Print Thread
Hop To
J
JackAZ Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
My 11 year old daughter had her first cow elk hunt this past weekend on the Mogollon Rim of Arizona. She and I spent some time getting to know the unit a little better this summer. We even put out her first trail camera and got a few pics of some elk and a nice black bear. Two weeks before the hunt I spent an evening driving around with krp looking at some areas where he had some past success.

I went into week of the hunt with what I thought was a solid Plan A and Plan B, but a couple days before the opener a buddy called to tell me that he had seen quite a few elk in another part of the unit during his fall turkey hunt the weekend before. His intel was enticing enough to make me change my mind, and we decided to spend the opening day on that side of the unit.

My father in law and I had her on a herd of elk within minutes of shooting light. She had a broadside cow in her scope at about 100 yards for about 30 seconds, but it kept a brushy tree over its vitals the whole time. It didn't move until it decided to run and take the rest of the herd with it. Throughout that morning we encountered several small herds, but nothing held still long enough for a 70 pound kid to get comfortable for a shot. If a competent adult had the tag, the hunt would have been over 5 or 6 times that morning.

By late afternoon she was really tired. She is 10 months removed from cancer treatment, and the doctor's primary warning has been to not let her get too fatigued, so I decided that we would try some spot and stalk from a two tracker for the last hour or so of light. We headed over to near where she nearly got a shot that morning, and as I got our gear situated and talked to her a little bit my father in law slowly raised his hand and pointed out into the trees. "I think that's an elk right there?" Sure enough, a lone cow was standing there staring at us. 90 yards away. We had been there for several minutes without making any attempt to be particularly stealthy, yet there she was.

I quickly got my girl's rifle ready and mounted on the tripod at a height where she could take a standing shot. She slipped in behind the stock and settled in for the shot. After what felt like an eternity she still hadn't pulled the trigger and the cow turned quarting towards us a bit hard. She was just about to pull the trigger when that happened, and in frustration she turned to me to ask what to do now. I told her to imagine where the opposite lung would be and shoot along that line. She put the bullet just in front of the near shoulder and it passed through and destroyed the off-side lung. The cow reared up and came down hard. She never took another step.

[Linked Image]

This was her third big game animal in the past year. The first was a doe mule deer, and it was on our way home from that hunt that she got really sick for the first time. That was also a 90 yard shot with no tracking. The second was a javelina that she tagged two weeks after getting out of the hospital. That was another shot opportunity that she was blessed have within a very short and level walk of a good road. It was also a one shot DRT harvest. She's very calm and collected when it comes time to pull the trigger.

She really enjoys being out there with me and gets excited about the hunt when we are there. Unfortunately, there are kids at school who have found out about her hunting and give her a really hard time. It has made her very self-conscious, to the point where she has questioned how long she will continue to go. My wife and I have let her know that we will support her in whatever she decides to do, but we also work pretty hard to counter the negative peer pressure she's been getting. She knows the kids are wrong, and that regulated hunting is a net positive for the environment and for our family, she just needs the self-confidence to stand up for herself.

One thing that I have found helps her get into the hunt is working on the handloads with me. This was the first time she was going to be hunting with anything other than her 223, so I wanted to make sure she had a load that would not beat her up too much. After looking for information on reduced 7mm08 loads I found some information posted by Seafire and sent him a private message. He gave me some ideas on a starting point, and I ended up loading a 139gr Interlock with a MV of 2440 fps. My girl helped me prep the brass and then seated all of the rounds. I had one piece of nickle plated brass, so she decided that would be her lucky bullet...and it was. I was able to recover the bullet. This is what it looked like. I estimate the impact velocity was about 2300 fps, and according to my scale it retained 119gr of weight.

[Linked Image]

The next morning I let my girl and father in law sleep in and went out with my buddy who had been hunting near us the first day with his two daughters, but who had not had any shot opportunities. The forecast called for heavy rain, but the morning started with great conditions, so we struck out to try my original plans A and B. All was going according to plan in the first spot, until we came upon a gut pile from the night before. No matter, I figured that since the elk move through the area both morning and night that perhaps we would find a morning herd that hadn't been buggered up yet. 250 yards further down the ridge we hit another gut pile from the morning before. We decided to try for plan B before the morning got completely away from us.

