Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
GOOD CHEAP BINOCULARS!

Over the past quarter-century the overall quality of binoculars has gone up—and the price in relationship to quality has gone down. Well, except for so-called “alpha” glass from the Big Three in Europe. Largely due to exchange rates, the prices for the best binoculars from Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss have gone up considerably in the past few years. I got my Leica Duovid 8+12x42, one of my favorite binoculars, about 10 years ago when the Duovids were first introduced. Back then the 8+12 retailed for around $1300. Since then the real-world price has almost doubled to around $2500, and the top binoculars from Swarovski and Zeiss are in the same price range.
Now, alpha glass is certainly among the best in the world, but quite a few other binoculars come really, really close at a fraction of the cost. The first non-alpha roof-prism that really impressed me was the now-discontinued Pentax DCF WP, which also came out around a decade ago. Made in Japan, the optics were so good that when on a prairie dog shoot hosted by Ramshot Powders in eastern Montana, I asked several of the attendees to look through the Pentax and a European binocular of the same magnification and objective size, and see which one they liked best.
The logos were covered with tape so the test wouldn’t be prejudiced by name-brand. About 3/4 of the testers said they two binoculars were about equal, while the other quarter picked the Pentax. Nobody picked the European brand. At the time the Pentax retailed for around $600, while the Euro-glass went around $1000.
Now, I’m not going to tell you the name of the alpha, because the optics market changes so fast that neither binocular is the same anymore. But I can say that there are even better binoculars on the market right now for much less than $600, largely due to the emergence of Chinese optics.
Now, you probably have some feelings about Chinese products. Most of us do, but the fact is Chinese glass is here, and the companies that sell it are usually American, though some are more American than others. Hawke Optics, for instance, is one of the top optics suppliers in Europe, but has had an American office in Indiana for a number of years. Their binoculars are apparently engineered in Japan and mostly made in China. Another new optics company, Kruger, also designs and engineers all their optics (and even assembles some) in Sisters, Oregon. Their sales office is in California and their “logistics” office in Shanghai.
So, like many modern companies, a lot of these new “Chinese” optics companies are actually multi-national. It’s really rare these days for any company to design and manufacture every part of all their products under one roof. Even the alpha optical companies buy some parts from elsewhere, and in the last year Zeiss introduced a spotting scope they’re having made to their specifications in Japan. Another non-alpha but highly regarded European optics firm has been having their binoculars made in Japan for several years. I can’t tell you which one, due to promising not to, but the interesting thing is the Japanese version is slightly but noticeably better.
This multi-national production has resulted in very fine binoculars at very affordable prices. The 10x43 roof-prism binoculars from Hawke (Frontier ED) retail for around $450, and the Kruger Back Country roof-prism 10x50 I’ve recently been testing retails for less than $300. All have really good glass.
The return of Porro-prism binoculars has dropped the price of good glass even further. Back when I started hunting in the 1960’s, most hunters used Porro-prism binoculars rather than roof-prisms, because their optical system is inherently sharper, and they’re cheaper to manufacture. Roof prism binoculars are somewhat smaller in the same magnification/objective size, a little stronger, and easier to seal against moisture, but there really wasn’t a contest in optics or price. It wasn’t until after the introduction of phase-correction coatings in the 1990’s that roof-prism binoculars started dominating the market.
