B
This is my $380 receiver from PT&G.
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by valad
Cali,

BTW the $250-$300 Stiller is the difference between those two actions I want to get however I do not have a Stainless so these two if bought will do.

Yeah,....... that's how I kinda came up with the numbers.

$3-400 action plus $3-400 worth of "blueprint" - $1000 worth of custom...............

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by dave7mm

Dave, the PT&G is not a bad deal. I was lucky a year or 2 ago when they had these for $380 and mine came with the 1 piece bolt. As far as I know, these are new Remington receivers, mine was.

Butch
I dont have any receivers from PT&G.
My M700s were almost always guns at one time.
But I do have several of there bolts.
My smith will sometimes use the Dave Manson tap mandrill tool.
Actually had several of my 700s have the bore hole opened up and then ordered over sized bolts from PT&G to "fit"
Kinda depends on the 700 action to begin with.
Some are pretty good.Some others not so much.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
valad
Dont forget this guy.
https://bordenrifles.com/custom-actions/alpine-and-timberline-actions/
I actually had a Alpine and sold the rifle after it was built.
Nice action.

dave

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I am going to built me a M700 in 7-08 LH as they are not made. Wile looking at the innerweb I see that the Stiller actions are already blue printed while ordering a LH M700 Stainless is around $430ish. The difference from having the Stiller Predator (Hunting) action is $995 while the M700 is $430. It makes sense to get the Stiller Predator action and already have it blueprinted. Also the Stiller has the M700 footprint so I assume it will fit in a M700 stock like a Mcmillan?

Of course this is for mainly target shooting etc but I do go hunting however I shoot year around anyway. Does it make sense to go with a Stiller Predator or just get a LH M700 and see what it cost to get it blueprinted as I need to get a barrel installed. (I have the McM stock on hand).

Just wondering out lout what you all are doing as the blueprint is going to come near to the Predators.

What type of rifle are you putting together? Weight, stock and so forth?

IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Ever heard of or seen the ARC Nucleus?

Take a peak. Got em on the shelf. We also have a scorching deal on the ARC LRI HTR Mausingfields. You want the ultimate action? That one checks a whole lot of boxes.

Happy to help.

C.

"Remember, men will be their lives on the work you do."
-Phillip Newsom
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Well, I have custom actions ( Shilen DGA, Bat, Borden, and Nesika). Also have two blue-printed 700 actions. Got several 700 actions that only were faced along with the bolt face and using a ground lug. They all shot under .5 in @ 100. Had a br gunsmith tell me a stiller wasn't as true as a blue- printed 700. Bolt clearance is another matter but minor. Invest in a better barrel and kiss the 700 action and bolt face and use a ground or custom lug. Much more accuracy in the barrel than action anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
valad

https://defiancemachine.com/actions/tenacity/
They dont have the left hand just yet but they will.

dave

What would one be "giving up" using this vs one of their other repeater models?

Thanks.

Last edited by 65BR; 11/28/18.
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
When I first heard of Stiller (our of Texas) I did a search and several manufactures came up. One of those was Kelbly''s and I just took a look and see them at $4200 for the Atlas Tactical rifles. I generally like the Atlas without the 20 MOA. Anyway apparently someone got the Atlas rifle for $2700 (2017 from what I remembered) and my thinking was for about $500 more I'd have a true action right from the start. But looking at Kelbly website it appears they jumped nearly $1500 to today's rifle.

Actually my couple of trued M700 actions do shoot in the dime size but I got those probably 7 years ago so obviously the price was reasonable back then...unlike today custom actions. Couple that with me being a lefty (I do not have Stainless actions only Stainless barrels) it will not be easy to trip this gun anyway so I will just be content with my builds and if I want a 7/08 I will get the M700. I already got the McM stock that I can use too. So I think right off the bat I will use this and see how it goes...obviously there are not any lefty's in 7/08 as far as I know. Yeah I have a Tikka LH in .223 and this does shoot buy holes but has plastic on it and is sized for a LA. I'd like to have a true SA.

I am at the age where I am going to get rid of some rifles in the near term as I cannot possible shoot them all anyway. So my thinking was get an action/rifle already trued from the factory but I think this is more than what I want to spend nowdays.

All of those actions that everyone is throwing out I may eventually get one for my son as he is 15 now but if only he would stop chasing girls lol. For me I am content...I just did not realize these actions were 2x a custom M700 and maybe these guys are a little proud but this is capitalism...if they can do it they will do it. Like I said I have found trued M700 to be excellent and not every rifle needs to be trued. People are still using standard rifles to fill their freezer anyway.

mathman: I generally like rifles like M700 to be around 7 to 7.5 lbs without scope and bullets. So if can come to around 8.5 lbs or a little less with the McM stock. Again not looking for a benchrest rifle but we all like accuracy in our rifles.

