Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
But at least they got a GoFundMe set up!

It is worthwhile to see the photos at the link.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anc...m_term=0_0facd10a14-909e63f9f3-246094345

Anchorage
Eagle River couple feels lucky after home collapses in earthquake
pencil Author: Matt Tunseth clock Updated: 10 hours ago calendar Published 1 day ago

Nobody got quite as lucky Friday as Logan Cushman.

The Eagle River man was in bed when shockwaves from a magnitude 7.0 earthquake ripped directly through the neighborhood, instantly turning the split-level home he shares with husband Rick Walburn into a ranch.

“The only way I can describe it is it felt like a plane was crashing into the house,” Cushman said Sunday as he and Walburn surveyed the collapsed home on Dome Circle.

He said he wasn’t too concerned by the first jolt of the quake, but soon the house began to shake violently and the noise became a thunderous roar.

“When the house began to collapse, it just went to a different level,” he said.

The couple haven’t been able to return to the home, which collapsed onto the garage and split in two at the living room. Still inside are Cushman’s car, as well as key personal documents and almost all their possessions. They’re not sure when — or if — they’ll be able to get inside to salvage any of their belongings.

“The worst part is we don’t know what is going to happen,” said Walburn.

The couple have renters’ insurance but don’t think it’ll come close to covering their loss. But all in all, they feel fortunate.

“There’s so many ways we’re lucky,” Walburn said.

Walburn is a vocalist and pianist for the 9th Army Band. He had just finished doing physical training on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson when the quake struck. Under typical circumstances, he would have been home that morning, but he’d decided to shower at the gym instead of at home like he usually does. He called his husband immediately after the quake. When Cushman told him “the house is sideways,” Walburn was incredulous.

“I thought he was being dramatic,” Walburn said.

He wasn’t.

After the house collapsed around him, Cushman grabbed a laptop and his terrier mix Dolly and started looking for a way out. The garage was completely blocked, as was the way to the exercise room — home to a brand-new treadmill with a total of 3 miles on it. He was finally able to squeeze out the front door with Dolly but had to leave their golden retriever mix Sasha behind. The cat, Nora, was MIA.

The couple’s neighbor, Jason Sebring, sprang into action and helped get Sasha out of the house. Soon, Walburn arrived and managed to coax Nora out, too.

[Support local journalism in Alaska. Subscribe to the Anchorage Daily News / adn.com]

The couple is originally from South Carolina; they’ve been married since 2013 but only moved to Alaska in July. When Cushman’s family heard about his ordeal, they “freaked.”

“They were adamant about me coming and visiting them,” he said.

The couple plans to return to South Carolina to visit family soon, but in the meantime they’ve got to figure out what to do next. Fortunately, Cushman’s employer (he’s a shift supervisor at Starbucks) has offered to get them a hotel room, and friends put them up Friday and Saturday night.

There’s also a Facebook fundraiser set up by Cushman and a Gofundme.com fundraiser created by Crystal Sebring — the wife of the man who helped get the couple’s dog out of the damaged home.

“There’s just been an outpouring of emotion,” Cushman said. “Everybody has just been amazing.”

The couple said its rental company, RPM, has been extremely helpful by trying to help them find a new place and waiving any fees associated with moving.

For now, they’re just thankful to have each other and their pets, and that the quake didn’t do more damage.

“This was something I’ll definitely never forget,” Cushman said as he stared at a large crack in the driveway running directly to the home.

The couple have shown a few friends and co-workers the damage, but Walburn said he has a hard time looking at the collapsed house and wondering what might have happened if he’d decided to come home to shower.

“You can’t get it until you look at it,” he said. “But seeing it is scary every time.”

Related stories:

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh [bleep] they have plenty of on post housing for this power couple.. all they have to do is go to housing and they will have them government qtrs in no time..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are not a "couple" but, they are certainly a pair.
Hope they get made whole again someday.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"I thought he was being dramatic."

Best line in the story.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well bugger me

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think this is the house they were renting.

[Linked Image]

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nevermind, got them mixed up.

