Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
My son wants a long range scope for his Tikka 6.5 Creed. Not having any familiarity with Vortex scopes please share your knowledge. Much appreciated.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Viper and Razor lines are good scopes IMO. I have no experience with their lower lines. Also, could you define long range?

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which Vortex scope? If you're talking the Razor line, yeah, I would run one all day. Their Viper Gen II has a solid reputation too.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I too am considering a Vortex for my 7mm rem mag. Curious about the Viper 4-16x50 HS. figure 16x would be more than enough for your long range shooting.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by micky
The Viper and Razor lines are good scopes IMO. I have no experience with their lower lines. Also, could you define long range?

Out 500 or 600 yds......maybe longer to 750 on a very rare occasion. Just don't have a place to shoot that farther than 750 yds.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by micky

Out 500 or 600 yds......maybe longer to 750 on a very rare occasion. Just don't have a place to shoot that farther than 750 yds.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Vortex generally doesn’t do well on a performance for price basis. Their top end scopes are pretty solid but expensive. All their other lines are almost totally hype.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
NO

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The HS and HS-T I had were pretty crappy in regards to tracking......spent about 2 days on a couple of rifles and returned them to where I purchased them from and have never looked at a vortex again.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a Vortex PST 2.5x10x42, mils. I like the scope. Has been very precise and repeatable to 750 yrds. What I don`t like is it`s FOV. Very narrow for hunting, IMHO, but will work for targets..price isn`t to bad either. BUT, I would suggest one of the SWFA`s, straight 10 or 12x. About the same money, excellent scope. I also have a Nikon MTac. that is new to me, 3x12x42. Very nice glass,very repeatable, and excellent FOV. Priced well too.
You have some options if you want.
Good Luck

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Waiting for the man to chime in....I understand he is not fond of Vortex optics....at least compared to Nightforce and SWFA.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve used a bunch of Vortex scopes of all lines, and the only ones that tracked well, RTZ, held zero, etc, were a couple of PST’s and a Razor.

I would only consider the Razor G1 or G2 from Vortex if looking for a LR scope, and in that price range the competition is stiff. The ATACR and XRSII would likely get money from me before the Razor would.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have TWO Viper HS LR 6-24x50ffp. I have had them now for 3 years. They are on a 7mag and a custom 300win, I have dialed them up and down for shots up to 1 mile and they track perfect. It would be hard to find a better scope for the money. I have shot steel with these but mainly use them for long rang doe culling on mangement hunts in Texas. I have also hauled them to Colorado and made perfect shots on elk and 200 & 700yds. They still went back to zero when I returned home

I have cranked them up and shot steel out to 1mile and made hits with them and they repeated.

The only con I could make would be with the FFP for elk hunting low light in Dark timber but that is not a knock on Vortex. Thats asking a Longrange model scope to make fast up close shots(which I did).

I dont have any experience with the HST or PST but in my experience the Viper HS LR 6-24x50 is a great Longrange scope for a person on a budget that will get the job done with the big boys!
James

Burning Powder in the Texas Hill Country
poking holes in critters
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have there Diamond backs thru the Razors. IMO you can’t get a better scope for the money. Been a Leupold snob for years and have just about switched everything to Vortex. Live in the prairie shoot long range at dogs and coyotes plus the normal game and shoot targets as far as tracking I don’t have one complaint. I had 1 viper that just wasn’t clear adjusting sent it to vortex and was repaired no questions ask best customer service I have ever dealt with. Good luck and you can do way worse than a Vortex and spend a lot more money.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have a Viper 6.5-20x50 with the mil-dot reticle on an accurate Remington 6.5 creedmoor. I don't use rifles professionally or shoot in competitions so my usage isn't a severe test of the scope, but it has reliably dialed up to 300, 400, and 500 yards and back to my 100 yard zero with no trouble putting the last shot right back into my group at 100 yards.

I have another Viper 6.5-20x44 with mil dot on my son's 6.5 Creedmoor and so far it too has been working fine for us.

I bought a Viper HS-T 4-16x44 Mil reticle that was a return to the store because the owner said it wouldn't adjust and he couldn't sight his rifle in. I bought it for half price and figured if it really wouldn't adjust I could just return it to Vortex. It was obvious that the guy had over torqued the rings from the ring marks and scuffs left on the tube. I mounted it on my .308 5R Milspec and had it sighted in with a couple shots by reading the adjustment in the scope and making the adjustment with the dials. I have since shot that rifle out to 500 yards, again with it returning to zero like it should.

None of these have been shot more than a couple hundred rounds so take that for what it's worth.

So far the only problem I have had with them is seeing the tiny numbers they print on the turrets and magnification rings. I made some stickers for the HS-T turret to make the numbers where I could see them without reading glasses.

I have 2 Super Snipers, 1 a 10X MOA Quad, that the reticle is too fine for me see well enough to hunt with, and the other a side focus 10x with standard mil-dot. Both of those have adjusted accurately as has been reported by all accounts here on the campfire and other places. The farthest I've used these is out to 500 yards, but I don't see where it would hold you back at farther ranges. If a fixed 10 would work then these are a safe bet and won't break the bank.

Bob.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
For the cost of the RZR, you can get some of the best optics made (ATACR, S&B, Kahles) For the cost of the PST II, You can get a better optic as well (SHV, Used NXS, SWFA 5-20X, LRHS) All better options for consistent LR shooting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had bad Vipers and a bad Gen I Razor 5-20. My Gen II 4.5-27 is doing fine but those and the AMG are about the only one's I would consider buying again. Overall I'd suggest something else no matter what price range you are in.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
(SHV, Used NXS, SWFA 5-20X, LRHS) All better options

This sums up where I'd look.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Vortex is a marketing company, running on volume and popularity.

Cool hats and shirts along with the best warranty...

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rifles And More
Vortex is a marketing company, running on volume and popularity.

Cool hats and shirts along with the best warranty...

LOL.

Vortex has a manufacturing plant running full bore making the AMG scope.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (16Racing, 163bc, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.