In the past few years, however, manufacturers have figured out how to seal Porro-prism binoculars. As a result, many darn good and very inexpensive Porro binoculars have appeared on the market. Among the best-known are the Leupold Yosemites, especially the 6x30, a light little glass with very good optics, for a real-world price of under $100.
Some of you are probably thinking: “Well, these optical bargains sound good, but how do they work in actual hunting? Don’t more expensive binoculars hold up better?” Well, maybe, though even alpha glass varies in toughness. In 2009, however, I put several “affordable” binoculars to real hunting tests, after all had been used considerably for local hunting in Montana and held up fine.
The first test was a bear hunt in Alaska, a state not usually kind to any hunting equipment. It started out as a black bear hunt with Stoney River Outfitters. My guide was a young Pennsylvanian named Zack Farmer, who’d just spent over $1000 on a European binocular. My Chinese 10x43, however, was noticeably better, so after I got my bear and flew out of our spike camp back to the main lodge to do a little flyfishing for salmon, I left it with Zack for the remaining two months of his guiding season, figuring that would be a very good test. It held up just fine.
After the Super Cub landed back to the lodge I was informed there’d been a cancellation by a grizzly bear hunter, and the cancelled hunt was really affordable. I was flown out to another camp to hunt with guide Bryce Johnson, and took along my backup binocular, a 6x30 Yosemite. Bryce had an alpha binocular with somewhat more magnification, but it really isn’t hard to spot bears across open tundra, and the Yosemite proved quite adequate, even when my grizzly finally showed up about a mile away. (Here it should be mentioned that Phil Shoemaker, the well-known Alaskan brown bear outfitter and magazine writer, uses a 6x30 Yosemite. Actually he has three, I believe, figuring if one gets accidentally squashed or lost while hunting he’s only out $80, and can re-equip with one of the backups at camp.)
When the opportunity for another cancellation hunt came up later in the fall I took along a Hawke 10x43 Frontier ED. This was a mule deer hunt in Alberta with a company I’ve hunted with several times before for game from waterfowl to moose, Ameri-Cana Outfitters. The hunt was half-price, so Eileen and I could both hunt for the regular price of one hunt—though even at half-price each of our hunts cost more than an average Montana or Wyoming mule deer hunts.
Eileen took her favorite hunting binocular, a Swarovski 8x32 EL, while our guide Ron Carlson had an older Porro-prism Zeiss. The hunt started the first of November, before the rut had really started, and on the fourth day I spotted two good bucks together, close to a mile away across a wide creekbottom. No doubt either Eileen or Ron could have first spotted them, since they both picked them up quickly in their Euro-glass, but the fact remains that the Hawke worked quite nicely—and hunting mule deer on the Alberta prairies is very much a glassing game. We watched while the bucks wandered up a gentle ridge to find a place to bed, then started our stalk. An hour later one of the bucks stood up from some knee-high brush about 275 yards away, and Eileen dropped it, whereupon the other buck stood up, wondering what happened to his buddy, and I shot him.
So yeah, today’s affordable binoculars can really hunt, whether they cost $80 or $450. If you can’t justify spending $2500 for binoculars, or even $1000, don’t feel bad, because there’s some really good glass out there for really good prices.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great post - John!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’m sure there are great binoculars below the $1k price point. I just bought a Leica HD 8x42 and I could not be more pleased. I could pick out a bedded cow elk turn her head and make out the ears a little over 2,000 yards away on a recent Colorado hunt. Not so sure I would have had that resolution with my old binos. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never could figure out paying 4 times more for a glass that is 2 or 5 % better, sometimes not better. Buy what pleases your eyes and glass away.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
GOOD CHEAP BINOCULARS!

