Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks for the feedback and experiences guys. I'm pretty sure it's not the temperature, as it was 35-40* actually, but the wind bit hard, and I had the unit in my coat pocket. I feel that it was the unit's inability to read targets in poor, dull light. It wouldn't read yellow grass sandhills, mesquites, deer, nada, nothing past about 300, but most of the time all I got was - - - -, no reading at all whether the unit was perched on my sticks, the truck, fence post, or whatever. I also know the laser receiver window wasn't blocked as I've done that before too. I'd rather not spend much more than $1k if I don't have to, therefore no newer Geovids, Vectronix, etc.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Jg,
If you can hack the glass quality, i would go Laserforce. I have tried them all and feel its the best bang for the buck. Will give it a heavy work out in africa this year, however thats obviously not a great cold weather test. At least I will have a decent warranty if they fail.
R

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Thanks for the feedback and experiences guys. I'm pretty sure it's not the temperature, as it was 35-40* actually, but the wind bit hard, and I had the unit in my coat pocket. I feel that it was the unit's inability to read targets in poor, dull light. It wouldn't read yellow grass sandhills, mesquites, deer, nada, nothing past about 300, but most of the time all I got was - - - -, no reading at all whether the unit was perched on my sticks, the truck, fence post, or whatever.

Agree. I think we got off on a tangent with the temps. When its dim and/or wet you got to go Indian. grin

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Indian.......Haha!!!!!

Rhettsaker, I bet you have the time of your life in Africa, at least I hope you do. I'd still like to hear your thoughts on that Lasreforce. What's your take on glass quality?

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by ctsmith

Agree. I think we got off on a tangent with the temps. When its dim and/or wet you got to go Indian. grin

It doesn't work for all situations, but when I can, I'll often use a GPS app to pre-range various terrain features in my area. (I use GPS Kit on an iPhone, others probably do the same.) When comparing ranges with that method to my Leica LRF 1200, the numbers are very close if I'm careful. The big advantages of the GPS map method are that it works at any temperature and any conditions, and at any distance, but the disadvantage is that it's slower and not really something to use on the fly. However, I can usually get a solid range from it within ~30-40 seconds.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Jg,

I think the Laserforce optical quality is a definite step below the geovids I had (ended up giving my geovids to my Ph after he saved my butt on a cape buffalo). However, I am very impressed with the rangefinder on the Nikons. Very fast, accurate, and seems to get readings when I struggle with my Leica RF. As you know, once you do Africa, everything else pales a bit in comparison.
R

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yondering, good point. The OnX line distance function is what I use.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I’ve owned 10x42 Leica BRF’s, Zeiss Victory 8 and 10x 45’s, and currently use 8x42 HD-B Leica. None of them worked in thick fog or heavy snow. When I can’t see more than 300-400yds w/naked eye I expect to get 25-35yd readings from the LRF’s. Too much “stuff” to diffuse the beam. Happened to me the day before Thanksgiving this year. Buddies EL Range 10x42’s didn’t work either.

None of the above have ever given me a problem in cold clear days. The coldest I’ve used any of them was -21f ambient while calling coyotes. They worked fine.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I think most are missing the obvious, JGRaider started this thread "Sick of Battling LRF's"............well then switch to a ORF

I have a Swiss Wild ORF that suffers from none of the issues you mention (although it has issues of it's own), would be happy to loan it to you for free if you pay freight !!

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks for the feedback and experiences guys. I'm pretty sure it's not the temperature, as it was 35-40* actually, but the wind bit hard, and I had the unit in my coat pocket. I feel that it was the unit's inability to read targets in poor, dull light. It wouldn't read yellow grass sandhills, mesquites, deer, nada, nothing past about 300, but most of the time all I got was - - - -, no reading at all whether the unit was perched on my sticks, the truck, fence post, or whatever. I also know the laser receiver window wasn't blocked as I've done that before too. I'd rather not spend much more than $1k if I don't have to, therefore no newer Geovids, Vectronix, etc.

The laser doesn’t care if it’s light out. Only whether the target will reflect the laser energy, or if the atmosphere disperses the laser energy.

