Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
It is a shame, I still have two T/C's left, a 58 cal Big Boar with wood comparable to yours, and a little 36 cal Seneca I picked up a few years ago.

Trump Won!
BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
I'm another fan of the T/C caplock rifles. I deer hunt with 54 caliber Renegade rifles using PRBs and black powder. I also enjoy shooting a 36 caliber Seneca. The Seneca has a 45 caliber barrel too, but I've never used it. OP, beautiful wood on your Hawken.

TNR, don't know if you know, but, you can buy a 5lb box of Hornady 000 buckshot at MidwayUSA, they're a hell of a lot cheaper than buying 100 count boxes of 36 cal balls, plus, these are hardened a bit, they fly really well from my 36 wrapped in a T/C lubed patch with 30grs FFFG black powder, fouling on reloading the rifle is a non-issue, I spit patch the bore after 5 or 6 shots and keep on hunting/shooting.

Trump Won!
BMR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The .36 Seneca is one that I always wanted. Wish I had bought one back in the days when they were being produced. It sure would be fun to squirrel hunt with one of these.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by BMR
The .36 Seneca is one that I always wanted. Wish I had bought one back in the days when they were being produced. It sure would be fun to squirrel hunt with one of these.

I got my 36 cal for 250 bucks in sort of a chickenchit way, was going to buy it and give it to a man and his son out on the highway, the rifle got here and it was flawless, not a scratch on it, I thought Damn! I'm not going to give this one to that kid to beat and scratch the hell out of, called a Bud that has a gun shop, went up and got the kid a clean used, but well cared for T/C Hawken 45 cal. smile

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Investarms (Lyman, Cabela's, others) has been building TC Hawken copies for decades. The Investarms barrels may/may not match TC's for accuracy, but their flintlock locks were more reliable than TC's original flintlocks. The frizzen on TC locks was not hardened well enough to survive when using English flints. The case was too thin. I had a TC Hawken in the 70's-80's that I had to have the frizzen re-hardened. In Pennsylvania, many hunters had the TC frizzen replaced with a Lyman frizzen (slight alteration required) which solves the problem. Eventually, TC revised the hammer geometry and frizzen hardening which solved their flintlock problems.

Hunters in PA flintlock season have learned that having a rifle that fires reliably is really critical for success.

IC B2

BMR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I bought a couple of different barrels for my Hawken over the years. The first one was a 26" Green Mountain Long Range Hunter .50 with 1-28" twist, and the second was a 32" Green Mountain .58 with 1-66" twist. Both shoot extremely well with their respective heavy conicals and round balls. Later, I got a couple of complete stocks minus barrels for great prices, so now I have two additional TC Hawken rifles.

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I try to buy all the TC rifles I come across.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Edwin264
I try to buy all the TC rifles I come across.

I got a like new 54 Renegade in the mail. It has the late style lock, but I usually put a L+R RPL lock on. Anxious to see if it is reliable.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I own (from back in 70's) a TC 50 Hawkin, built from a kit, a factory-built TC .45 Seneca, plus another Cabelas .45, Hawkin type, Italian made, I think - also kit built - given to me some years later as a completed rifle. All have 45 (48?) twist barrels - bad idea! What the heck were they thinking? Me - I didn't know any better then, but they should have.

6" group, across the bench at 100 is a good group with any of them, whether round ball or maxi-types. And trust me, I've tried durn near everything, including glass bedding. Fun to shoot, but lousy in the way of accuracy. I have carried the .50 moose (big target!) hunting a few times without luck, but my CO brother (who has had it for 20 years or so) has taken one deer with it at under 50 yards. All in all, I 'm not that big a fan of TC.....

If I was a serious BP hunter, I might consider re-barreling the .50 with a proper twist for maxis, but probably would not, except as a hobby. I certainly would never again buy anything with a compromise twist!

Inline (of which I own 0,) would be a better way to go for a hunting rifle, if allowed.