Last edited by FishinHank; 12/04/18. Reason: Brainfart
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good thing the laptop made it out.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
"I thought he was being dramatic."

Best line in the story.

+1

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
That House is right in the neighborhood right below me, pretty weird because I watched their video on facebook I swear it looks like they had wood pony walls that collapsed under the slab of concrete that was in the garage. I mean is that even legal to be built like that in being, having the crawl space under the cars !!!! I know mine has the 4 foot cinderblock footings all around it but my slab is solid with gravel under it. And my god even if I was renting ain`t no one going to keep me from going in and getting my stuff that matters , house is wood it ain`t brick and gas got shut off. I doubt its really going to fall down any further. Aaron

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by aaron10
That House is right in the neighborhood right below me, pretty weird because I watched their video on facebook I swear it looks like they had wood pony walls that collapsed under the slab of concrete that was in the garage. I mean is that even legal to be built like that in being, having the crawl space under the cars !!!! I know mine has the 4 foot cinderblock footings all around it but my slab is solid with gravel under it. And my god even if I was renting ain`t no one going to keep me from going in and getting my stuff that matters , house is wood it ain`t brick and gas got shut off. I doubt its really going to fall down any further. Aaron

There was a time, mid to late '80s IIRC, when "Cheminite" foundations were all the rage for cheap and easy construction. So you are probably right, poured footers with treated wood walls and piers. I have seen plenty of garages built that way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's almost funny, in a morbid sort of way, how there are people who build so shoddily in short-frequency, hazard prone areas, yet expect the earth to remain stable when it comes to long-cycle swings in climate.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eagle River doesn't require building permits or inspections.

I'm sure the greater damage in Eagle River has more to do with soils and proximity to the epicenter, but you gotta wonder...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

I'm sure the greater damage in Eagle River has more to do with soils and proximity to the epicenter, but you gotta wonder...

A little light in the foundations???

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That house looks like one in Eaglewood that was a few streets away from me when I lived there.

Never was overly impressed with the construction quality.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless there are armed watchmen present, I would be retrieving my stuff.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Are you sure of that? I am pretty sure they would follow the same rules as Anchorage, heck even the valley has adopted Anchorage's building codes/standards in new construction areas.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
Unless there are armed watchmen present, I would be retrieving my stuff.

They probably set the security alarms on "anti-mincing" and that scared them off...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dicing ok?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Hudge

Are you sure of that? I am pretty sure they would follow the same rules as Anchorage, heck even the valley has adopted Anchorage's building codes/standards in new construction areas.

Eagle River Alaska Building Permit
Whether an individual is purchasing a new home or building with the intention of adding on, or they are a current owner who is just looking to making some renovations, it is always vital that a Eagle River AK building permit is obtained. While the process of procuring a building permit in Eagle River Alaska might seem daunting to some, it is really a simple, step-by-step process. It is important to remember that even if the paperwork seems complicated and overwhelming, a building permit in Eagle River AK is designed to protect the owner as well as anyone else with a connection to the property.

One of the primary purposes of a Eagle River Alaska building permit is to protect the owner of the property. Bearing this in mind, there is no question that obtaining a Eagle River AK building permit is beneficial to the owner and is not something that should be avoided or overlooked. When work is done on a property with the proper building permit in Eagle River Alaska in place, it can actually help to protect the property value, as well as making any future sale of the property easier.

Many property insurance providers will not issue a policy without the property owner having the appropriate building permit in Eagle River AK, and for this reason as well, the owner should not hesitate to obtain any needed building permit in Eagle River Alaska. Furthermore, when a building permit in Eagle River AK is procured, it can increase the level of safety on the property as a whole. Finally, one of the most motivating reasons that an owner needs to have a Eagle River Alaska building permit is because it is the law. No one wants to end up breaking the law in order to add a few square feet to their property, and any trouble with the legal system can be avoided by simply obtaining a Eagle River AK building permit before any renovations begin.

Copy/paste obviously

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 1,789 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,614
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.