Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm not sure who makes a good set. But, I bought a cheap ass pair at Walmart to try and see if I like em. They were $18 for the pair. My fat ass didn't break em up or down hill and I liked them a lot. Downhill was more noticeable to me.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have on occasion used a stick or two, but after extended use one day in extremely rugged terrain, I had one finger with a tendon that would go over center and I'd have to physically straighten it out. Seems to have self corrected over time, but I've no desire to have that issue resurface.

1Minute
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've got Leki's as well. I always have the right hand one with me when I hunt. That's because if I kill, it makes getting out with the kill a lot safer and easier over rough ground. They also come in handy when tracking animals that insist on passing through really steep country. Wounded animals and older ones seem to do that regularly. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never used trekking poles for hunting. Last year in preparation for my Dagestan Tur hunt I used them on the steep hill behind my house. They seemed to make the climbs uphill easier by having something to hold on to, and they definitely made me more stable going downhill.

I took them to Azerbaijan but my guide wouldn't let me use them because he said that on the extremely steep ground there, there was too much of a chance of the trekking pole section clamps releasing which could result in a bad fall down the slope.

Over there they use a single pole or staff that is about 6' long, 2" in diameter, and has a forged pointed steel tip. They often use the steel tip to carve footholds when crossing the extremely steep side hills.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Several years ago I bought a half dozen light ski poles from a store that was going out of business. I took the baskets off. I've given all but two of them away but I use one on any of my back packing hunts or if I have to pack out meat in a backpack. Makes a huge difference giving some better stability on uneven ground and having something to lean on for a minute when packing a heavy load of meat. Big help on down hill and on stream crossings also.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
I'm not sure who makes a good set. But, I bought a cheap ass pair at Walmart to try and see if I like em. They were $18 for the pair. My fat ass didn't break em up or down hill and I liked them a lot. Downhill was more noticeable to me.

TZ, it’s funny when we get older the pack outs seem heavier, and mountains seem steeper. Trek poles are the next step in my decline. Mules or Alpacas are down the road at this moment, but not out of the possibility one day. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Do many of you use them for traversing tough ground, both up and down?

I've got a set of poles. I tried them out. I found them to be a net loss in the places I hunt. They're fine / good on groomed / maintained trails and roads. Off trail, the brush is too thick and too deep and with downed logs every 10 to 100 feet or so to scramble over or under, y' gotta have your hands free to make headway. I'm sure there are other places and other conditions where they are useful. Someday maybe I'll get a chance to hunt such a place.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
strange, I find scrambling over logs and stuff is just the time that the poles come in useful. On a trail, not so much.

I bought a pair and use them but only on rough stuff.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Over the last 50 years I've done a lot of back-pack hunting, as far as 20 miles or a bit more, back in. Often packing 100 lb loads out. Never used trekking poles, tho I've been known to pick up a stick or two if I don't have a staff.

I've used the crap out of hiking staffs tho. I cut them from straight birch saplings, to my height, with a fork on top, which I then pad a bit for shooting. I like them to fit my hand at grasping level, and about 1 1/2 inch all the way down, so some shaving is generally required on the lower end. They are inexpensive, and something to do while on stand.

They are useful at body height for level ground shooting, or down hill shooting. Gotta kick the bottom out considerable for up-hill shooting. Most useful for packing heavy loads, especially on rough ground.

There are probably 20-30 of mine scattered around Alaska by this time...... smile. I don't go back for them if I forget one, tho I've been known to go in with one and come out with two in places I frequent.

Trekking poles or staff makes a big difference in rough ground, heavy pack or not, and help with balance packing load even on good trail.

I must be getting better......the current one is going on 10 years old. Well, maybe not- 8 of those were off ATV or snowmachine, mostly.

Last edited by las; 12/06/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Las, you sound like a modern day Moses with makeshift staff in your paw...This season was the first time I really felt the 90lb quarter kicking my ass coming up and out of the draw. The pack out was a simple one compared to what I’m usually dealing with.

