Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
willyp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I am about to rebarrel a REM 700 action, I will be shooting long range varmints with it.

Is it worth blueprinting the action, or should I have the action face squared and the lugs lapped?

America's warriors, the heart of America.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by willyp
I am about to rebarrel a REM 700 action, I will be shooting long range varmints with it.

Is it worth blueprinting the action,
Not IMHO..
or should I have the action face squared and the lugs lapped?
The receiver should always have a new face cut on an unmodified factory unit and I've found that about 90% of the time the bolt lugs should indeed be lapped.

FWIW.. YMMV..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
+1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Lee,

How do you set up in the lathe to cut the action face?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not to outdo Redneck, but I mount the receiver on a mandrel.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jkob

Do you lock it onto the mandrel or use a dog to drive it?

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jkob

How is the mandrel "centered up" in the receiver? Split bushings or the like?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
A SPIDER is a better option for single point truing a receiver.

Lapping is to burnish & not for material removal.

If your 'smith insists on lapping lugs,seek another 'smith.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Dans40X

Lapping is to burnish & not for material removal.

??

Lapping and burnishing are two different things. Lapping removes a small amount of material with abrasive to fit parts together, in this case to provide even bolt contact. Material removal has to happen to achieve that if contact is uneven. Burnishing is just an action of smoothing off the high spots in the surface finish with no abrasive involved.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Against my better judgement I’ll share what I do. The front ring is held in a fixture and I use straight mandrels in .0005” increments to indicate the centerline of the action that the bolt sees. I have used the Gretan mandrel and bushing methods but could never get repeatable indicating results that I was satisfied with, meaning I need to be able to strip it down and reindicate with the same result. I don’t like to remove metal unless I know it’s as perfect as I can get. I have never had an original thought and I give credit to Alex Wheeler for this method. Others might also do this, not sure. I have never tried the hand tools that are available. I get a very nice finish, lapping actually makes it look worse and is not something I do unless specifically directed to. When done the rear of the bolt needs to float with the lugs in contact.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Shooter71, that sounds like a really good method. Do you mind describing your fixture to hold the receiver? Is it something like a cat head mounted in the lathe chuck, or ?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Shooter71,
'Smiths have been indicating receivers before A.Wheeler came into this world.
And have forgotten more than he'll ever know!

If lapping lugs is required,that tells me the 'smith wasn't quite sure of his set-up.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a Remington I just tore down next to one I just cut. You can see there is a lot of room for improvement.

For me, the time is in getting squared up in the lathe. Once it's dialed....it's an extra 15 minute to single point recut the threads....seems like a no brainer.

Attached Images
IMAG0384_zpsbae596e2.jpg (24.31 KB, 118 downloads)

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by high_country_
Here's a Remington I just tore down next to one I just cut. You can see there is a lot of room for improvement.

Like night vs. day. Thanks for the visual.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by high_country_

For me, the time is in getting squared up in the lathe. Once it's dialed....it's an extra 15 minute to single point recut the threads....seems like a no brainer.

Not really.

G
G
I’ve yet to see or have explained to me how a small axial misalignment or being slightly nonconcentric for that matter makes a nickels worth of difference in a radial cut such as truing an action face or bolt face. Unless there’s something wrong with the lathe, the result is going to be perpendicular to the axis. If one is going to after the threads, then yes by all means a spider is a nice way to go as long as it’s not some garbage piece of aluminum sticking a foot out of a four jaw. I’ve machined a collar to fit the outside of the action, trued between centers on a precision mandrel passing through the action and then transferred to the chuck, indicated on the mandrel, removed mandrel, and cut the threads. Don’t like doing it that way, tedious and generally a waste of time. If you go after the lugs chances are your action will be making a trip to Dan to put the bolt handle back where it belongs or it won’t extract right😄.

Money is better spent on a custom action, and a good barrel, the latter being the most important part of the puzzle. If a gunsmith actually charged the amount of time it takes to fully blueprint one at a rate a machine shop charges, it would cost $$$$.

Feel free to straighten me out😄

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by gbf
I’ve yet to see or have explained to me how a small axial misalignment or being slightly nonconcentric for that matter makes a nickels worth of difference in a radial cut such as truing an action face or bolt face. Unless there’s something wrong with the lathe, the result is going to be perpendicular to the axis. If one is going to after the threads, then yes by all means a spider is a nice way to go as long as it’s not some garbage piece of aluminum sticking a foot out of a four jaw. I’ve machined a collar to fit the outside of the action, trued between centers on a precision mandrel passing through the action and then transferred to the chuck, indicated on the mandrel, removed mandrel, and cut the threads. Don’t like doing it that way, tedious and generally a waste of time. If you go after the lugs chances are your action will be making a trip to Dan to put the bolt handle back where it belongs or it won’t extract right😄.

Money is better spent on a custom action, and a good barrel, the latter being the most important part of the puzzle. If a gunsmith actually charged the amount of time it takes to fully blueprint one at a rate a machine shop charges, it would cost $$$$.

Are you assuming your chuck jaws hold the outside of an action so that the bore is true to the spindle axis? LOL. Do you have much machining experience?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by gbf

Are you assuming your chuck jaws hold the outside of an action so that the bore is true to the spindle axis? LOL. Do you have much machining experience?

My question exactly!

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
G
G
More than some and a lot less than others, LOL.

No I am not assuming that. Any time I assume anything with machining I’m quickly proven wrong, haha. I’ve outlined how I do it. Seems to work well enough I guess, but I don’t compete for fake wood these days.

Gun mechanics are a bit like surgeons. The only thing 2 agree on is that the 3rd one probably doesn’t know what he’s doing. 😄

G
G
An assumption I would make though, and probably a pretty safe one, is that Manson’s or Kiff’s action truing kit is likely a money maker for a real gunsmith in terms of time saved while producing a very quality product.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
116 members (257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,768 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.