Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by gunner500
Read this post and grabbed a RF off the table by the back door too see, it's a cold, wet, misty, foggy day here as well, just ranged 710 yards up on the mountain, all the way up to low fog level in the trees, everything else visible in the pasture all the way back to 25 yards flashed a reading.

The Nikon Black RangeX is what I used, don't know what they cost, don't figure they're too expensive, an old Bud gave me that one over six months ago.

Same here, never had a problem with my Swarovski ranging through rain, fog or snow.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Wrongside
I'm really surprised you rate the Leupold 1200 so high. A good friend and elk hunting buddy is on his 3rd unit. Good warranty/CS, but not a great product. At least in his experience. Shows how mileage varies I guess.

I was out deer hunting with another buddy a few weeks back. Sunny, clear, cold, approx. -20C. His Geovids were struggling to range anything. My 2700b was performing well. But I carry mine in a cargo pocket. His Bino was on a harness, outside all his layers. Maybe it was just body heat making the difference?

Form seems to think highly of the Nikons. Maybe give one a try and let us know how it goes. wink

I hear you Wrongside, maybe these chinese LRF's have wide sample variations, I don't know. My first Leupy 1000 TBR had half of the display go out so Leupy sent me the 1200. Can't say I'm in love with it though because every freaking one I've tried has been halfassed. (sorry, rant over). GregW and I had this conversation yesterday and karma has come around to me, today.

Yessir, sample to sample variations are a likely explanation. Frustrating for sure. Maybe you're just not holding still enough. Prolly shivering... wink

Reading the guy's comments- are you referring more to temp sensitivity, than 'dreary, foggy' conditions?

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Read this post and grabbed a RF off the table by the back door too see, it's a cold, wet, misty, foggy day here as well, just ranged 710 yards up on the mountain, all the way up to low fog level in the trees, everything else visible in the pasture all the way back to 25 yards flashed a reading.

The Nikon Black RangeX is what I used, don't know what they cost, don't figure they're too expensive, an old Bud gave me that one over six months ago.

It's not the laser travelling through the cold air that's the problem, but the RF unit itself getting cold.

JG,

This may or may not be helpful, but I've never seen a RF that worked more reliably in all conditions that my old Bushnell Fusion 1600.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider
It's a cold, dreary, dull day here in mule deer country. The rut is kickiing off, and I proceeded to a good opportunity at a really nice, old mature buck this morning because i couldn't get a range and didn't want to SWAG it.

I've tried numerous LRF's in this type of weather, and none of them have been worth a crap as far as I'm concerned. These stand alone's include the Leupy 1200, (best so far) Swaro , Older Leica 1200 (worst I've had BTW), and a Vortex. Farthest I could read on any target (I realize in these conditions the "non-relfectivity issues) has been a shade over 300 yards. That's OK most of the time, but I like gear that Works! Not bashing my Geovid's, but when the temps got below 30* it had no better RF capabilities than any of these other ones. An acquaintance wanted them worse than I did so I sold them.

I'd really consider the Nikon Laserforce if it would halfassed do what it's supposed to do in these dull, dreary conditions. Will it work? Got the redass over this situation.......

Thanks for the feedback.

I am surprised that your geovids are working g so poorly in cold weather. That is the second or third pair that I have heard about . Mine work really well in cold conditions, as in well below zero. They are about 4 years old. I wonder what the difference between yours and mine is?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It is 16 degrees and sunny at my house right now and I just ranged to 1027 yds on a tree with no problem with my geovid hd b binos. They must have changed something in the newer ones.???

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The cold wreaks havoc on em for sure. I had a Leica CRF that wouldn’t range caribou at 500 yards in the cold. I had a Zeiss PRF that wouldn’t range a wolf at 400 ish in the cold. Both incidents had temps below zero and not much above zero degrees. I’ve learned that when hunting in cold weather I keep the rangefinder in an interior pocket if I want accurate readings and performance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atse
It is 16 degrees and sunny at my house right now and I just ranged to 1027 yds on a tree with no problem with my geovid hd b binos. They must have changed something in the newer ones.???

Just curious, did you leave them outside in 16 degrees for a few hours and then try to do that? Or were they room temp and just went outside to see how far they’d range?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not sure if if I've ever used my Zeiss PRF in below zero temps(where the device was below zero...) but I do know that it would give much faster and farther readings in fog/snow compared to an old Leica that I used to have. But this is dated info, the Zeiss must be almost 8 years old.

Supposed to be -3F tonight so I could test it in the morning.

I do know that those lithium ion batteries work a helluva lot better in cold temps compared to the standard batteries.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
The cold wreaks havoc on em for sure. I had a Leica CRF that wouldn’t range caribou at 500 yards in the cold. I had a Zeiss PRF that wouldn’t range a wolf at 400 ish in the cold. Both incidents had temps below zero and not much above zero degrees. I’ve learned that when hunting in cold weather I keep the rangefinder in an interior pocket if I want accurate readings and performance.

Anything with batteries should be carried in an interior pocket in very cold temperatures, if one wants them to work properly IMHO

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used a Leica 1200 LRF for 15 years until I sold it this year and got a Leica 2000B... the 1200 worked down well below zero, no problem. The new Leica hasn't been pushed that low, but has worked in the teens this year no problem. As good as the 1200 was, the 2000 reads more quickly, has better optics, and is lighter.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve owned several Leicas as well as the Zeiss and the Sig Kilo 2000 I’m using right now is as fast and as reliable as anything I’ve tried. I did learn that if it gets down below 10 deg I shove in my coat or it won’t read the longer distances. But other than that it’s a rockstar out well past any range I’d shoot. 1200 + easily.

