Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I know we have a few pack threads going on, but hey, what's one more? I did my first backpack hunt and loved it buy my pack frustrated me. I kind of felt it would but I was spending money elsewhere and had what I had so I used it. So I'm looking into getting a new pack and am looking for a top of the line pack that'll only have me crying when I pay for it and no other time. Right now I've narrowed it down to Stone Glacier, EXO mountain gear and Kifaru. Any thoughts on these 3 from experience or any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Don’t rule out the Western Colorado made Seek Outside packs. I love mine.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a Kifaru mountain warrior and I really dig it. Sorry but I cant speak to the other brands.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can’t really go wrong with any of those 3 pack choices! So many options and bags/accessory pouches available for all 3 also. Kifaru will probably be the next pack I try out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
I know we have a few pack threads going on, but hey, what's one more? I did my first backpack hunt and loved it buy my pack frustrated me. I kind of felt it would but I was spending money elsewhere and had what I had so I used it. So I'm looking into getting a new pack and am looking for a top of the line pack that'll only have me crying when I pay for it and no other time. Right now I've narrowed it down to Stone Glacier, EXO mountain gear and Kifaru. Any thoughts on these 3 from experience or any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

You need to road trip down to Kifaru. Living in CO, I'd go Kifaru all the way. Daughter just got the Muskeg 5000 and it is really nice. I love my mountain warrior I've had for several years. Son is running some huge version they sell, AMR maybe. The guys there are all hunters and are putting out some great gear. Regardless, stick with a made in the USA company.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Those are all 3 great brands, best bet is to try out what you can. I've had all three and currently am very happy with the stone glacier.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Mountain Hardwear is having 50% off sale on their packs AND sleeping bags!

You want waterproof pack? Aight den...

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think that my wife cried more than once when she found out what I paid for my Stone Glacier pack. Fits me well and doesn't hurt when I load it up. Great packs for the ounce counting hunter.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Generation I Late Season since I don't know when. One word, bulletproof. I have used it hard since I got it afield and otherwise (plane trips back east) Still no holes, no zipper problems ,not a broken buckle, etc. The thing is faded from the sun but otherwise as useful today as when I got it 10 years ago? If you can visit the show room you may get lucky and have Patrick answer your questions like he did for me. First class operation.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
C
C
You’ve named 3 of the best in the business. I would add Seek Outside and Mystery Ranch to those options if you want expand your options.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've tried the EXO and Kifaru and bought the Kifaru. It just fit me better. I really liked the layout of the EXO though. PIcked up a DT1 bag and guide lid so I'm set from day mode to multiday mode.

If you can find someone with the packs you're interested in and try them great but, to me, it was worth the shipping cost to try the EXO be able to send it back. Both companies have great customer service and Steve really tried to make the EXO work but understood when I decided to send it back.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Kifaru would be a truly buy once, cry once. It'll last you a lifetime. Very easy (and fun) to set them up for a wide spectrum of hunts.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Color me unimpressed with the Stone Glacier. A pard used one on a goat hunt this year and it was epic discomfort for him. The straps on his pack wouldn't stay cinched and there was a lot of swaying going on. The shoulder straps and especially waistbelt seemed less than luxurious as well. We both had 100+ pound packs coming out and each had very different experiences carrying that weight. It was the first time I'd ever seen one of their packs in person and I was surprised at how unimpressive it was based on the great reviews I've seen them get.

I can say it's difficult to go wrong with Mystery Ranch or Kifaru. I've carried out literally tons of meat on the MR and multiple friends have done the same with the Kifaru packs. They flat out work and both companies have excellent customer service. Tip: Obtain and carry an extra waistbelt buckle. They only break when you have a bunch to carry from way back in, and the weather is bad.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably a good tip there PA. Think I will do that actually. Never had one break, but easy insurance.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Kifaru Reckoning and a MR Mule. The Kifaru is built like a tank. Great pack, possibly more than I need. It is certainly capable of carrying more than I am. The Mule has a much smaller bag, but a very easy to use load shelf. A waterproof 55-60l bag fits right in there. The Mule is a little nicer in day hunting mode. A little more compact and possibly a little lighter. I hauled out a small deboned Mule Deer buck and head and it felt really good. I’d lean Kifaru if you like to haul really heavy loads. My hip flexors and knees are screaming before the weight feels uncomfortable on my back or shoulders. Honestly I think both are fantastic packs.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Yetti, If you want to give a SO a try you can fill up my SO Peregrine and give it a test hike. You’ll have to come to Palisade to do that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned a Kifaru Reckoning and really liked it. After I "donated" it, I replaced with a Mystery Ranch Guide Lite frame and Metcalf and Pintler bags. I find it as comfortable as the Kifaru.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Color me unimpressed with the Stone Glacier. A pard used one on a goat hunt this year and it was epic discomfort for him. The straps on his pack wouldn't stay cinched and there was a lot of swaying going on. The shoulder straps and especially waistbelt seemed less than luxurious as well. We both had 100+ pound packs coming out and each had very different experiences carrying that weight. It was the first time I'd ever seen one of their packs in person and I was surprised at how unimpressive it was based on the great reviews I've seen them get.

I can say it's difficult to go wrong with Mystery Ranch or Kifaru. I've carried out literally tons of meat on the MR and multiple friends have done the same with the Kifaru packs. They flat out work and both companies have excellent customer service. Tip: Obtain and carry an extra waistbelt buckle. They only break when you have a bunch to carry from way back in, and the weather is bad.

I don’t know which SG he used but something was very wrong. I probably have seen more SG packs used with truly heavy loads than anyone save maybe SG themselves. Over 50 packs used with 100-130lbs by 50 different people and the only time I have seen anything like that was one person that just wouldn't grasp that a pack has to be fitted to you.

As well as more than a few Mystery Ranch and Kifaru packs.....
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Good report. That pic is like $500,000 worth of bags. How'd they all end up in a pile like that?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I cant believe that horror story about stone glacier packs, in fact Im just going to call bullshit on it unless it was one of their very early prototypes. Ive had 100+ lbs in my SG pack and it was excellent. I also have a kifaru thats very nice but it is big, heavy and overbuilt.

Kifaru makes great stuff and the advantages are that its durable and you can basically set up the pack any way you want (pockets, bottle holders etc) but all that comes at the price of weight.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
87 members (308ld, 338reddog, 35, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,585 guests, and 776 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,761
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.