Over the past quarter-century the overall quality of binoculars has gone up—and the price in relationship to quality has gone down. Well, except for so-called “alpha” glass from the Big Three in Europe. Largely due to exchange rates, the prices for the best binoculars from Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss have gone up considerably in the past few years. I got my Leica Duovid 8+12x42, one of my favorite binoculars, about 10 years ago when the Duovids were first introduced. Back then the 8+12 retailed for around $1300. Since then the real-world price has almost doubled to around $2500, and the top binoculars from Swarovski and Zeiss are in the same price range.
Now, alpha glass is certainly among the best in the world, but quite a few other binoculars come really, really close at a fraction of the cost. The first non-alpha roof-prism that really impressed me was the now-discontinued Pentax DCF WP, which also came out around a decade ago. Made in Japan, the optics were so good that when on a prairie dog shoot hosted by Ramshot Powders in eastern Montana, I asked several of the attendees to look through the Pentax and a European binocular of the same magnification and objective size, and see which one they liked best.
The logos were covered with tape so the test wouldn’t be prejudiced by name-brand. About 3/4 of the testers said they two binoculars were about equal, while the other quarter picked the Pentax. Nobody picked the European brand. At the time the Pentax retailed for around $600, while the Euro-glass went around $1000.
Now, I’m not going to tell you the name of the alpha, because the optics market changes so fast that neither binocular is the same anymore. But I can say that there are even better binoculars on the market right now for much less than $600, largely due to the emergence of Chinese optics.
Now, you probably have some feelings about Chinese products. Most of us do, but the fact is Chinese glass is here, and the companies that sell it are usually American, though some are more American than others. Hawke Optics, for instance, is one of the top optics suppliers in Europe, but has had an American office in Indiana for a number of years. Their binoculars are apparently engineered in Japan and mostly made in China. Another new optics company, Kruger, also designs and engineers all their optics (and even assembles some) in Sisters, Oregon. Their sales office is in California and their “logistics” office in Shanghai.
So, like many modern companies, a lot of these new “Chinese” optics companies are actually multi-national. It’s really rare these days for any company to design and manufacture every part of all their products under one roof. Even the alpha optical companies buy some parts from elsewhere, and in the last year Zeiss introduced a spotting scope they’re having made to their specifications in Japan. Another non-alpha but highly regarded European optics firm has been having their binoculars made in Japan for several years. I can’t tell you which one, due to promising not to, but the interesting thing is the Japanese version is slightly but noticeably better.
This multi-national production has resulted in very fine binoculars at very affordable prices. The 10x43 roof-prism binoculars from Hawke (Frontier ED) retail for around $450, and the Kruger Back Country roof-prism 10x50 I’ve recently been testing retails for less than $300. All have really good glass.
The return of Porro-prism binoculars has dropped the price of good glass even further. Back when I started hunting in the 1960’s, most hunters used Porro-prism binoculars rather than roof-prisms, because their optical system is inherently sharper, and they’re cheaper to manufacture. Roof prism binoculars are somewhat smaller in the same magnification/objective size, a little stronger, and easier to seal against moisture, but there really wasn’t a contest in optics or price. It wasn’t until after the introduction of phase-correction coatings in the 1990’s that roof-prism binoculars started dominating the market.
In the past few years, however, manufacturers have figured out how to seal Porro-prism binoculars. As a result, many darn good and very inexpensive Porro binoculars have appeared on the market. Among the best-known are the Leupold Yosemites, especially the 6x30, a light little glass with very good optics, for a real-world price of under $100.
Some of you are probably thinking: “Well, these optical bargains sound good, but how do they work in actual hunting? Don’t more expensive binoculars hold up better?” Well, maybe, though even alpha glass varies in toughness. In 2009, however, I put several “affordable” binoculars to real hunting tests, after all had been used considerably for local hunting in Montana and held up fine.
The first test was a bear hunt in Alaska, a state not usually kind to any hunting equipment. It started out as a black bear hunt with Stoney River Outfitters. My guide was a young Pennsylvanian named Zack Farmer, who’d just spent over $1000 on a European binocular. My Chinese 10x43, however, was noticeably better, so after I got my bear and flew out of our spike camp back to the main lodge to do a little flyfishing for salmon, I left it with Zack for the remaining two months of his guiding season, figuring that would be a very good test. It held up just fine.
After the Super Cub landed back to the lodge I was informed there’d been a cancellation by a grizzly bear hunter, and the cancelled hunt was really affordable. I was flown out to another camp to hunt with guide Bryce Johnson, and took along my backup binocular, a 6x30 Yosemite. Bryce had an alpha binocular with somewhat more magnification, but it really isn’t hard to spot bears across open tundra, and the Yosemite proved quite adequate, even when my grizzly finally showed up about a mile away. (Here it should be mentioned that Phil Shoemaker, the well-known Alaskan brown bear outfitter and magazine writer, uses a 6x30 Yosemite. Actually he has three, I believe, figuring if one gets accidentally squashed or lost while hunting he’s only out $80, and can re-equip with one of the backups at camp.)
When the opportunity for another cancellation hunt came up later in the fall I took along a Hawke 10x43 Frontier ED. This was a mule deer hunt in Alberta with a company I’ve hunted with several times before for game from waterfowl to moose, Ameri-Cana Outfitters. The hunt was half-price, so Eileen and I could both hunt for the regular price of one hunt—though even at half-price each of our hunts cost more than an average Montana or Wyoming mule deer hunts.
Eileen took her favorite hunting binocular, a Swarovski 8x32 EL, while our guide Ron Carlson had an older Porro-prism Zeiss. The hunt started the first of November, before the rut had really started, and on the fourth day I spotted two good bucks together, close to a mile away across a wide creekbottom. No doubt either Eileen or Ron could have first spotted them, since they both picked them up quickly in their Euro-glass, but the fact remains that the Hawke worked quite nicely—and hunting mule deer on the Alberta prairies is very much a glassing game. We watched while the bucks wandered up a gentle ridge to find a place to bed, then started our stalk. An hour later one of the bucks stood up from some knee-high brush about 275 yards away, and Eileen dropped it, whereupon the other buck stood up, wondering what happened to his buddy, and I shot him.
So yeah, today’s affordable binoculars can really hunt, whether they cost $80 or $450. If you can’t justify spending $2500 for binoculars, or even $1000, don’t feel bad, because there’s some really good glass out there for really good prices.