This.

Son using some new Nikon 4000 or some such with good results. I will stick with the sig.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My Geovid HD-B 3000 has been spot on to temps in the low 20’s.

I’ve got an original Sig Kilo 2000 that’s still rockin’. It’s not fussy in the least.

I had a Sig Kilo 2400 ABS that I tested rather thoroughly this summer. It was fantastic. I let the Kilo 2400 ABS go in favor of the new Geovid—weighing the convergence of two instruments rather highly (bino/LRF). I gave nothing up, with the possible exception of ballistics engine features. All I really miss is a 10 MPH wind value, but that really neither here nor there. The new Geovids range fast and accurately and the optics are superb.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by atse

Just curious, did you leave them outside in 16 degrees for a few hours and then try to do that? Or were they room temp and just went outside to see how far they’d range?

Today, I just took them outside, but this time a year i am hunting coyote s 2 or three days a week for hours at a time, and I have had no issues. I hunted out of my tippi for 12 nights this year, a handful of them were pretty chilly. Again no issues.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I suspect it's the moisture in the air that's as much a problem as the temperature. We see in the 400-700 nanometer range of visible light. Laser rangefinders operate in a higher frequency range but I can't find the exact numbers except one place mentioned a bushnell rangefinder using a 905 nm. I suspect most companies keep it proprietary. Water absorbs in the 1400 nm range so if their lasers are in that range then water could interfere with it. There's also refraction from the water vapor like your headlights on a foggy night, that's what the LRF is seeing with a lot of water vapor in the air just in a different spectrum.

In the end I suspect picking the LRF rated for the most distance is going to give you the best chance of it working in less than ideal circumstances.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My Zeiss has been very reliable in light rain and light snow. I have used it down to single digits for sure and maybe even zero. The only times I have trouble was heavy snow and through glass. I’ve been really happy with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

It's not the laser travelling through the cold air that's the problem, but the RF unit itself getting cold.

JG,

This may or may not be helpful, but I've never seen a RF that worked more reliably in all conditions that my old Bushnell Fusion 1600.

Jordan, the Fusion has a really good laser. It’s the funky colored bluish-green glass, and poor clarity, that was a bust IMO. I use mine only for prairie dogs...They work great ranging open spaces. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JG I am not sure why you are having issues. I haven't done this in a few years but when I used to get cabin fever and get bored I used to pop over to nevada and shoot coyotes at long range from fields. Conditions were snow covered, and temps as low as -10 degrees. Although my personal threshold is about 0 these days. any below that and ummm I am staying in the truck wink RF units were leica geovds, second generation and second generation HD. IE not the huge brick ones but not the split hinge either. Those would range reliably on a coyote/deer etc to about 800 yards, being extra careful and with extra time,Sometimes further if the conditions were just right. The other unit I have used and currently use is the EL range 10x42. These will range 1200+ reliable and I have even ranged to 1900+ when the conditions are just right. when its snowing or sometimes if the sun is at the wrong angle I can have trouble. Certainly not in cloudy conditions. those should be your better conditions.

currently my EL range's are at swaro getting the RF unit fixed. not sure whats wrong I personally think the range button is F'd, I notice the newer ones have a different style range button. Mine are well out of warranty so hopefully the repair doesn't cost too much. Still annoying that my RF unit went down during hunting season.

I can't say this enough, I don't see how anyone hunts with a separate RF unit. both my friends and I have shot animals, even the best animals we have ever gotten because we were using RF binoculars. its simply way way faster. I would never ever ever go back to seperate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 2018 it is ridiculously easy to obtain a reliable laser range finder that will work fine well below 0F.

Overcast, dreary days make the lasers bounce further than bright sunny days.

Give us a budget OP so we can help you out of this dilemma. cool

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I believe Crow Hunter has explained the failure of RFs in rain. Depending upon how far one is ranging, beam divergence becomes a real issue. At long range a tripod is necessary. Today with mid 20 degree F temps, using an older Leica 1600 CRF (tripod mounted), I ranged large rocks at 1467, 1763 and 1836 yds. The readings would not always repeat exact ranges as initially read; but I believe them to be accurate. The 1467 range has been confirmed by actual shooting using elevation data from my ballistics chart. I am sure this ranging performance would be impossible in rain.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I know that I am pretty much hated and that you probably have me on ignore but I would look at the Sigs. Sigs had many problems when they were introduced but they are my favorite now. Love the Sigs. I lost a Sig 2200 during my last sheep hunt. I was getting across a nasty muck and silt moulin and my pack had a zipper open and I lost them into the maws of the glacier. I promptly bought another 2200 after I got out. The Sig 2400 ABS is even better but it is pricey. I have a pair of Geovid 10X42 HD-Rs but I like my EL 10X42s more. Sigs work when its cold and they range larger customers that come out of walmart about 400 yards rather well. Better than other rangefinders. It ranges soft targets in snow better than other brands. I am not quite sold on the Sig scope, Sig LRF and cell phone hookup but I am researching them...

Last edited by kaboku68; 12/06/18.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (338reddog, 2UP, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 20 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.