Plan B didn't turn out any better. There were camps where I had not anticipated anyone would be camping, and evidence that there had been a lot of people who had the same ideas as me. As the storm clouds started to appear on the horizon we decided to head back to camp and get it all put away before it got wet. All three girls have deer and javelina tags after Thanksgiving, so we are hopeful to get the other two some opportunities.

On the whole, I was really pleased with how it worked out for my girl. A big thanks to Seafire for his guidance, and to krp for the logistical support. He let us share his camp and, most importantly, provided a real toilet for the girls to use. Kent was there when I killed my first elk...and nearly my second...and then again when I actually did get my second. He also taught me how reload. His mentorship has been invaluable, and I am really blessed to know him.

Last edited by JackAZ; 10/17/18.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Congrats to the young lady, Continued health!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
good deal I hope for her the best of health

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Congratulations!!
HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS
NOT FOR THEM

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Congratulations to the young lady and her Dad. Glad to hear that she was able to seal the deal on the cow elk.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Great story and pics, thanks for sharing it with us! Congratulations to your daughter, as well!

It’s a shame that kids at school are shaming her for hunting, though. That sort of bullying needs to be addressed, but I won’t spoil this thread with that digression.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good stuff, and congratulations to the young lady!
KRP is a one of the best guys I know.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Heart warming story , thanks .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Congratulations to all participants.

Occasionally remind the young lady that you are eating healthy "free range meat" and thank her for providing it.
Free range cause it is, and to use to counter the antis at school.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Congrats!

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Congratulations young lady hunter!
Hunters are the only tool the Conservation Officers have to manage herd numbers, Thanks for being part of the solution!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JackAZ
My 11 year old daughter had her first cow elk hunt this past weekend on the Mogollon Rim of Arizona. She and I spent some time getting to know the unit a little better this summer. We even put out her first trail camera and got a few pics of some elk and a nice black bear. Two weeks before the hunt I spent an evening driving around with krp looking at some areas where he had some past success.

I went into week of the hunt with what I thought was a solid Plan A and Plan B, but a couple days before the opener a buddy called to tell me that he had seen quite a few elk in another part of the unit during his fall turkey hunt the weekend before. His intel was enticing enough to make me change my mind, and we decided to spend the opening day on that side of the unit.

My father in law and I had her on a herd of elk within minutes of shooting light. She had a broadside cow in her scope at about 100 yards for about 30 seconds, but it kept a brushy tree over its vitals the whole time. It didn't move until it decided to run and take the rest of the herd with it. Throughout that morning we encountered several small herds, but nothing held still long enough for a 70 pound kid to get comfortable for a shot. If a competent adult had the tag, the hunt would have been over 5 or 6 times that morning.

By late afternoon she was really tired. She is 10 months removed from cancer treatment, and the doctor's primary warning has been to not let her get too fatigued, so I decided that we would try some spot and stalk from a two tracker for the last hour or so of light. We headed over to near where she nearly got a shot that morning, and as I got our gear situated and talked to her a little bit my father in law slowly raised his hand and pointed out into the trees. "I think that's an elk right there?" Sure enough, a lone cow was standing there staring at us. 90 yards away. We had been there for several minutes without making any attempt to be particularly stealthy, yet there she was.

I quickly got my girl's rifle ready and mounted on the tripod at a height where she could take a standing shot. She slipped in behind the stock and settled in for the shot. After what felt like an eternity she still hadn't pulled the trigger and the cow turned quarting towards us a bit hard. She was just about to pull the trigger when that happened, and in frustration she turned to me to ask what to do now. I told her to imagine where the opposite lung would be and shoot along that line. She put the bullet just in front of the near shoulder and it passed through and destroyed the off-side lung. The cow reared up and came down hard. She never took another step.

