-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dad started me out with a side by side and I still have several nice side by sides.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GREAT pics, luv2safari!

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've had several of the NEF singles here and can't get my head down where it should be because the comb is too high.

And the last kid you saw built like you was how old?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I've had several of the NEF singles here and can't get my head down where it should be because the comb is too high.

And the last kid you saw built like you was how old?
The point is the NEF's have less drop at comb and heel than most shotguns on the market today. I don't have trouble getting my eye down along the barrel on any of the multiple pumps and doubles I have here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm going to suggest the pump. It's one major disadvantage for a young shooter is that it lacks the recoil reduction of a semi-auto, but with 7/8 pz loads a 20 isn't too bad in a pump. I had a close call with a semi-auto when a kid, didn't get hurt, but got excited and after the first shot forgot I had a reloaded and ready to go shotgun in my hands. Another reason I like a pump even today is that when sharptail hunting, I'm often walking across uneven ground with lots of brush. I like to carry the pump with a loaded magazine, empty chamber, trigger pulled so the slide lock is disengaged. I can work that pump as fast as I can release a safety on a surprise flush it seems to me, and I like the security of an empty chamber when walking long distances over uneven ground in the prairie.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I know it wasn't one of the choices, but what's wrong with a single shot 20 for a kid's first scatter gun?

Make the first shot count, probably not gonna be a second.

Good timing for this thread as I was thinking about this very topic today.

IMO the biggest problem with most single shot shotguns is the hammer. Having to lower the hammer on a loaded gun after cocking but not firing isn't ideal for a young hunter.

As someone mentioned in an earlier post, any gun can function as a single shot, either via a plug in a repeater or merely loading just one shell.

I like the idea of a gas-operated semi-auto for reducing recoil, but I'm wondering about the transition from loading only one (single shot mode) to loading two (repeater mode). For that transition a pump might be better. I don't think there's one best choice - each has pros and cons as evidenced by opinions on this thread.

From my personal experience I don't recommend a .410 for flying targets, but besides that I think any gauge would work with light enough loads for a beginner.

Thank you to everyone contributing their thoughts.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by saskfox
If you are a reloader or have a friend that reloads you can make some low recoil loads. Don't get an ultra light gun action type would be your call. My sons and daughters started with a 37 Ithaca 12 gauge with reduced loads. I cut 1" off the stock and put a good recoil pad on it. I knew it was throwing around 60% and POA was same as POI.

I like the idea of a single shot as others have said the problem is generally the guns are so light. What do you guys think of making a plug for a pump or auto that blocks the whole magazine making it a single shot. It would be quite easy to do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yes, that would be easy and effective to make it a 1 shot trainer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I do not see the need for a plug if the kid is getting reasonable attention.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you are a reloader or have a friend that reloads you can make some low recoil loads. Don't get an ultra light gun action type would be your call. My sons and daughters started with a 37 Ithaca 12 gauge with reduced loads. I cut 1" off the stock and put a good recoil pad on it. I knew it was throwing around 60% and POA was same as POI.

I like the idea of a single shot as others have said the problem is generally the guns are so light. What do you guys think of making a plug for a pump or auto that blocks the whole magazine making it a single shot. It would be quite easy to do.
The Mossberg 500 bantam I mentioned earlier comes from the factory with a full length plug in the magazine, limiting it to a single shot. The stock dimensions are also meant for kids in every way. Unlike a cut down adult stock, the pistol grip is smaller in circumference and positioned closer to the trigger so a small hand can get a good grip and small fingers don't have to stretch to reach the trigger. The forearm is also positioned closer to the receiver so short arms don't have to stretch to work the action. All in all, a much better choice for a small child than any cut down adult sized gun and better than most other youth guns.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Blackheart. The Mossberg 500 bantam would be a great choice.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'd go pump over the Tristar semi. My nephew is very small for his age. My brother bought him a full camo 20 gauge mossberg 500 bantam youth pump for his birthday this past summer. I took him hunting several times this fall. The kid is deadly with that gun and he loves it. It seems to fit him well and he doesn't have a bit of trouble with the weight. He's been using low base 7/8 oz field loads exclusively and the recoil doesn't bother him at all.

this is very good advise X2, I would only allow this youngster one shell at a time in his shotgun. I told my son his Mossberg 20 gauge pump was a single shot for a year but kids figure it out its a 3 shot quickly. , I also ported his shotgun right away and put a mercury reducer in stock too.Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 12/01/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A Mossberg for a kid is child abuse!

wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
A Mossberg for a kid is child abuse!

wink

My nephew ain't a spoiled brat so was mighty appreciative of the Mossberg as well he should be. It's alot better than anything his father or I got. We had to buy our own first shotguns when we were kids. Not a darn thing wrong with a Mossberg anyway if you aren't a snob. I've still got two of them, one fron the '60's and one from the '90's. Both have been hunted a ton, killed lots of game and still work perfect after thousands of rounds.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,124
Posts18,464,622
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.