Great post. I have been very impressed with Vortex Crossfire at a reasonable price.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Great stuff MD. However, you obviously didn't read this thread:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13314281/1

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
John- I will agree that some of the lesser binoculars are ok. I could probably hunt the rest of my life with a pair of Vortex Viper HD 10X42 binoculars and be pretty happy. Teaching is my profession so I don't get to spend the hunting time that others do. I know how good those vipers which are made in China are. However, there is this. Swarovski explains to you in their seminars that nobody just bellies up to the bar and buys a pair of ELs. They are out hunting with somebody who has a pair and that person is seeing all of the game and they can't with the binoculars that they have. I do get to do hunts every once in a while. When I do go hunting I want the very best rifle the best scope the best spotter the best tent and the best binoculars that are available. My time is that valuable. I have been out with hunters with the aforementioned Vipers and while they could see dots that looked like snow patches I could make out rams or ewes. This was during the nastiest possible conditions on one of the nastiest places on the planet that you can't get to now unless you can fork over 25,000. Nobody else can even get you in there. I sell probably 15 pairs of Vipers to each pair of ELs or SFs or Noctovids when I am selling binoculars part time. So when I hear of somebody who spends 3000.00 for their rifle set up, 15,000 for their side by side, 70,000 for their big diesel dually and thousands of dollars on high end goretex camo but they are unwilling to buy the best optics for them I take a pause. It is kind of like planning a vacation to florida and packing everything except for sunscreen. Most of the posters on this forum have the money, the time or the opportunity to get alpha binoculars that they might use for the rest of their lifetimes. Those that don't probably are working hard to that end.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Great info, as always. Thanks for sharing.

I found some private label 8x32 binocs that I liked better than the alphas to which I compared them. That they were only 15% as much was just icing on the cake.

Like shoes, or bourbon, our individual tastes may not conform to popular opinions. Get what works for you, and apologize to no one.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tag

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
JG,

Ha! I did read that thread--and then, because I also "collect" optics, figured out that I also might have $35,000 in optics "other than scopes." Somehow they keep showing up, so I can compare various brands--and have others compare them as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
kabuko,

Apparently you (along with probably many others) did NOT notice that nowhere did I say that "alpha" optics aren't the best in the world. The very best alphas are, or at least among the best.

What I was pointing out was that non-alpha optics have caught up considerably in the last 25 years or so, now and then even surpassing certain alpha brands. This forced the alphas to up their game. I have seen this again and again, both because I have the opportunity to test various binoculars and spotting scopes side-by-side in varying conditions, and because I've had that same opportunity constantly for almost 30 years.

If you sincerely believe that all non-alpha binoculars will only show "dots that look like snow-patches" when you can make out rams or ewes, then you haven't looked through enough non-alpha binoculars. It's also interesting that Japanese cameras have dominated the professional photography market for over 25 years. Why is that, if alpha Euro-optics are so obviously superior?

You obviously didn't read closely enough to understand that I have plenty of alpha binoculars and spotting scopes, and am not about to give them up--though I have given SOME up in the past, when other brands surpassed them. That is the way capitalist competition works, and the reason that not only alpha optics but "non alphas" keep improving. There are indeed $500 binoculars these days that are better than the alphas of 25 years ago.

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I use cheap binoculars.
For the last 4 plus decades I have used only 2 pair of Zeiss binoculars, 8x for brush hunting and 10x for open country.
Paid less than $100 for each .

