Hop To
B
boatboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was just minding my own business today and seen a deal on a Kimber Micro 9

I love the feel of a 1911 in my hand and this like the Sig 938 is kind of a mini version

So I started doing a bit of research and it seems like there is a few issues with these
and I really dont want to be a dink but it seems a bit like Kimber is not that company that you have an issue the bend over backwards to take care of it

Who carries a micro 9? is my thoughts wrong? I would like one but my Kahr its just a peach
but me JUST me I would like a thumb safety

Like the Kimber or Sig

Maybe I should just man up and carry my Smith compact 1911 or a commander

Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 12/06/18.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Most of the "issues" with micro pistols stem from the fact that they are... well, Micro. Shorter recoil stroke, stiffer recoil springs etc. They don't work well for shooters who exhibit poor technique or control. The grips are just too darn small for a lot of shooters who were raised or trained on full size pistols. The machines themselves, are for the most part as reliable as any other pistol. Once in a while you find a defective gun. The folks at Kimber are sort of biased in this regard. 90% of the complaints they receive they instinctively know in their hearts are due to operator error...

In most cases, they are probably right.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
B
boatboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Dan

I believe you are right on the shooters errors
I have a lot of warranty issues I have to judge

most are just not the products fault
I have to do a fair amount for Customer service and normally I understand its the cost of business but at times I want to scream
Hank

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by boatboy
I was just minding my own business today and seen a deal on a Kimber Micro 9

I love the feel of a 1911 in my hand and this like the Sig 938 is kind of a mini version

So I started doing a bit of research and it seems like there is a few issues with these
and I really dont want to be a dink but it seems a bit like Kimber is not that company that you have an issue the bend over backwards to take care of it

Who carries a micro 9? is my thoughts wrong? I would like one but my Kahr its just a peach
but me JUST me I would like a thumb safety

Like the Kimber or Sig

Maybe I should just man up and carry my Smith compact 1911 or a commander

Hank
Can't speak for the Micro-9, but I do have and occasionally carry the Kimber Micro-380.. I've found it to be (so far) totally reliable.. BUT - as others have said - these micro guns need proper grip/wrist technique to prevent malfunctions.. One can get away with limp-wristing a full-sized 1911 at times but not with the little ones.. And this goes for nearly ALL mini-sized pistols of any caliber..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
... but it seems a bit like Kimber is not that company that if you have an issue they bend over backwards to take care of it

Very true. I have had to deal with Kimber's customer service a few times and it's a nightmare. Their procedure is very akin to battling the other guy's insurance company. They try to deny everything and/or make it all your fault. They'll quiz you about everything related to the gun, trying to find a reason to tell you NO. (My worst experience was related to a rifle, but the process is the same for handguns. I've dealt with them on a handgun too.)

I would like one but my Kahr its just a peach

I too have a Kahr. It's blocky and not terribly attractive, but...it's been 100% reliable and is surprisingly accurate. As for Kahr's customer service, The PM9 and CM9 models had trouble with guide rods eventually wearing out, making reassembly difficult. I had that problem with mine. I called Kahr and the guy admitted that it was a known issue; he took my address, and a new guide rod assembly arrived in about a week. No charge.

I would like a thumb safety

It's your money, your peace of mind, and your life. My two cents is keep the Kahr unless or until it gives you a reason not to trust it. You don't NEED a thumb safety. But again, it's your money--get what makes you happy.

Good luck in your decision!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My CW-9 has been perfect to date and that's a lot of shooting with it. I can't see a reason for a Kimber right now.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
B
boatboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Both of you guys make great points and I think are right on
Hank

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dan

I believe you are right on the shooters errors
I have a lot of warranty issues I have to judge

most are just not the products fault
I have to do a fair amount for Customer service and normally I understand its the cost of business but at times I want to scream Hank

I think you have valid points.
A while back the department I worked for used .40 Glocks, issuing full size model 22s, midsize model 23s, and compact model 27s.

I started out using a model 22 and carried it for a few years, and carried a model 27 when I did some undercover work, and was able to shoot both of them very well, with no malfunctions.

I was at our range one day and one of the range officers I knew well suggested that for the assignment I was in at the time that the midsize model 23 may work easier to conceal. I tried shooting several model 23s and had multiple stoppages with 3 different model 23s. Just to see, I tried shooting model 22 and model 27s again, and had no problem, just when shooting the model 23's. Clearly I was the issue, something in how I was gripping the model 23s.