I was in good hunting shape. I knew what I was doing securing the meat to the frame. The only thing I can think of that caused me an issue was my personal pack frame was being used by a pard, who went up first with the other hind quarter plus the meat bag. He had over 100lb on my good frame. I went up with a cheapo frame that I have as a spare. There is a big difference in a quality meat frame versus a POS frame....Hint...I’m gonna spend some time this winter using the trekk poles. We’ll see if they’re still around for hunting next season...😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Moses? Naw - I'm just cheap. I mean "economical".... My guns shoot good, too. But I hide them in good company... smile

Fortunately, hardly any of youse visit.... and I keep beer, tho I quit...

Last edited by las; 12/06/18.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trekking poles sure make it a lot easier on aging knees coming downhill with a loaded pack. I have some Leki's for trail hiking but have drifted into picking up good wooden poles as quieter and no problem to leave behind or abandon when not needed. Have shot a majority of critters off of some kind of pole in recent years.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I only use a single stick-homemade cedar. I don't want both of my hands full and it is great to lean binos on.

Missed your post first time thru.

Yes! I use Safari Sling, and need one hand for gun control.. Ditto binoc use at times.

Tried using tri-pod BOG pod shooting sticks as above.

Don't... Not designed for that....

Last edited by las; 12/08/18.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a pair of Leki for this year. I took some pretty good ribbing from my hunting buds. “Wheres yur ski’s at “ was the favorite. Well worth the ribbing as I never fell down once. Not much chance where I hunt of getting a shot at a deer if your walking so having my rifle in my packs gun bearer was not an issue. Those things really improved my balance and I went alot further beween stopping for a break. I had my doubts but I am sold on them. I also bought some Kennetrak gaiters this year as well. Had my doubts on them as well but they really worked out great also. I dont think I been as satified with two purchases since I bought a edge stock and a timney trigger for my rifle. Its nice to have things work out since I tend to spend on things that dont.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like Leki poles

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I've got a set of 4' and a set of 6' light weight, home made, shooting sticks that I double use for walking sticks that work out really well for me. (4' if I'm going to a stand to sit & 6' for still hunting). But I'm 68 and sure I don't go the distances many of you do.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I’m still waiting on the Big Brown Truck to deliver my Black Diamond Carbon sticks and the Leki poles i ordered. The post are making me think I made a good decision. 👍🏻😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Las, you sound like a modern day Moses with makeshift staff in your paw...This season was the first time I really felt the 90lb quarter kicking my ass coming up and out of the draw. The pack out was a simple one compared to what I’m usually dealing with.

I was in good hunting shape. I knew what I was doing securing the meat to the frame. The only thing I can think of that caused me an issue was my personal pack frame was being used by a pard, who went up first with the other hind quarter plus the meat bag. He had over 100lb on my good frame. I went up with a cheapo frame that I have as a spare. There is a big difference in a quality meat frame versus a POS frame....Hint...I’m gonna spend some time this winter using the trekk poles. We’ll see if they’re still around for hunting next season...😎

You fail to mention the flatlander who probably only made it out alive because he had his “cheater poles”.

The only fault I find with your purchase is not waiting for me to send you a pair for Christmas!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
C
I wouldn’t go on a hunt in rough terrain without them.

They are not just a “crutch” for flatlanders or older folks. They are tools that have earned their place in my gear.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cbeard64
I wouldn’t go on a hunt in rough terrain without them.

They are not just a “crutch” for flatlanders or older folks. They are tools that have earned their place in my gear.

This kind of sentiment would have been appreciated prior to the first North Coastal Elk Season. I’m pretty sure I was the only guy donning both a rifle and trekking poles for miles. Thankfully, I was either man enough or desperate enough to use them. They were a godsend.

I’m going to have to try a pair of Ultimate Direction’s 1 piece carbon fiber poles, especially now that sending them to Beaver would be redundant!

https://ultimatedirection.com/trekking-poles/

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,822
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.