Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I like 175 Hornady RN's in my 7x57. Only shot one animal with them though. A smallish piggy, hit her too far back. The thing that impressed me was, it looked like you had shot a coffee cup all the way through her. I've also rang a few gongs with them at times at further distances than my buddies thought I was supposed to be able to with a roundnose. Wish I could find another couple boxes, but will likely just go to the 175 interlock when I run out.

If I were hunting big stuff (elk or moose) inside 300 yards, I could feel a lot of love for a .30-06 with 220 RN's, but probably never will.......

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Somebody's buying 220s, or they'd quit making them.

^^^^^^^ That right there is THE reason any company makes anything. If the sales fall below production feasibility.........they stop. Period.

Advertisement money will be spent on "new and improved"......"state of the art".......and more often than not, more expensive products but not always. Sometimes it's just effort and money spent to get customers to by MORE of something else............literally anything else, in efforts to convince more people they "need" the new product.

(I didn't even mention a certain *ahem* "new and improved" cartridge either. I did good, huh?)

Profit........it's every company's reason to exist.

2 cents
God Bless

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by jorgeI
So it was dark, real dark and was using one of those lousy Leupolds (VX3/30mm tube 3.5X10X50 ill German 4). Range was 52 yards facing. I was up about 20 feet shot between shoulders, severing spine and angling down destroying stuff inside. Recovered on offside ham (note to JB, I DID NOT use "rear ham"). Hornady 220gr RN Interlock. Recovered bullet weighed 159.2 gr. Pass or fail?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'd show you the 130gr TTSX from a much bigger hog, but the hog couldn't hold it. But you knew that.

Exactly what I was thinking, start with a mono metal of 150 or 165 gr and that is what you would end with for retained weight, if they were caught. cool

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So it was dark, real dark and was using one of those lousy Leupolds (VX3/30mm tube 3.5X10X50 ill German 4). Range was 52 yards facing. I was up about 20 feet shot between shoulders, severing spine and angling down destroying stuff inside. Recovered on offside ham (note to JB, I DID NOT use "rear ham"). Hornady 220gr RN Interlock. Recovered bullet weighed 159.2 gr. Pass or fail?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Classic performance. The 220g is deemed passé by some in this era of velo is king. Can't argue with consistent permormance and penetration.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
About 35 - 40 years ago, Western Auto in Hobbs, NM had two boxes of Hornady .308 dia., 220 grain, RN, solid bullets for sale for $2 a box. I bought them and have every intention of loading them up and hunting something with them one of these days.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Way back when the Alaska Dept. of Fish & Game did a penetration test with a bunch of bullets and calibers. That old ought six and 220 grain bullets was near the top of the list. I can't remember the bullet they used though.

I have a couple of 30-06 rifles and both have peep sights so when I pull the scope and take a walk 5 of those 220 grain Partitions are very comforting. I think Phil the bear guy likes them in that Todd Ramierz 30-06.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Why should they not exist? They're still useful in certain situations.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Potsy
I like 175 Hornady RN's in my 7x57. Only shot one animal with them though.

Many years ago I built a redneck 'scout' rifle out of a Chilean Mauser with a pistol scope out on the modified rear sight base. It was used primarily for our mid day walk drives on our lease. The load was a 175 gr Hornady RN loaded to original 1890s specs, about 2300 fps. That rifle and load went 7 for 7 on walking or running deer in the thick stuff....all one shot kills. The damage to the innards of the deer were spectacular. Blood spray out beyond the far side of the deer was impressive. About half of them did run a few yards, none far euf to require a tracking job, but the blood trail was sufficient that even this almost color blind guy could have followed it if needed.

We stopped doing those organized walk drives years ago as our membership aged and the newer guys proved not to be that interested in it. I let a young man have that mauser several years ago that seemed to be fascinated with it. That RN 7mm bullet really smacked them!

Last edited by Hook; 12/11/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The title of this thread reminds me of going into Ketterings Sporting Goods in Annville PA as a teenager looking to buy a box of ammo for our PA bear season. I asked old Paul for a box of 220 grain aught sixes and he replied "220 GRAINS! WHAT DO YOU WANT THOSE FOR? I USED TO HAVE TWO BOXES ON THE SHELF AND I ENDED UP HAVING TO GIVE THEM AWAY!"

And yes he did shout. It was mildly embarrassing. smile

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pass.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

[Linked Image]

The bullet did a great job. I would replace the Leupold though. Leupolds are old school. You need a lighter and sleeker scope, with a higher optical coefficient.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use TTSXs almost exclusively so I know what they can do. As I alluded to in my OP, the hog was NOT broadside, but head on and below me. bullet went through the spine, traversed all the major organs and would up just under the skin of the offside ham, so that's about 3 1/2 feet of hog and bone. That is a lot of penetration even with about a 30% weight loss. A have quite a few of these and I'll continue to use for this hog application. For "serious" game my "go to" is the 168 TTSX.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was referring to the scope. smile I amended my post for clarity.

