in the parking lot anyway?
muzzle down, not pointing at anything but ground.

sorry to hear this story.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Rarely so with shotguns.

In what way?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by magnum44270
i've got an old 700 that will do this if the trigger is set too low.

One of the downfalls of the Walker trigger is that it is immanently adjustable. I've bought a few M700's--including here on the 'fire--where the sear engagement was dangerously small...

A couple more older M700's probably never had their stocks removed and the underside of the rifle cleaned. The trigger housings were filthy, and PACKED with crud.

Those two situations probably account for 99% of the alleged "accidental discharges".

But few want to hear that.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I talked with one of the investigators today. The rifle was a Browning. Function testing hasn’t been competed yet.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by hookeye

If a guy can't figure out how to remove ALL the ammo from his gun, that guy should likely get another hobby. If a guy can't figure out how to make his gun impossible to fire w/o human intervention, that guy should likely get another hobby.

Which way do you point your hammer in the toolbox? Toward you, or toward your buddy? Which way to you point the scissors in the drawer? Toward your wife, or your kids?

Quite possibly the dumbest post I've seen on the fire in 15 years.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When I leave my truck...I'm hunting...w/ a round in the chamber. powdr

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Bad deal. Should remind us all of rule # 4. NEVER let your muzzle cover anything your not willing to shoot.

That being said, I never carry a rifle with a round in the chamber. If it costs me a missed shot, so be it. Just not worth the risk to me.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.