Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Had a hunting pard show up with a pair of trekking poles. He used them on a couple occasions. Once on a long uphill hike and the other while packing out a front shoulder of an elk in fairly steep and rough terrain. He swore by em..

Do many of you use them for traversing tough ground, both up and down? How do they help? Who makes a good set?

I did some reading and Leki Poles came up as an alpha mfg. Soft foam or real cork handles were also recommended for sweaty hands and comfort...Pretend I don’t know schit about poles. What should I look for and consider buying for hunting?

Beaver10😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Trekking poles are very good to have. My son and I each have a set. We used them on a 10 day trip in the mountains of New Mexico to hike 86 miles. They make a heck of a difference. Leki is what we use.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Had a hunting pard show up with a pair of trekking poles. He used them on a couple occasions. Once on a long uphill hike and the other while packing out a front shoulder of an elk in fairly steep and rough terrain. He swore by em..

Do many of you use them for traversing tough ground, both up and down? How do they help? Who makes a good set?

I did some reading and Leki Poles came up as an alpha mfg. Soft foam or real cork handles were also recommended for sweaty hands and comfort...Pretend I don’t know schit about poles. What should I look for and consider buying for hunting?

Beaver10😎

What would he have done packing out a rear shoulder?
wink

Poles are a huge help in a lot of different situations... Multi-tasking them as shooting sticks makes a lot of sense.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I use them mostly for downhill. It really saves my knees.

An elastic tarp ball bungee makes them into a set of shooting sticks rather quickly.

I recommend you get the flick lock type.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use two different sets made by Black Diamond... Flick Lock is a must...

Public landowner...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BD Alpine Carbon Cork.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use the Black Diamond Trail Trekking poles. Very happy with them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My brother brought a pair to elk camp this year. On our second trip out with my elk, carrying 80 lb packs for six miles, he brought his, gave me one he used one. GAME CHANGER!!! We were doing multiple (like 8) creek crossings in the dark while raining. Also side hilling canyon walls. I am pretty sure those damned things saved our arses from serious injury more than once that day.

As to brand etc. I know nothing, just don't buy the kind that are spring loaded. Solid is the only way to go based on my one time use of one.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a Leki Wanderfreund SpeedLock Trekking Pole in the early season. My use is mostly limited to thrashing dead yucca plants with it as I've had one too many rattlesnake scares. grin

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
And if you have to, you can beat the chit outa somebody with them. I came real close to whoopin some boys from Houston LOL

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I carry 1 pole. While not as good as 2 for climbing, it's far better than none. I find it too clumsy to mess with 2 and a gun at the same time, plus hopefully I'll have llamas in tow for packing meat out. 1 can be used in any number of ways as a shooting stick. It just takes a bit of practice at home on getting into positions bracing the stick with a knee or whatever.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Learn how to use the wrist straps if you don't already know. I see a lot of people not using the straps at all, or using them incorrectly. Probably cuts the utility of the poles by 50% or so.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I only use a single stick-homemade cedar. I don't want both of my hands full and it is great to lean binos on.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We use to make fun of the hikers who used trekking poles. That and those goofy gaiters... LOL. Eventually smartened up and both quickly became required equipment. I’ve used a few different makes of trekking poles and would recommend Leki and Black Diamond products.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use a wooden staff about 60" long and 3/4" in diameter. It has a leather strap fastened to the upper part of the staff. I used it everywhere when my knees were bad. I got two new knees a year ago and still use it on hikes. I put a 1/4" by 20 stud for a camera on the top of it and can also use it for a standing gun rest if needed.

Before I got the hickory staff I used two ski poles, fixed length, that I had left over from my alpine skiing days. They worked well too but I prefer the single staff these days. My elk hauling days are over but the trekking poles make sense if you are hauling heavy loads or packing animals out of rough country.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've used a trekking staff for several years. At age 76 it's a life saver, especially going downhill. I only use one because the second one gets in the way of my rifle etc.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My poles are $35 Costco specials. I've been told they wont last but I have at least 5 years and lots of miles on them. The only problem I've had is the bottom section makes noise rattling inside the middle section.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Appreciate the information...I got a set of Leki Corklight Speedlocks coming for the wife and the BD Alpines for me. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lekki for me; Corklites I believe. I began using them hiking and they really make a difference on the uphill, downhill with load, and uneven terrain. Buy Black Diamond or Lekki. Lekki come with replaceable parts for a reasonable price if you break anything. They are the real deal, especially packing animals out. I collapse them and stick them in my side pocket on my pack. They fit perfect.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

729 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 76 invisible), 3,269 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,331
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.