24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
These don't seem to have many fans out there but I am, and have been, interested in having one. Anyone who owns one now care to chime in on how they hunt?
Anyone who has owned one care to tell why you sold it?
The idea of being able to adjust cast and pitch easily appeals to me but maybe it isn't traditional enough for O/U purists?

I'm shoot4fun on Accurate Shooter Forum and you can see my feedback there.
BP-B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Owl,
Thanks for the reply.
A review by people who review guns for magazines that need industry ads to survive is not what I'm looking for here. I have seen these reviews in many different magazines and online. I want "real world" users to tell me if and why they would /would not spend their dollars again for the 828U.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Depends on who the writer is and their background in shotgunning. If JB here tells me the good or bad about a certain rifle, I'm going to give it strong consideration.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by battue
Depends on who the writer is and their background in shotgunning. If JB here tells me the good or bad about a certain rifle, I'm going to give it strong consideration.

That is very true. I had the opportunity to meet many of the guns scribes of the day thru my industry work and it really isn't hard to pick out the ones who can be trusted to be honest about their opinion on guns they've reviewed. That said, I truly don't want this thread to get derailed by opinions on the ethic of the "gun writers" but, instead, about just what I can expect from the 828U. If JB wants to reply with his take I will be happy to hear it. After all, he gets way more opportunity to wingshoot pheasant and quail where he lives than I do in Alabama.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Probably better choices than the Benelli 828

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just from the video there seems to be more than a little muzzle jump and he is getting rocked with recoil. However, with a 12Gauge and a listed spec of 6 pound 9 ounces, I'm not surprised.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
One of the guys I shoot sporting clays with bought one for his wife as she liked the light weight when shouldering it in the store. In the sporting clays field, she learned that light weight comes with a price in recoil and hitting. That lesson was further forced home when she used the gun in the field. It carried well but the weight was not conducive for her to use effectively.

They took a substantial hit trading it in on a different gun. I wish I would have had a chance to shoot it but they did not have it long enough for me to get the opportunity.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
One of the guys I shoot sporting clays with bought one for his wife as she liked the light weight when shouldering it in the store. In the sporting clays field, she learned that light weight comes with a price in recoil and hitting. That lesson was further forced home when she used the gun in the field. It carried well but the weight was not conducive for her to use effectively.

They took a substantial hit trading it in on a different gun. I wish I would have had a chance to shoot it but they did not have it long enough for me to get the opportunity.

I too noticed the seemingly harsh recoil of the slo-mo and I have had one of the 828's in hand. I already own an older Beretta 391 Sporting 12ga, 1301 Tactical (3-gun), Silver Pigeon 20 ga and a Browning 725 Sporting with 32" barrels. The 828 for me would be nothing but a hunting gun. Maybe I should just stay with what I already have.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd rather have a Remington 3200

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fubarguy
I'd rather have a Remington 3200

3200 shotguns were last sold around these parts for next to nothing. Looks like they command well more now than when I was offered a new one for $500 a few years ago.
I didn't like it then and wouldn't appreciate one any more now, but that's just me.
I'm starting to think I should just be happy with what I have. That sent little Silver Pigeon sure hunted well today on the five mile walk in the brush.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It looks to be a way to do away with traditional O/U manufacture using the same people and robots that build their semi-autos. I don't care for them one bit but that is just my opinion.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Seems like the OP wants a hunting shotgun. A Rem 3200 would quickly become an albatross in the game ffield.

Last edited by battue; 12/04/18.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Beretta owns Benelli, Why not get a nice second hand or new Beretta 686 and forget about it. I had two hunting lodges in South America. My rental guns got put through the wringer. Never broke a Beretta.

Last edited by martineta; 12/05/18.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by martineta
Beretta owns Benelli, Why not get a nice second hand or new Beretta 686 and forget about it. I had two hunting lodges in South America. My rental guns got put through the wringer. Never broke a Beretta.

I totally agree with your confidence in Beretta. I have a 15 year old 12GA Beretta 391 that has never had one single hiccup in the field or the range and it has been fed every brand and price range of shell out there.
I already have a Beretta 686 O/U 20GA as well and love it out in the field (light weight).
My interest in the 828U is, well, just that. I was thinking about how I've owned O/U shotguns in the past that just didn't fit my 6'4" frame and 36" sleeve and how the shims for cast/pitch might be a good thing for me.
My reasoning for this thread is to get feedback on the 828 before I wind up having a shotgun in the safe that I don't (nor anyone else) like. It seems like I am getting the answer I was looking for too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
114 members (32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.