Print Thread
Hop To
J
JMB Fan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve been pondering purchasing a current generation 4-Runner.
Interested in hearing your experiences with one.
Is it a capable OFFROAD vehicle?
What are the favorite modifications have you made?
How did it perform while towing?

Thanks

Thank our servicemen and women for their sacrifices.
Thank John M. Browning for his firearms inventions.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good timing!

After 5 Tacomas in a row since college followed by a Tundra,, I just traded my Tundra for a new 2018 5th gen 4Runner SR5. It is the first time in my adult life I don't own a truck. (We'll see how that goes). After 1 month, here is my impression:

The reasons I went from a Tundra to a 4Runner:

1) I wanted something more nimble, with a shorter wheel base
2) I wanted something more off-road capable (see above)
3) I was time to upgrade to some better technology (backup camera, traction and 4WD improvements, cell phone integration, integrated 100v AC inverter, etc, etc, etc)
4) I wanted a place to put the family golden-doodle inside the cab, but not on a passenger seat

Since the purchase:

-- Immediately upgraded to BFG KO2 275/70R17's (Stock is 265/70R17). Stance is much higher than my Tundra, gas mileage is 3-4 MPG better. I do not plan up lifting for now. 1-3" of lift is the most common for the T4R but honestly plenty of people get after it just fine on stock lift with 275's. A 2" level kit up front might be fine, but anything 3" and up and you really should consider a diff drop. Someday if my stock suspension starts to sag I might level the front and add airbags to the rear (for hauling/towing).

--RSG Angled Sliders will be picked up this week. These are some of the best sliders on the market, mount right to the frame (bolt on) and also help prevent the truck from rocks that kick up, parking lot door dings, etc. Most T4R offroad guys run real sliders like this, bolted to the FRAME, versus soccer mom steps, bolted to the running boards. If you bottom out on a big rock, you will want your armor bolted to the frame....

--Roof rack to be installed this week

--Holding off on aftermarket front bumper and winch for now, until I gauge weight and responsiveness with the upcoming set-up.

My thoughts:

The pro's:

This is EASILY be the best off-road vehicle I have ever owned, and a few of my Tacoma's were set up for some serious terrain. Toyota has really nailed some of the 4WD settings. Everything from push-button A-TRAC in 4-Low, to downhill assist, to no nanny gadget diff lock, and everything in-between. I've only had it off-road twice but it easily kicks my Tundra's ass offroad, and my Tundra was a pretty capable vehicle. Especially once the sliders are on, this thing is going to crawl ALL OVER Colorado. Angle of approach, angle of exit, suspension travel, etc, even stock, is awesome.

The ride, even with E-rated BFG's is way better than the Tundra.

Better overall technology than my Tundra had.

Slightly better mileage.

Stow-away 3rd row seating is a plus.

I can car camp in the back.

Con's:

The V6, while perfectly capable, is an adjustment from Tundra 5.8L V8. It's fine, but I will not be passing a semi-truck, uphill, while towing. Conversely, I always knew that if I mashed the pedal down on my Tundra, I was off to the races, like, NOW. The 4Runner power curve kicks in around 3000 RPM and up, so while it's a bit sluggish off the line, it gets up and goes OK once you get up to speed.

Towing will be fine for most average uses - 5500 lb rated. My Tundra was rated for 10,500. My Tundra towed a mid-80's beast of a travel trailer, and I never knew it was back there - haul/tow setting, oversized brakes, V8.... The Tundra could have pulled ANYTHING. The 4Runner, well.... Average towing of a ski boat, or a newer, lighter camper will probably be fine, maybe even great with aux brakes. But the 4Runner is not a work truck or a dually. But if you are looking for a 4Runner, you knew that. Look, towing a family camper with a weight distributing hitch is going to be fine. But not a front end loader.

No bed for hauling loads. (But I have a 5x8 utility trailer, which mitigates this issue for me)

Overall, I am liking my purchase. I am LOVING the additional off-road capability, nicer ride, and technology. I am MISSING the power, and will probably miss the ease of truck-bed hauling at some point, even though I have the utility trailer.

I don't heavy tow anymore so that is a wash for me.

Hope that helps,

[Linked Image]

Last edited by duck911; 11/18/18.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

J
JMB Fan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Duck911:
Yes this is exactly the type of feedback I was hoping to get. Thanks.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just sold my 1990 SR5 truck. 3.0 V6

Great little truck.

Con's poor valve gaskets.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 2018 SR5 premium. I have Dunlop tires, and I read they suck in the snow. I had it out, and it did really well, so probably better with good tires. I put cable chains on the front tires and I easily went in 15 inches of wet snow in the mountain trails. I just did the fuely tracking, and averaging 12,000 miles I am at 21MPG. I live rural, so lots of highway miles. Power is on the low side coming from a 4.7L first gen Tundra. I would get another one, great for hunting and hauling my labs for walks.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've got a generation ONE, so the only thing I can add you might be interested in...

bought new in Sept 1987 with 2 miles on it.... it just rolled over 560,000 miles on it...

Mechanical repairs have been minimal....its no spring chicken, but neither am I...

My money is on it to outlast me....

for Duck.... a V 6 with lack of power in the mountains...

try a 22 RE.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
JMB Fan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Seafire: 560K! I am impressed. Congrats and thanks for your contribution.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Go with the 4 Runner TRD Pro and you will have to modify little if anything. The TRD Off Road is practically the same, but will give a little better around town ride. Will mainly corner better with its active suspension. Good for most average towing, but nothing big time.

Last edited by battue; 11/22/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I love mine, '17 TRD OR with KDSS. Haven't done any real off road stuff yet - just dirt roads with some ruts and stuff. Way better powertrain than the new 3.5 POS in the Tacoma. Over 16k miles have averaged 21.4mpg but its dropping about 1.5mpg with these cold temps. Also like the fold flat back section and pullout/sliding tray.

J
JMB Fan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks Taco.

J
JMB Fan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks Battue.
Took your advice. Found a 2019 TRD Pro just before Turkey Day. Put 400 miles on it so far and agree on the good around town ride. Waiting to get undercoating done this week before first off-road experience which will be on the beach near Surfside, TX. Looking forward to that.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have put 56,000 on a 4 Runner TRD Pro. Finally had to put new brakes on. The tires that come with the Pro are excellent in snow. However, at around 30,000 they became really noisy on the highway and I changed them out.

Last edited by battue; 11/25/18.

J
JMB Fan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Just did the same on my F150. Had 45k on some BFG K02 but noticed the noise and felt some vibration that rebalancing didn’t fix. New rubber fixed all that and restored the smooth ride.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

J
JMB Fan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Battue:
Found it. Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 4wd 4runner is very similar to Duck911, but without all the upgrades. My assessment would be very similar. One feature that ranks high on any suv I considered is operable rear glass, it makes it easier to control my dogs. It's my first Toyota after having Isuzus, and Pathfinders. Once Nissan went to a soccer mom approach on the Pathfinders in 2013, I moved on to Toyota. I'm very happy with the product.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.