Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
We recently bought some hunting property and I'd like to have water there for when we camp. I think the water table isn't very deep, maybe 15 feet according to the neighbors. It's quite rocky in the area with large stones along the fence line form the abandoned farm to the South . My dad suggested an auger to dig the well since he has done it that way before. Ok, but does anyone else have a better way? We don't have electricity other than a generator, no running water close by. Just trying to get some ideas for this project when I get started next spring.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I don't like this style auger, it should give an idea. Pipe can be added to dig deeper. You would have to case the well with plastic, or something.

Good luck at any rate. [Linked Image]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ever see the drilling points that screw on a pipe.
You drive it in and keep adding sections.

Never ever work here.

Might for you if you only need 15 feet.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
All the old timers around here dug there wells by hand...lined them with limestone..water is usually 100 ft down. .if the water is shallow you should be able to dig one in short order....

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When in Albuquerque, we use to drive wells. Make a tripod with 3 each 21 foot sections of 2" Pipe. Put a 10 " pulley on top. Weld a 35 gal barrel onto an old truck wheel that fits your truck.

Using 2" pipe weld an old chisel to 6-8 foot sections. You will have to heat that end and slot it with a torch to hammer it in so it wil lfit the chisel. Each section threaded on the ends.The first section gets the chisel end with about 6 foot of slots cut in it with a torch maybe 6" long at 120 degree every 15 " or so. Make pipe cap with a big eye on one end. It screws on to the top of a pipe section that will fit over the pipe for the well and add some weight to that.So that would be maybe a 3" pipe section 5-6 foot long.

Start the chisel section in a few feet by hand . Put some kind of cap on the top so you don't mess up the threads.
Run a good stout rope on the eye you made for the 3" pipe, up thru the pulley on top of the tripod . Have the 3" pipe fitted over your well pipe.
Have the 35 gallon wheel mounted on your truck with the drive wheel jacked up or both rear wheels jacked up. Remember to chock the other wheels.
Start the truck and put in low gear . Give the rope a wrap or two around the 35 gallon barrel loosely.

Pull hard on the rope and it will tighten around the barrel and the weighted 3 "pipe will go up.Let the rope loose and it will come down and and hammer on the well pipe.When the 1st section gets down close to grade,add another section and repeat. Once down past water level,you will have to rent a commercial compressor , to blow the bottom of the well out around the pipe to create a void.Hook up a jet pump and pressure tank to the well and you are good to go. Generator should be good to run the pump

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure how it will work in rocky ground, but years ago we use to 'punch a well'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGgquszAP94

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
These shallow wells always fascinate me. I was in the business for 36 years. The first thing that need to be done it to check local laws. In the west all the water is already spoken for and installing a well where none is allowed is theft of property. Next every state has minimal construction standards. Where I was in business none of these wells described above would meet construction standards and would be immediately ordered plugged and abandoned . We possessed over 2 million dollars worth of equipment to drill through the boulders and bedrocks. This equipment was regularly in need of repair as the drilling conditions are brutal here. After the investment in all that equipment it takes about 5 years to train a driller. Then comes the very technical national licensing process and yearly mandatory continuing educations, along with bonds and insurance. Then I see these types of well being constructed with $40 and used screen door parts and they produce water too. Makes we rethink my life choices. I have always wanted to do a drive point well but they do not meet many state standards. The youtube video above is compelling and I am astounded that there are places that this type of well can be constructed. It is entirely illegal in many states and violates just about every health code I know of, but dang it is cool.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know about the legality of punching your own well, but it seems like a lot of irrigation supply shops have what we call a sand spike or shallow well head just for that purpose. Heck, for that matter, the OP could punch one down and put a hand pump on it and nobody would be the wiser.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Post hole digger on my tractor strikes water at about 3' here now... frown

Not a great time to be building fence...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not where I live, but across the White river, the ground was sandy, and water table low. People used to drive wells often. There is a screened point that screws onto a 2 inch well casing that they use, to drive the well. They did not go but maybe 20-25 ft. Then they used sucker rods and a hand pump, but back then you could get jack pumps that ran on electric. They would pull the sucker rods up and down kinda like an oil well does. Water is deeper where I live, and lots of clay to go through. Most all water well here now are 4 inch plastic casing with submersible pumps. Not much trouble except for lightning hitting the motor but would be a hard do it yourself. probably could dig through the clay and then drive the last few feet, but even that would be hard. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've heard then referred to as a sand point, this is different than what I've seen. More modern I guess, maybe better. [Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had forgotten about those sand points

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It has been pointed out a working head pump is needed for a sand point. I've never used a jet pump, would a jet pull water?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The ones used near here long ago was longer that that, probably 5ft or so. miles

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just as the name suggests the sand point works great in sandy or soft soil. I drove two of them on some cabin land in central Wisconsin, but where my present cabin is no such luck.

The first point/pipe was down to 12 feet in the kitchen area and a simple "pitcher" pump pulled the water. The second one was drove near a horse barn and a electric belt driven piston pump/tank pulled the water.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It has been pointed out a working head pump is needed for a sand point. I've never used a jet pump, would a jet pull water?

As I remember they are good to about 50 feet.I had a bigger one setting on a 2" well. 2" in, 1&1/2"out pump. It was down 22 feet and pumped 120 gpm.

Water table was about 4 feet.It was in an area that was once in the Rio Grande river before it changed course many yerars before that

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As I remember they are good to about 50 feet.I had a bigger one setting on a 2" well. 2" in, 1&1/2"out pump. It was down 22 feet and pumped 120 gpm.

120 gpm from a 2' well, with 1 1/2 " output? Hell of a well. miles

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by milespatton

Yea,I had that one for my garden.I had to put up a barrier so it wouldn't wash everything away. It was like trying to water with a fire hose. Our cement irrigation ditch made a heck of a lot more coming off the Rio Grande Conservancy ditch.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by milespatton

Yea,I had that one for my garden.I had to put up a barrier so it wouldn't wash everything away. It was like trying to water with a fire hose. Th kids had 3' deep x 10 f' little swimming pool. I would fill it up darn quick I had to do that a couple times a week because they kept throwing the ducks in three.

Our cement irrigation ditch made a heck of a lot more coming off the Rio Grande Conservancy ditch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 3,047 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.