Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just have made smaller items with Black Cherry but it is very stable once dried and should be great for the pistol grips. I put potassium permangenate on it and then let it sit in the sun to speed up the darkening process. If it is porous I seal with garnet shellac and then do an oil or poly/oil finish.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Ideally, shouldn't you wait a long time before you cut it into boards?
I'd seal the ends and I don't think I'd even take the bark off for at least 3 years.

Absolutely NO on waiting to cut! Cut ASAP though cutting the tree when the amount of water in the tree is lowest is a good plan. Once the log is down the wood starts losing water. Almost all will be lost through the ends and they will split because of the erratic water loss.

Cut into lumber, sticker carefully and slow down the drying. Air drying produces wood as good as it can get, it just takes time. Kiln drying NEVER improves wood. It simply dries it cost effectively (quickly) with an acceptable level of degrade.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cv540
Wondering about stocks for a Ruger Service Six made out of cherry. Can't seem to find any for sale online. Wondering if anyone here on the Fire has any experience making handgun grips out of cherry.

Cherry makes fine grips and heavily figured cherry can be gorgeous in small pieces.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen a couple or few bench rest rifles made of it. I believe they were all laminates though.
They were very beautiful.

Last edited by calikooknic; 12/06/18.

Sean
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just found a big stack of old gun pics and intended to post a couple pictures of cherry stocks... sadly, something spilled during the quake is keeping them together as one ugly chunk... I will look for others...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seldom found chunks of cherry large enough for a stock unless it is Eastern cherry , which is very straight grained and fairly plain, which is why it is usually used for furniture. The few Western cherry blanks I've seen with figure were very nice but a bit heavy for my taste. Since most Western cherry is grown wild, it is unusual to find a large enough one for stocks or a trunk that hasn't rotted, cracked, or had some kind of disease before it gets large enough for a stock so most of the cherry stocks I see around here are laminated pieces.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Anyone know of anybody who would do pistol stocks in cherry? No luck finding any and think its beyond my capability...pounding nails can be a struggle.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've seldom found chunks of cherry large enough for a stock unless it is Eastern cherry , which is very straight grained and fairly plain, which is why it is usually used for furniture. The few Western cherry blanks I've seen with figure were very nice but a bit heavy for my taste. Since most Western cherry is grown wild, it is unusual to find a large enough one for stocks or a trunk that hasn't rotted, cracked, or had some kind of disease before it gets large enough for a stock so most of the cherry stocks I see around here are laminated pieces.

Bob

I have several hundred board feet of spectacular, highly-figured eastern cherry, 8/4 and kiln-dried though. From the same tree I have a bunch more 4/4 also and some of both thicknesses run up to 28" wide and they are 12" long IIRC. Hanging out at Amish sawmills will find you all the fancy cherry you could hope to use in a lifetime for dirt cheap... and the time to dry it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just wondering what you're doing hanging out at Amish sawmills ? wink

I'd love to see some of your stash of cherry once you clean up from the earthquake. How did you fare from the shaking? Anything important lost?

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sheister
Just wondering what you're doing hanging out at Amish sawmills ? wink

I'd love to see some of your stash of cherry once you clean up from the earthquake. How did you fare from the shaking? Anything important lost?

Bob

Four decades ago I spent quite a bit of time in sawmills and watched a lot of incredible wood get cut... I only bought what I could afford, and it was wet... It is now dry! wink

A lot of glass and china hit the floor, some with some value in the monetary sense, but nothing that really made me sad or sentimental. Bent some silver pieces pretty badly. Monetary type losses would be painful to replace if going that way. I keep finding things that make me happy they survived. It could have been a lot worse.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by cv540
Resurrecting this old thread. Wonder if anyone has any pictures of cherry stocked rifles, knife handles, or pistol stocks

Yes, Cherry is luscious to work with. I made my Swede from a tree that fell in my woods. Checkers wonderful. Sitka deer is correct about drying. Mine was up in the barn for years when I searched for stock wood. I took it to the basement to dry more with the dehumidifier down there, another month before I cut. OOPS, files are too large to attach.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,360 guests, and 725 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.