Are you using the same brand of battery for all these range finders having issues. Not all batteries are alike.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the money, I don't think the Sig Kilo can be beat. I've gotten readings on signs and vehicles out to 3500 yards, tree lines out to 1200, and cows out to 1000. Ranging a target inside any realistic shooting distance is no problem at all. I have the 2000 but the 2200 and 2400 are supposedly even better.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My Sig Kilo 2000 has served me very well.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by gunner500
Read this post and grabbed a RF off the table by the back door too see, it's a cold, wet, misty, foggy day here as well, just ranged 710 yards up on the mountain, all the way up to low fog level in the trees, everything else visible in the pasture all the way back to 25 yards flashed a reading.

The Nikon Black RangeX is what I used, don't know what they cost, don't figure they're too expensive, an old Bud gave me that one over six months ago.

Same here, never had a problem with my Swarovski ranging through rain, fog or snow.

I love equipment that works, wont tolerate [keep] anything that doesn't.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FOsteology
ZEISS Victory 8x26mm has worked the best in those conditions (cold, damp, dreary, hanging rain/mist) from my experience.

There is a local pawn shop with a Zeiss LRF I could get for $299.00. Let me know if you are interested...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by gunner500
Read this post and grabbed a RF off the table by the back door too see, it's a cold, wet, misty, foggy day here as well, just ranged 710 yards up on the mountain, all the way up to low fog level in the trees, everything else visible in the pasture all the way back to 25 yards flashed a reading.

The Nikon Black RangeX is what I used, don't know what they cost, don't figure they're too expensive, an old Bud gave me that one over six months ago.

It's not the laser travelling through the cold air that's the problem, but the RF unit itself getting cold.

JG,

This may or may not be helpful, but I've never seen a RF that worked more reliably in all conditions that my old Bushnell Fusion 1600.

Was lurking awhile here last night before bed and read your post, took my Nikon RF out and set it on the pickup bumper all night, it's only 38 deg here this morning, fog on the mountain is a little higher, still misty and cloudy, was able to easily range up to 951 yards again up to low fog level up in the trees.

Will try again when we get a good 8 degree morning later this winter.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Excellent info guys, thanks again, and thanks again for the offers received. I'm going to try and find something around here though. Timing is bad for screwing around with this LRF stuff......I'll be off for a week hunting and need to get something done today or tomorrow.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

Have you looked at the newer Leica CRF 2400-R which is slightly more but features:
Eye-Safe IR Laser
10-2400 Yard Measurement Range
0.1-Yard Readings for First 200 Yards
Scan Mode Measurements Every 0.5 Seconds
AquaDura Coated Lenses
Integrated Inclinometer with EHR System
Red LED Display with Auto Brightness
Phase-Corrected 7x24 Monocular
Waterproof and Submersible
Runs on One CR2 Battery

These 2 features,IMO, make this a stand out unit:
0.1-Yard Readings for First 200 Yards
Scan Mode Measurements Every 0.5 Seconds

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Excellent info guys, thanks again, and thanks again for the offers received. I'm going to try and find something around here though. Timing is bad for screwing around with this LRF stuff......I'll be off for a week hunting and need to get something done today or tomorrow.

Order you a Nikon Black Range X for 450 bucks JG, you wont be sorry. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

JG,

It's a sample of one, so hardly even a data point, but... I know I'm extremely happy with my Leica 2700b. It's ranged to 2400+ meters, freehand and in full sun, over fresh snow. I haven't had it long, but so far I'd instantly spend the money again. If the 2700 isn't available local to you, or in the budget- Brad's suggestion is a very good one. IMO.

Or again, maybe the new Nikons are worth a shot? Feedback so far is excellent, and supposedly lifetime warranty coverage for the entire unit.

The SIGs seem to be hit or miss. Great, if you get a good one. But again, my perspective on them may be tainted by the fact that a good hunting bud had to send his in for poor performance. It was replaced.

Good luck in your LRF search and hunting!

Last edited by Wrongside; 12/07/18.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,968 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.