Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
My hunting buddy has blown through his HanWags in two years and is fed up with dealing with corner cutting and garbage being put out these days. I agree. I just picked up a new pair of HanWags to replace an aging pair and can already tell they aren’t what the old ones were. He has used mountaineering/ heavy leather boots for years and this seems to be a trend. One of his co-workers hunts exclusively in La Sportiva Evo’s and swears by them. Does anyone have experience with them? Thanks.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use them for high mountain hunting in late Autumn and Winter hunts. They are at their best in steep, rocky terrain, and handle snow quite well. Warm and stiff, I do not recommend them for other than cold weather, or for long treks on flat terrain, either.
They accept automatic crampons.
As a side note, they are the standard winter boot for hunting guides in the French Alps, where I have been hunting Chamois sixteen years in a row. A real classic, and there is where I became familiar with them,
They are my favourite among Hanwags, Meindls, Asolos and Lowas that have used, and some of which I still use.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Great Boot have never used for hunting. As Chamois stated I would not want to hike flat normal terrain in them. Climbing they shine bright.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sheep hunting buddy got a pair after blowing out his boots the year before. He raved about them. He ran them for at least 4 years - maybe longer. I haven't hunted with him in a while.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have settled on the Sportiva trango boots. They work for me and I’ve tried a closet full. The trango evo s has been replaced with the trango cube. Very light, not too stiff......soles are soft and grippy, but they wear fast
Don

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My guide calls them “pink slippers”......he can easily out distance me in his crappy worn out boots, tho

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
My hunting buddy has blown through his HanWags in two years and is fed up with dealing with corner cutting and garbage being put out these days. I agree. I just picked up a new pair of HanWags to replace an aging pair and can already tell they aren’t what the old ones were. He has used mountaineering/ heavy leather boots for years and this seems to be a trend. One of his co-workers hunts exclusively in La Sportiva Evo’s and swears by them. Does anyone have experience with them? Thanks.

It’s interesting you post this. I also recently purchased a new pair of Yukons and noticed the decline almost immediately. Still nice boots, but not quite what they use to be. Now made in Croatia as well.

I have buddy’s who own the Nepals and like them. But they are a different class of boot IMO. More like the Hanwag Omegas- which I own and like a ton- than the Yukon’s. Guess it depends what a guy needs from his boots.

I’ll be looking for another leather-lined boot option soon. Perhaps Lowa LL or even a old school Norwegian welt boot, like the Alico Guide. Who knows, shame Hanwag seems to be going down the road of so many other manufactures, profits over quality.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sportiva makes good boots, a bit narrow but very high quality. I used them for hunting and mountaineering for almost 20 years but I’m on the crispi train now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used Trango Cubes on a sheep hunt in the Brooks Range last year and they were great. My only complaint was that, after several days of crossing streams, etc., I couldn't get them to dry. I have hard-to-fit feet and these and the Salomon Quests are the only boots that have never given me trouble.
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,439
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.