Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was sneaking around in the woods today when I heard a deer blow up the hill near a windfall blowdown. My Binos revealed a doe kinda looking towards me at about 90 yds. I steadied my Tikka 7mag across a deadfall limb near me, and took the shot. Then I saw deer body move through the limbs... I aimed and shot again... then more body parts moving around.. so i shot again and it flopped over. WOW... I got one. Upon inspection... three deer lay behind the blowdown... two does and a yearling. I then panicked and hid the yearling under another windfall. Attached my two public land does tags and drug them down the hill in the opposite direction of my van, so I could drive around to them instead of a long drag back to my van... making for a closer drag with two deer to the closer road. As I'm walking back to my van... I'm thinking about what am I going to do with that yearling. I NEVER WASTE game, but what was I going to do.... and I wasn't happy about even shooting that second doe because one is enough per hunt ... NOT TWO .... let alone three. At my van the Badge Boys showed up with many questions. I instantly told them the story about the two does, and that one was an accident, in case two per day was illegal.,,which it's not... but i wasn't sure. They wanted to see the gut piles... where I shot from... and where the does lay... so I took them back and showed them everything except the yearling. The whole time my gut was turning over and over as the Holy Spirit was convicting me of that lie. Finally one guy said.. you shot three times and only killed two deer... I said yes sir... but then after walking another 10 steps I stopped, turned around to them and said... no... I killed three, and that I cannot lie about it any longer...do what you must, but I cannot tell you another lie. I then showed them the yearling and all hell broke loose with them and with my conscience of guilt for denying the Lord with that lie.

I tried to explain that both second and third deer were accidents... but it was all about the deception and lie... which I totally understood. I knew I had to come clean in order to live clean, because lying is never a part of my lifestyle. I'm always preaching against lying, and I knew i would be tested, but when it came, I folded and failed.
But now as I type this confession... I feel better inside... even though it will cost me money in court next month... but that's okay because money can NEVER be worth more than a clean conscience. On the drive home all I could think of was Bible Scriptures about satan being the Father of those who lie, and that no liars will ever enter Heaven... and the worst part was that I had denied the Lord... and that right there is what broke me up... and still breaks me up. Confession really is good for the Soul... and NOW... my soul feels good again with His Peace and Forgiveness.

I'm not sure why I'm revealing my sin today, but maybe someone can relate to it and find peace again.

Thanks Guys... May Jesus Bless You All in Many Ways.... Dan

PS... the testing of our faith is REALLY GOOD FOR US... even though it hurts... but only for a moment... eternity is nothing to play with... or dismiss.

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
So, what did we learn?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hell, I just aim at schit moving around in the woods and shoot. That's hunting!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We all make mistakes.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good on ya Dan for coming clean. Honesty is always the best policy. You will be forgiven.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, all liars will have their part in the Lake of Fire so honesty is always the best policy.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You did the right thing. I admire you for being a man and owning your mistakes. May God bless you

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
So, I’m a little lost here. Two deer in a day is not illegal, so why did they even want to go back and see where you killed them?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Odd story.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Calvin
Odd story.

Like many I have read of his.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hmmm...

Not sure what to make of that. Lying...

I do know you should be sure of what the hell you're shooting at. Body parts? Really? You should thank your lucky stars it wasn't another hunter. This is a good example to teach my Hunter Safety students. Unbelievable.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
You aren't using "yearling" to mean fawn are you? Because a female yearling is just another doe.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's admirable that you confessed, but why did you spill your guts in the first place? Just because a warden asks questions does not mean you have to answer. If he has evidence to prosecute you for an offence, let him prosecute, but don't hand them free information that may help lead to your conviction.

Wardens make most of their cases through Hunter verbal diarrhea.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I give you credit for admitting what you did but you ought to be a little more careful about what you are shooting at. Don’t think I would ever hunt with someone that shoots that indiscriminately. Part of your fine should be a hunter safety class refresher.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JoeBob
So, I’m a little lost here. Two deer in a day is not illegal, so why did they even want to go back and see where you killed them?

Wondering the same thing. I also don't think 3 shots at 2 deer is terribly unusual. Sounds like the warden was itching to write someone up.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JoeBob

My guess is that they probably wanted to see if he was baiting. Its legal in SC on private land but if IIRC not on WMA's.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
I give you credit for admitting what you did but you ought to be a little more careful about what you are shooting at. Don’t think I would ever hunt with someone that shoots that indiscriminately. Part of your fine should be a hunter safety class refresher.

Yup. Never wise to shoot unless you're certain what you're shooting at, no matter how many tags you have, and even if you're sure about the daily limit, which apparently our boy wasn't. Hopefully, he'll get a grip on his excitement or grow some smarts before he ventures out again. It's only a deer, and once you send that bullet on its way there's no calling it back, not to mention that not every brown thing moving around in the bushes is neccessarily a deer.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook

Yup. Never wise to shoot unless you're certain what you're shooting at, no matter how many tags you have, and even if you're sure about the daily limit, which apparently our boy wasn't. Hopefully, he'll get a grip on his excitement or grow some smarts before he ventures out again. It's only a deer, and once you send that bullet on its way there's no calling it back, not to mention that not every brown thing moving around in the bushes is neccessarily a deer.

The day I learned pulling the trigger 3 times in 10 seconds is short lived fun....the work is back breaking and hours long...lesson learned
Tags for all and completely legal just dumb

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, MY limit is one a day, because these days transportation to my car is strictly via Pappy Power, and one is about all I've got in me these days.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U should not have shared this, until you thought about it more.

Weird.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,774 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,573
Posts18,453,908
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.