Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I’am hoping this thread turns into a question, suggestion, and answers from those hunters/shooters who have learned how to make a shot someone else may find difficult or impossible to make...FEEL FREE TO CHANGE THE SHOT from what I’m having difficulty with...Hopefully, someone will offer a suggestion on how to make the shots, or a way to practice to improve our shooting abilities.

The toughest shot for me is a “running” deer or elk moving left or right at 200 yards or more. I won’t even attempt this shot off my pack. I can’t follow or pass thru the animal well enough to do it... Ambushing has been effective at under 150 yards...Anything further, I won’t do it out of fear I will misjudge when I need to touch off.

This question fits under LR because some of you can make shots on animals running at LR distances. Which I consider an accomplished skill, I would like to improve upon...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
BP-B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Never up never in 😉

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fredIII
Never up never in 😉

Translation: Wake you up, or you’ll over sleep. 🙂

“Molon Labe”
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Never up never in 😉

LOL. Never hurry when the corks in.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Just rest of the arm of your couch.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
In seriousness wind is my enemy over position, target movement ect

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Never up never in 😉

The hunt don’t start until I get done puking.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never up never in 😉

LMFAO!!!!!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’am hoping this thread turns into a question, suggestion, and answers from those hunters/shooters who have learned how to make a shot someone else may find difficult or impossible to make...FEEL FREE TO CHANGE THE SHOT from what I’m having difficulty with...Hopefully, someone will offer a suggestion on how to make the shots, or a way to practice to improve our shooting abilities.

The toughest shot for me is a “running” deer or elk moving left or right at 200 yards or more. I won’t even attempt this shot off my pack. I can’t follow or pass thru the animal well enough to do it... Ambushing has been effective at under 150 yards...Anything further, I won’t do it out of fear I will misjudge when I need to touch off.

This question fits under LR because some of you can make shots on animals running at LR distances. Which I consider an accomplished skill, I would like to improve upon...😎

Go out east and shoot jack rabbits for awhile, especially in winter. It will definitely improve your shooting at moving game. However, keep in mind it is difficult at times to tell how fast an elk is moving when they are out there any distance. They cover more ground than you imagine from just watching them, even just walking along. I'm pretty picky about running shots on deer and elk because of this, but I've managed a few when I felt I was " in the zone"... wink

The shot I have issues with at times is the quick off hand shot where other elk are around and you have to wait for them to clear to take your shot. Sometimes they are only clear for a second so you have to be on target for a while until the spot opens up. Bipods help if there is any distance and they aren't spooked especially if they swivel. If they are close, a hasty sling hold is about the only option.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Never up never in 😉

This was a top secret ritual before slaying fur....Or, it was 😀😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister

Go out east and shoot jack rabbits for awhile, especially in winter. It will definitely improve your shooting at moving game. However, keep in mind it is difficult at times to tell how fast an elk is moving when they are out there any distance. They cover more ground than you imagine from just watching them, even just walking along. I'm pretty picky about running shots on deer and elk because of this, but I've managed a few when I felt I was " in the zone"... wink

The shot I have issues with at times is the quick off hand shot where other elk are around and you have to wait for them to clear to take your shot. Sometimes they are only clear for a second so you have to be on target for a while until the spot opens up. Bipods help if there is any distance and they aren't spooked especially if they swivel. If they are close, a hasty sling hold is about the only option.

Bob

Done a fair bit of Rabbit shooting in the snow on the East side outta Christmas valley. We always start out with our 22’s, make a big circle which leads back to the truck and our 20 gauges. You are right about making snap shots on bunnies with a rimfire. It’s excellent practice. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used to go to Christmas Valley but it's getting harder to find places to hunt down there. Last time we went it was around Burns and there were tons of bunnies to shoot at- and a few coyotes thrown in for fun. .22's are great practice for game shooting- rabbits, sage rats, crows, whatever is legal and close enough, and needs eliminating.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
😎 too much hooch last night...

“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thought about 2 things...

My basketball coach in elementary school told us that he had stayed at the gym all night one time trying to miss a free throw. Even though obviously he was (and still is) full of it. However, the implication of no matter the shot one needs to practice.

The other thought was about my high school shop teacher. His left arm had been damaged by polio when he was small and it just hung by his side. However, with effort, he could use the power of his body to get the arm up enough to rest firearm on his arm to shoot. He even hunted quail and ducks and was a very good wing shot. Another student asked him one day what his favorite shot at ducks was. His reply was "swimming slowly from right to left".

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Jackrabbits are great practice!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That’s why shotguns were made...For shooting fast flying, zig-zagging, feathered and small fur targets. I’m not a bad shotgunner. I was taught from the start to shoot with both eyes open...Which I do with pistols, ironsights and especially when I’m shooting pdogs and such behind a scope for hours at a time...

I always lose the big fur animals in my scope at a distance when it’s running past/out of my FOV in my scope...With a deer, it’s the “bounce-bounce-bounce” that is difficult for me to follow and time the shot.

As I said earlier, I don’t take this shot. But, I still try and follow the animal through my scope and I’m amazed at how some guys can consistently dump a coyote at 200 plus yards at a full run. I don’t consider this “snap” shooting. It’s a skill some have for doing it from years of practicing on coyotes maybe. 😎

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't shoot at running game!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Strangely, for some reason I do better shooting running big game at longer ranges. I can't bring myself to aim on hair at running animals. My most amazing (stunt) shots have been on big game at 380 plus yards that were running. Yet I have missed several running or trotting animals within 50 yds. Pull up, shoot in front of it, shake it off, wait for it to slow down, shoot again.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What's the hardest shot for me to not make??

Why, none of 'em. They're all easy for me to not make.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I wont shoot at running game, hardest shot is 500 yard steel with a Sharps rifle using full buckhorn barrel sights in a gotdamn Oklahoma crosswind.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
723 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 71 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.