V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I could swear I saw Buds Gun Shop have a LG Stainless .308 action for like $390 or so but I cannot see them now. Looking at PT&G they have the left stainless for $647. How are these actions? I recall reading that PT&G is not to stellar but that is on parts.

BTW thanks for all who contrubuted to this thread and via PMs. I think I will got for an action since I have the McM ...I just get a trigger (always had Remmy triggers) and barrel and see what happens. Definitely alot of things to think about. BTW I just pulled out the McM stock this week and its set up for a Sporter barrel sized .223 so not sure what size barrel I can use.

Anywa the PG&T looks interesting but are they truly blue printed?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 65BR
valad

https://defiancemachine.com/actions/tenacity/
They dont have the left hand just yet but they will.

dave

What would one be "giving up" using this vs one of their other repeater models?

Thanks.

65BR, you can mess around with tangs and ports and bolt handles/knobs, and the fluting on the bolts, on there other actions.
You can also ask for a long tennon.....I did this on my Rebel BR gun.
Im thinking the tenacity looks like the picture and thats it.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by C_Dixon

Take a peak. Got em on the shelf. We also have a scorching deal on the ARC LRI HTR Mausingfields. You want the ultimate action? That one checks a whole lot of boxes.

Happy to help.

C.

Mr. Dixon,
Thanks for that as I had not heard of them.
Interesting looking is a understatement...
Two points.
Dont think ive seen an action with that many parts on it before.
Theres alot of crap on it thats for sure.Im sure it all works very well....

The bolt handle.
I cant abide that thing.
It looks like something someone stole off of Herman Munsters hot rod.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
valad,

One more for you.
These are interesting as they are a 3 lug action and have a 60 degree bolt lift.
https://www.whiddengunworks.com/barnard-model-s-action/

dave

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Happy to help.

C.

Mr. Dixon,
Two points.

The bolt handle.
I cant abide that thing.

dave

Dave, the bolt handle and knob looks to have been borrowed from my antique Shakespeare baitcasting reel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOL....That's funny.

Dave- thanks, about what I figured. That action looks nice "as is"

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
call Jim Borden at borden rifles....he will sell you one of his actions and install a hart barrel for you also....then send it to Alex Sitman at masterclass stocks and have him install the stock...you will end up with a first class custom rifle

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
The choices for a 700 based action are numerous here are a couple more for consideration.

On a budget, Brownells has a Gunwerks in left hand: Gunwerks 700 action

For Cadillac 700 based actions and not much more than the above, roughly $1,000/action you could buy the GA Percision (GAP) Templar, Templar V2 or Tempest 700 based actions. These come in left hand. Action designs are by Glen Harrison of Defiance Machine LLC. Mr. Harrison was the founder and former president/owner of Nesika Bay Precision before selling it to Dakota Arms. He has quite a history in action design. You mentioned you probably shoot more than hunt and Nesika Bay Precision actions were considered the cat's meow in the competition world.

GAP Actions

GAP is located in KC, MO and makes some quality rifles as well. Although many of their rifles use the Templar action some are built on a tuned standard Remington 700 action as well.

For what it's worth when barreling/chambering the 7-08 Rem to a less expensive action, if that's what you choose, most if not all will true your action and verify concentric tolerances. With a super match grade barrel and $500 action, I'm sure it would be a shooter for target and hunting. It's all up to what you want out of a firearm.

Good luck on your quest.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Anywa the PG&T looks interesting but are they truly blue printed?

Mine is, they start with a bare un-threaded receiver. It looks to be trued inside and out and fresh threads. Mine has the one piece bolt and it feels like a custom action or at least the tactical versions as far as smoothness and tolerances. The bluing is good, better than a standard 700 CDL. Will it out shoot my partially trued actions? Probably but it will out shoot me so I may never know.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought a lefty action from bud's and screwed a Hawk Hill barrel on it. Shoots very small groups with no load development work. That action wasn't trued or anything, just had barrel installed. Not really slumming it going that way. In fairness it is a heavy Hawk Hill barrel.

Lefthand 700 SS SA at bud's for $381.

Last edited by 30338; 12/11/18.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

Happy to help.

C.

Mr. Dixon,
Two points.

The bolt handle.
I cant abide that thing.

dave

Ugly is an understatement.........

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.