I stuck with the model 22 and never had a problem.

One thing I am curious about, is "I want to scream Hank" a Michigan term when exasperated?

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Waders

I would like one but my Kahr its just a peach

I too have a Kahr. It's blocky and not terribly attractive, but...it's been 100% reliable and is surprisingly accurate. As for Kahr's customer service, The PM9 and CM9 models had trouble with guide rods eventually wearing out, making reassembly difficult. I had that problem with mine. I called Kahr and the guy admitted that it was a known issue; he took my address, and a new guide rod assembly arrived in about a week. No charge.

I would like a thumb safety

It's your money, your peace of mind, and your life. My two cents is keep the Kahr unless or until it gives you a reason not to trust it. You don't NEED a thumb safety. But again, it's your money--get what makes you happy.

Good luck in your decision!

smile Well said, sir...

One of the rails split on my P-9 several years ago.. I called Kahr - they sent me a call slip for shipping.. About 2 weeks later I got the gun back with a new frame, new S/N and letter from Kahr regarding that to keep with the handgun.. No charge for any of it..

I think I have about five of each (Kimber & Kahr).. Only had to have that P-9 addressed; nothing needing on the Kimbers - yet.. No complaints on any of 'em to date.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
if you can rent a P365 from SIG you might try that gun before you buy a Kimber. I now have two of them, very accurate, both of mine have worked well, one has over 1000 rounds, I stopped counting at 1000 but its probably 13-1400 or so now. I had a Kahr PM9 very accurate gun but always gave me pause chambering the first cartridge from a full magazine, acted like it did not want to chamber. It never misfired or misfed, just did not hold enough cartridges and sometimes hung up trying to chamber first round. The sig is just a bit bigger and I have the 12 round magazine plus another in my left pocket.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have some experience with a micro 9mm. Accurate, reliable, and compact. Holsters selection is limited. Crossbreed holster did ok. My experience has been positive. My only complaint, minor as it may be, is i dont like disassembly of it, but im simple in that case as im use to glocks which is stupid easy.

B
boatboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by cv540
[quote=boatboy]Dan

One thing I am curious about, is "I want to scream Hank" a Michigan term when exasperated?

Not sure its a Michigan thing maybe more of a Hank thing
Sometimes it just feels like the thing to do
Hank

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I recently bought a Kimber Micro 9. I already had a Kahr PM9 which has been totally reliable, so I didn't really need the Kimber. My Micro 9 has also been totally reliable and I like the trigger much better than any of my striker fired pistols.

The clerk at the gun counter told me that he carried a Micro 9 but that it was only reliable with 124 grain and 147 grain ammo; 115 grain ammo did not reliably cycle. I decided to try the 115 grain ammo in mine and like the 124 and 147 grain ammo, it has been 100% reliable.

I ordered a holster from Concealment Express, an IWB holster that I like because it doesn't collapse when drawing the pistol so it is easy to re-holster. I plan to carry this pistol soon, in place of the Kahr but I only have about 300 rounds through it so far. After a couple hundred more, I'll make the swap.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
boatboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B

I ordered a holster from Concealment Express, an IWB holster that I like because it doesn't collapse when drawing the pistol so it is easy to re-holster. I plan to carry this pistol soon, in place of the Kahr but I only have about 300 rounds through it so far. After a couple hundred more, I'll make the swap.[/quote]

I went to concealment and they look like nice holsters they didnt show one for a CM9 so I sent them an email

Hank

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The CM9 uses the same holster as the PM9, which is shown under Concealment Express on Amazon. I have the one for my PM9, which is why I bought the same brand for my Micro 9.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
FWIW Sportsmans Warehouse had a Micro 9 on sale for $499 through today. If your store doesn't have one you can order one and pick it up when it comes in.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had no issues with mine so far but only a few hundred through it so far. Carries concealed very well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You "seen" a deal? Must've been a deal on a proper English class.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fwiw my micro 380 has never jammed or had a ftl. As others have already said don't limp wrist it and it'll treat you well.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have been carrying a Micro 9 for a couple of years. About 500 rounds through it. Has been totally reliable for me. It feels good and shoots well. For me, it is now a toss up between the Micro 9 and my PM9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,349
Posts18,468,835
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.