I hope you have continued success with the Barnes bullets.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Allen917
About 35 - 40 years ago, Western Auto in Hobbs, NM had two boxes of Hornady .308 dia., 220 grain, RN, solid bullets for sale for $2 a box. I bought them and have every intention of loading them up and hunting something with them one of these days.

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My favorite 30 caliber bullet....

Steve spoke of using them in a 300 H & H....I think the coolest round I've ever seen was 220 grain RN in a 300 H & H....just reaked of old school nostalgia....

Since I have a bad habit of thinking outside the box.....

I've handloaded them to function thru a 30/30.... yeah seated real deep, but they actually were the most accurate bullets ever shot out of that old Model 94 that was handed down to me... decades ago...

Using 748 powder, originally in the 1750 fps range....and oh they would still penetrate...

Friend had a 30/30 single shot H & R... and wanted to load the heaviest hardest hitting load he could to
kill a nuisance black bear he said was good sized at his cabin....seated the bullet out to the cannelure...
W 748 stout load, chronographed at 2100 fps....we were both quite surprised and yeah it kicked in the H &R..
but it dropped the nuisance bear....

did the same load in the old Model 94...and experimenting with 5 rounds of brass....loaded them 10 times with that same load of W 748.....primers were still tight...you noticed it when you pulled the trigger tho...
the Model 94 never seemed to mind the load either...

when I feel the need for the 300 Win Mag, my load has always been 80 grains of H 1000 and a 220 grain RN... yeah a little over book max, but that is a risk every handloader has the choice to make or not..
surprising flat shooting at that MV for a Round Nose...sure wacks steel with authority...

one would also be surprised at what an 06 will do with a handloaded 220 grain RN with H4831SC....
I'll just leave it as the Ballisticians over at Nosler told me that you can't get enough 4831 SC in an 06 to over pressurize the case above SAAMI specs...

and finally those old Barnes 250 grain RNs? I have a box or two of them that were given to me that I've never used... might as well consider giving them away to someone....they seem almost as long as a 308 case...

also got a box or two of them 6mm RNs somewhere...I think those were 115 grain....another long bullet for caliber...that I'll probably never load...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You know me bigger is always better !...Pass

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Seafire, I’d be interested in 250 Barnes. Shoot me a pm and maybe we can work out a deal.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The 220gn makes a good thumper.
I keep 220gn Partitions and Woodleigh's on the shelf.
Big animals in timber or semi open areas which really means usual hunting ranges.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
My favorite 30 caliber bullet....

Steve spoke of using them in a 300 H & H....I think the coolest round I've ever seen was 220 grain RN in a 300 H & H....just reaked of old school nostalgia....

Since I have a bad habit of thinking outside the box.....

I've handloaded them to function thru a 30/30.... yeah seated real deep, but they actually were the most accurate bullets ever shot out of that old Model 94 that was handed down to me... decades ago...

Using 748 powder, originally in the 1750 fps range....and oh they would still penetrate...

Friend had a 30/30 single shot H & R... and wanted to load the heaviest hardest hitting load he could to
kill a nuisance black bear he said was good sized at his cabin....seated the bullet out to the cannelure...
W 748 stout load, chronographed at 2100 fps....we were both quite surprised and yeah it kicked in the H &R..
but it dropped the nuisance bear....

did the same load in the old Model 94...and experimenting with 5 rounds of brass....loaded them 10 times with that same load of W 748.....primers were still tight...you noticed it when you pulled the trigger tho...
the Model 94 never seemed to mind the load either...

when I feel the need for the 300 Win Mag, my load has always been 80 grains of H 1000 and a 220 grain RN... yeah a little over book max, but that is a risk every handloader has the choice to make or not..
surprising flat shooting at that MV for a Round Nose...sure wacks steel with authority...

one would also be surprised at what an 06 will do with a handloaded 220 grain RN with H4831SC....
I'll just leave it as the Ballisticians over at Nosler told me that you can't get enough 4831 SC in an 06 to over pressurize the case above SAAMI specs...

and finally those old Barnes 250 grain RNs? I have a box or two of them that were given to me that I've never used... might as well consider giving them away to someone....they seem almost as long as a 308 case...

also got a box or two of them 6mm RNs somewhere...I think those were 115 grain....another long bullet for caliber...that I'll probably never load...

I loaded Hornady 220's in a Marlin 30-30 once. They keyholed.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mike, guess either a difference in twist or I was leaning on them harder than you were....

in that mid 60s Model 94, they were the most accurate shooting bullets out of that rifle ever since I inherited it.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
161 members (35, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.