If I ever did buy another BP Hawkin style, it would be a .54. Always liked the looks of the Renegade. Well, I like the looks of my currently owned TC's too, but looks aren't much of anything for downing meat.

Last edited by las; 12/06/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

BMR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
TC likely went with the 1-48” twist because every single barrel produced in the J&S Hawken shop was that twist. Granted, a slower twist might very well shoot round balls better and a faster twist might shoot conicals better, but my TC Hawken with original barrel shoots both very accurately.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by las
I own (from back in 70's) a TC 50 Hawkin, built from a kit, a factory-built TC .45 Seneca, plus another Cabelas .45, Hawkin type, Italian made, I think - also kit built - given to me some years later as a completed rifle. All have 45 (48?) twist barrels - bad idea! What the heck were they thinking? Me - I didn't know any better then, but they should have.

6" group, across the bench at 100 is a good group with any of them, whether round ball or maxi-types. And trust me, I've tried durn near everything, including glass bedding. Fun to shoot, but lousy in the way of accuracy. I have carried the .50 moose (big target!) hunting a few times without luck, but my CO brother (who has had it for 20 years or so) has taken one deer with it at under 50 yards. All in all, I 'm not that big a fan of TC.....

If I was a serious BP hunter, I might consider re-barreling the .50 with a proper twist for maxis, but probably would not, except as a hobby. I certainly would never again buy anything with a compromise twist!

Inline (of which I own 0,) would be a better way to go for a hunting rifle, if allowed.

If I ever did buy another BP Hawkin style, it would be a .54. Always liked the looks of the Renegade. Well, I like the looks of my currently owned TC's too, but looks aren't much of anything for downing meat.
Must be your particular rifles or what you're loading them with. My .50 T/C Hawken is very accurate with .490" balls wrapped in .015" pre cut patches seated over a wonder wad and 75 grains of Goex FFFG. It shoots cloverleaf groups at 75 yards with that load. I've killed several deer with it at ranges out to 80 yds. with no complaints.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Have several renegades in 54 and a New Englander in 50. The renegades have a 1/66 TC round ball twist and a 1/28 Green Mountain barrel. Both great shooters. Both will easily hold a 3 inch group at 100 yards, better if I do my part. The 50 cal New Englander is 1/48 and shoots balls and bullets equally well. For maxi balls I like to use a felt wad between bullet and powder. My 54 fast twist shoots great with great plains bullets (no wad) and 100 grn of 3f. The 50 does great with .490 ball .015 patch or a maxi with felt wad and 80 grn of 3f. Just bought a .58 Big Boar for $325.00. Have not shot it yet.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
always enjoyed traditional muzzleloaders & have adopted a good number of TC's ; not really collecting i guess as i consider them all hunting guns to be taken out & used....I also with they still were producing their line of side-hammer guns; for me they have been quite decently accurate & reliable. assorted pix...

a row of .54's:
[Linked Image]

also have 3 of them in .58, quite a few .50's, a couple of .45's, plus several senecas/cherokees..... made several hunts with this cherokee this fall...pic from up in a tree on a nice day about a month or so back:
[Linked Image]

do squirrel hunt with the cherokees & senecas in .32 & .36:.
[Linked Image]

my son took his best muzzleloader buck with this .50 carbine:
[Linked Image]

gray hawk, in a New Englander stock....deer laying on the hillside up above a little ways...that one has been an exceptional shooter, and i've packed it around quite a bit over the last few years.
[Linked Image]

============================================================

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
NICE! hell of a collection Fyrepowrx, in need to get my little 36 on some squirrels this Winter.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Accuracy in the big bores is a function of twist and rifling depth. In the 1/48 the rifling is shallow for the maxi balls. T/C also made 1/66 twist, and the rifling is much deeper for patched round ball. In most cases depth is as important as twist. In the 1700's the Jaeger rifle used by the military was often twisted under 1/30 for patched round ball.

BMR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It's unreal how much this TC Hawken sold for:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792468973

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
684 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,639
Posts18,398,984
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.