Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
It's a cold, dreary, dull day here in mule deer country. The rut is kickiing off, and I proceeded to a good opportunity at a really nice, old mature buck this morning because i couldn't get a range and didn't want to SWAG it.

I've tried numerous LRF's in this type of weather, and none of them have been worth a crap as far as I'm concerned. These stand alone's include the Leupy 1200, (best so far) Swaro , Older Leica 1200 (worst I've had BTW), and a Vortex. Farthest I could read on any target (I realize in these conditions the "non-relfectivity issues) has been a shade over 300 yards. That's OK most of the time, but I like gear that Works! Not bashing my Geovid's, but when the temps got below 30* it had no better RF capabilities than any of these other ones. An acquaintance wanted them worse than I did so I sold them.

I'd really consider the Nikon Laserforce if it would halfassed do what it's supposed to do in these dull, dreary conditions. Will it work? Got the redass over this situation.......

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by JGRaider; 12/06/18.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ZEISS Victory 8x26mm has worked the best in those conditions (cold, damp, dreary, hanging rain/mist) from my experience.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I’ve never had a problem with my Swarovski ranging through any condition including dreary foggy days.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

I’ve never had a problem with my Swarovski ranging through any condition including dreary foggy days.

That's good for you, but I did on several occasions. Not interested in Swaro. Thanks anyway.

Last edited by JGRaider; 12/06/18.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by jwp475

That's good for you, but I did on several occasions. Not interested in Swaro. Thanks anyway.

Wasn’t offering you mine.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
No kidding?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Only hunt on sunny days. grin

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I ain't that old yet ct.......

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've never had any rangefinders work in poor conditions either and relinquished to hunting the old fashion way when its nasty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have nothing but good to say about my Leica 2700. Light snow and single digit readings didn't slow it down.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just use a Nikon Aculon. Nothing fancy, if it won't range quickly then I know it's over 300, I'll just pick out something half way there and range that, double it - close enough for rifle hunting.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm really surprised you rate the Leupold 1200 so high. A good friend and elk hunting buddy is on his 3rd unit. Good warranty/CS, but not a great product. At least in his experience. Shows how mileage varies I guess.

I was out deer hunting with another buddy a few weeks back. Sunny, clear, cold, approx. -20C. His Geovids were struggling to range anything. My 2700b was performing well. But I carry mine in a cargo pocket. His Bino was on a harness, outside all his layers. Maybe it was just body heat making the difference?

Form seems to think highly of the Nikons. Maybe give one a try and let us know how it goes. wink

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Never had that issue with newer Leica CRF-1000 unit. Used in Colorado down in single digits

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Wrongside
I'm really surprised you rate the Leupold 1200 so high. A good friend and elk hunting buddy is on his 3rd unit. Good warranty/CS, but not a great product. At least in his experience. Shows how mileage varies I guess.

I was out deer hunting with another buddy a few weeks back. Sunny, clear, cold, approx. -20C. His Geovids were struggling to range anything. My 2700b was performing well. But I carry mine in a cargo pocket. His Bino was on a harness, outside all his layers. Maybe it was just body heat making the difference?

Form seems to think highly of the Nikons. Maybe give one a try and let us know how it goes. wink

I hear you Wrongside, maybe these chinese LRF's have wide sample variations, I don't know. My first Leupy 1000 TBR had half of the display go out so Leupy sent me the 1200. Can't say I'm in love with it though because every freaking one I've tried has been halfassed. (sorry, rant over). GregW and I had this conversation yesterday and karma has come around to me, today.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Stick a hand warmer by the battery. PIA, but it helps those batteries that suck in the cold.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
From what I've heard the Terrapins do not impress in the fog/rain, and they are cream of the crop.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After buying my 2700 Leicas, I sold my Terrapin, however I never gave it a good workout in lousy conditions...

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
JGRaider: I am rather happy with my Leica LRF 900 - and I live and Hunt both Big Game, predators and Varmints year round (day and night!)!
I am not sure but am willing to bet it gets WAY colder where I often Hunt (7,000'+ elevations in SW Montana) than there in West Texas Mule Deer country.
Maybe this is your problem (which I had many years and many rangefinders ago!) - you are not holding your laser rangefinders STEADY enough?
Once I started resting/steadying my laser rangefinders COMPLETELY, I started getting lasered readings at the needed longer ranges.
I either clamp my Leica 900's with my hands to a tree or use my Hunting pack as a "tripod" etc then I get range readings I am confident in.
My "needs" for ranging anything in the way of Big Game ends just under 600 yards - I won't shoot any further than that. If I get ranges past 600 yards I get closer!
Good luck in what ever you try next - I recommend steadying the LRF to close to absolute stillness and that should help extend your laser distances.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Read this post and grabbed a RF off the table by the back door too see, it's a cold, wet, misty, foggy day here as well, just ranged 710 yards up on the mountain, all the way up to low fog level in the trees, everything else visible in the pasture all the way back to 25 yards flashed a reading.

The Nikon Black RangeX is what I used, don't know what they cost, don't figure they're too expensive, an old Bud gave me that one over six months ago.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve owned several Leicas as well as the Zeiss and the Sig Kilo 2000 I’m using right now is as fast and as reliable as anything I’ve tried. I did learn that if it gets down below 10 deg I shove in my coat or it won’t read the longer distances. But other than that it’s a rockstar out well past any range I’d shoot. 1200 + easily.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (Akhutr, Berksbowman, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,208
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.