[Linked Image]

This was her third big game animal in the past year. The first was a doe mule deer, and it was on our way home from that hunt that she got really sick for the first time. That was also a 90 yard shot with no tracking. The second was a javelina that she tagged two weeks after getting out of the hospital. That was another shot opportunity that she was blessed have within a very short and level walk of a good road. It was also a one shot DRT harvest. She's very calm and collected when it comes time to pull the trigger.

She really enjoys being out there with me and gets excited about the hunt when we are there. Unfortunately, there are kids at school who have found out about her hunting and give her a really hard time. It has made her very self-conscious, to the point where she has questioned how long she will continue to go. My wife and I have let her know that we will support her in whatever she decides to do, but we also work pretty hard to counter the negative peer pressure she's been getting. She knows the kids are wrong, and that regulated hunting is a net positive for the environment and for our family, she just needs the self-confidence to stand up for herself.

One thing that I have found helps her get into the hunt is working on the handloads with me. This was the first time she was going to be hunting with anything other than her 223, so I wanted to make sure she had a load that would not beat her up too much. After looking for information on reduced 7mm08 loads I found some information posted by Seafire and sent him a private message. He gave me some ideas on a starting point, and I ended up loading a 139gr Interlock with a MV of 2440 fps. My girl helped me prep the brass and then seated all of the rounds. I had one piece of nickle plated brass, so she decided that would be her lucky bullet...and it was. I was able to recover the bullet. This is what it looked like. I estimate the impact velocity was about 2300 fps, and according to my scale it retained 119gr of weight.

[Linked Image]

The next morning I let my girl and father in law sleep in and went out with my buddy who had been hunting near us the first day with his two daughters, but who had not had any shot opportunities. The forecast called for heavy rain, but the morning started with great conditions, so we struck out to try my original plans A and B. All was going according to plan in the first spot, until we came upon a gut pile from the night before. No matter, I figured that since the elk move through the area both morning and night that perhaps we would find a morning herd that hadn't been buggered up yet. 250 yards further down the ridge we hit another gut pile from the morning before. We decided to try for plan B before the morning got completely away from us.

Plan B didn't turn out any better. There were camps where I had not anticipated anyone would be camping, and evidence that there had been a lot of people who had the same ideas as me. As the storm clouds started to appear on the horizon we decided to head back to camp and get it all put away before it got wet. All three girls have deer and javelina tags after Thanksgiving, so we are hopeful to get the other two some opportunities.

On the whole, I was really pleased with how it worked out for my girl. A big thanks to Seafire for his guidance, and to krp for the logistical support. He let us share his camp and, most importantly, provided a real toilet for the girls to use. Kent was there when I killed my first elk...and nearly my second...and then again when I actually did get my second. He also taught me how reload. His mentorship has been invaluable, and I am really blessed to know him.

Well done fellow, that is what parenting is all about.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FANTASTIC! Can't believe I missed this, but thank you so much for sharing. Congratulations to the girl and I hope she continues to hunt. As a parent with kids in the same age range I understand the BS peer pressure they get from other kids. My 12-year-old daughter had one girl tell her she was a murderer for shooting elk, and that all animals were the same so we were basically cannibals. Crazy.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congratulations! I too somehow missed this. Thank you for posing. I had my 12YO nephew in camp this past weekend. We had a blast!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Congrats to all for a great hunt.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thank you for sharing that great hunt!
Your daughter is a fortunate girl to have you guiding her through what I'm sure were/are tough times and providing her with these good times. I also love the acknowledgements and gratitude toward those that have helped you. May you have many more experiences like this with your daughter.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
That is an awesome story. You are blessed to be able to spend quality time with your daughter. I pray that your continued time with her grows leaps and bounds and your love for each other just explodes!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good deal on the elk!

Even better deal on her health! I hope she kills another 50 animals in the years to come. Please give her my very best wishes.

Oh...and you're a good dad +P+!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bump to clear spam off of the homepage

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Great story.

Congratulations and continued good health for your daughter.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
226 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 33 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.