I think bino's are obsolete technology unless they also contain a rangefinder. That would be the only enticement for me.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
John: I got a really good pair of binocs about five years ago, a make/model you had reviewed very favorably, and in fact THE pair you had reviewed favorably, for something south of $150, thanks to our mutual friend BJ of Helena. I have alpha glass too, but this unit is my wife's favorite, and they are often my go-to as well.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have had Kahles and Zeiss binoculars, my current binoculars are an inexpensive pair of Bushnell which I am happy with. I have checked out the Vortex line of binoculars and was very impressed with the quality, for the price I feel they represent an excellent value.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I probably don't have $35,000 in binoculars but I do have quite a few. I used to have many more and gave many away to family and starting hunters. I didn't write the Bible in optics so I really don't have a dog in the fight. However, I do see a problem. A lot of people expect a pair of $400 - 650 binoculars to stand up to the alphas and they are close. This is when you check their optical clarity, sweet spots, chromatic aberration, field of view, eye relief and even the eye strain generated. They bank on what you say as a writer and when you tell them that their pair of hawke 10X42s are a good as EL 10X42svs they believe you. That part time job gives me a lot of insight in how many of those second tier binoculars stand up to bad conditions. We have failures in every brand including the alphas. However, the toughest thing that I see that believe a lower or mid tier pair of binoculars is better than the alphas. They might have a pair of diamondbacks that are whacked out of alignment and you get head aches just from looking through them. The owner sometimes will bring them in and we send them off to get fixed but nobody is happy. I have a pair of Glanz 8X30 porro prisms that I bought at an auction for 5$.

https://ibb.co/bXQ6Ss1

The thing is with these binoculars that even if they are just coated they can run with mid tier binoculars made today.

If I had a budget I would research old brands of occupied Japanese binoculars and get a pair like these. You probably could get them for almost free. Why would you. The US government paid for german optics people from Zeiss to teach the Japanese to make top tier binoculars. Some of them are still right there. Its not the coatings which are fair but give a bluish tint but the optical quality of the glass and who worked grinding the glass to perfection.

Again I probably don't know that much but I try.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All I got out of this was phil shoemaker has 3 binoculars of the same make.. and the op he got a bear hunt in alaska on the cheap.. oh and don't waste your money on 10 power binos get 6 power. And go to Alberta for a deer hunt..

Last edited by 79S; 12/04/18.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I probably don't have $35,000 in binoculars but I do have quite a few. I used to have many more and gave many away to family and starting hunters. I didn't write the Bible in optics so I really don't have a dog in the fight. However, I do see a problem. A lot of people expect a pair of $400 - 650 binoculars to stand up to the alphas and they are close. This is when you check their optical clarity, sweet spots, chromatic aberration, field of view, eye relief and even the eye strain generated. They bank on what you say as a writer and when you tell them that their pair of hawke 10X42s are a good as EL 10X42svs they believe you. That part time job gives me a lot of insight in how many of those second tier binoculars stand up to bad conditions. We have failures in every brand including the alphas. However, the toughest thing that I see that believe a lower or mid tier pair of binoculars is better than the alphas. They might have a pair of diamondbacks that are whacked out of alignment and you get head aches just from looking through them. The owner sometimes will bring them in and we send them off to get fixed but nobody is happy. I have a pair of Glanz 8X30 porro prisms that I bought at an auction for 5$.

https://ibb.co/bXQ6Ss1

The thing is with these binoculars that even if they are just coated they can run with mid tier binoculars made today.

If I had a budget I would research old brands of occupied Japanese binoculars and get a pair like these. You probably could get them for almost free. Why would you. The US government paid for german optics people from Zeiss to teach the Japanese to make top tier binoculars. Some of them are still right there. Its not the coatings which are fair but give a bluish tint but the optical quality of the glass and who worked grinding the glass to perfection.

Again I probably don't know that much but I try.

He did not say, or represent, anything close to what you say he posted. Read it again.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have been using some Pentax for several years now. Very happy with them. No distortion toward the edges. Easy to adjust. While a bit heavy because of being porro, a harness makes it easy to carry them. My neighbor had a hot shot pair he was proud of. I compared. No question my very affordable Pentax was superior.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a Swift "Ultra Lite" 8x42 and Pentax 8x42 DCF HR II. All the binocular I'll ever need.Thanks for the write up John.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Great post. It really is incredible how far the dollar stretches in binos today. I think a good $350-500 pair of binos, such as the Vipers, BX4, Tract, Monarch 7, etc., is all the vast majority would ever need to purchase for a lifetime of hunting. I'll be the first to admit that if I am going on a guided hunt, I'm bringing the best I have. However, I have noticed that the guides often don't have "alpha" glass and still have no problem finding game.

Last edited by TxHunter80; 12/04/18.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1lesfox, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 51 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.