OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Who's got 'em? I don't have any...LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lopping shears are quicker than a bone saw when it comes to cutting off the forelegs.

A couple of 2'x10' plank ATV/Mower ramps and a short rope make loading deer/pigs in the truck much easier

When hunting exposed areas for lengthy amounts of time a paperback book can help you not move your head around too much. Read a page and then scan the area.

If looking for a big doe for the table, let her feed a few minutes and see if another deer is traveling with her. Might be another doe/yearling to give you some scale and see which is biggest. Might be a buck back there too.

Never drink from the jug in the corner of another man's box blind. It probably ain't water in there.

Now with even more aplomb
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by JPro
Lopping shears are quicker than a bone saw when it comes to cutting off the forelegs.

A couple of 2'x10' plank ATV/Mower ramps and a short rope make loading deer/pigs in the truck much easier

When hunting exposed areas for lengthy amounts of time a paperback book can help you not move your head around too much. Read a page and then scan the area.

If looking for a big doe for the table, let her feed a few minutes and see if another deer is traveling with her. Might be another doe/yearling to give you some scale and see which is biggest. Might be a buck back there too.

Never drink from the jug in the corner of another man's box blind. It probably ain't water in there.

LOL...thanks

some interesting tips

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A good shot will kill any deer no matter what is marked on the head stamp.

CK
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Peanut butter is the best bait, cover scent and nutritional supplement you can use.
Plus it guns up squirrels kouths so they don't bark at you.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I was in the sporting goods store looking at some attractants. This time of year I don't want the rut/centered product, it's too late for that, which leads to something food-oriented. If I lived near where I was hunting, I may have spent some time putting out some of those food-based blocks, or get some deer lure/feed from the local feed store. But I think that stuff has to sit there a while for it to work.

I use to know a guy who would put apple cider in a spray bottle and sprays trees with it. Instead, I may spend a few dollars on a couple bags of apples, cut them up, put 'em in a bag, and let them get a little rich with color and odor over the next few days, then spread those out in a few places. Might as well try it while it's still legal.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ringworm
Peanut butter is the best bait, cover scent and nutritional supplement you can use.
Plus it guns up squirrels kouths so they don't bark at you.

i love eating peanuts in the blind, but the varmints can screw that up royal. never heard of using peanut butter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best secret I know of is to live in the middle of some great deer habitat. Get to watch them year 'round and get to know the habits.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Well, there are plenty of deer within a few miles of where I'm sitting, urban area, and they are hiding everywhere

Last edited by sse; 12/03/18.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If we are talking real deer hunting, don’t watch all those silly tv hunting shows. You’ll just waste money and time!

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
IC B3

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Milwroad
If we are talking real deer hunting, don’t watch all those silly tv hunting shows. You’ll just waste money and time!

i don't even have cable, and when i did i think those channels were all premium

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
If some MF on your deer lease pisses you off, get your barber to save all the hair off the floor, scatter it around the the MF’s stand. He won’t see any deer. My female barber told me this, she said it works. They had a sorry MF on her lease.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by hanco
If some MF on your deer lease pisses you off, get your barber to save all the hair off the floor, scatter it around the the MF’s stand. He won’t see any deer. My female barber told me this, she said it works. They had a sorry MF on her lease.

k, well that's nice, but it's kinda the exact opposite of what i'm lookin for at the moment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, how 'bout this one:

If you find a large accumulation of hair around your deer stand, it's probably the neighbors telling you something.

Just kidding.

Seriously? Try this one:
Shamanic Baking Soda Method

Last edited by shaman; 12/03/18.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Buy some good sweet feed, scatter it out like you do corn. Deer really like it. You can also mix strawberry soda in a bucket of corn, deer love it too.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
You can also mix strawberry soda in a bucket of corn, deer love it too.

i'd eat that

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

This is something I started doing after watching deer sniff out and follow my trail a few times where I had earlier walked to my stand, especially when/if using an attractant scent on boots and/or drag. .

Instead of walking directly TO my stand I started walking past and out from it just a little ways then dog-leg back to my stand location.

Doesn't always work but once in a while it can make a difference in spotting the deer before it spots you and getting a chance at a decent kill shot.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JPro

You cut off the forelegs with a saw? Never seen that before. I just use my knife. Always have. Even on moose. Slice the hide, cut the appropriate tendons, twist sideways, cut anything still attached. What the hell is the bone saw for?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by joken2

This is something I started doing after watching deer sniff out and follow my trail a few times where I had earlier walked to my stand, especially when/if using an attractant scent on boots and/or drag. .

Instead of walking directly TO my stand I started walking past and out from it just a little ways then dog-leg back to my stand location.

Doesn't always work but once in a while it can make a difference in spotting the deer before it spots you and getting a chance at a decent kill shot.

i think that's a great idea

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My secrets: #1, few deer are killed from the living room, so outside; now secret #2, get out of your truck and walk, fat ass.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 2,751 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,637
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.